No downtime appreciation bonuses?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Calia, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Calia Journeyman

Everquest II is rewarding their patient fanbase with double xp and other goodies following their 24 hour downtime on 4/20. Why am I not seeing similar for EQ1 when ours is significantly longer?
    Godsanvil likes this.
  2. Cicelee Augur

The appreciation should be the game is still going on after 22 years.
  3. Calia Journeyman

EQ2 has been going for 18 years. I fail to see your point.
  4. Derd Augur

The point is every downtime is to keep the game running. Why do people feel so slighted if they don't offer something for the downtime? Did you have to get a cookie to be good or a toy to shut up in the store as kids.

And we just had bonus exp and rares recently .
  5. Calia Journeyman

No the point is no one in EQ2 asked for this. It was offered. Offered by the same Dev that runs EQ1. Only thing is one gets a "cookie" and the other doesn't. I swear EQ1 fanboys will defend anything.
    Allayna and Godsanvil like this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure it would be nice, but we don't need multiple threads complaining/demanding a bonus/compensation just because there is some downtime in the game. It does get a bit old seeing all the posts asking for something every time the game has downtime.
    Jennre, Leigo, minimind and 3 others like this.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It is already being discussed in the 2 other threads.

My belief is that they are gauging the severity of the EQ1 downtime (which tends to have more issues) to decide on what compensation to give (25% or 50% bonus, over 1 weekend or 1 week, etc).
  8. Febb Augur

Did EQ2 just have an anniversary with bonuses?
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You need to remember that EQ2 is the unconsciously favoured child of Darkpaw.

Personally I don't really mind they got a bonus, nor do I care EQ didn't.
    EQ2 needs all the help it gets being such a smaller & less profitable game when it was supposed to be the next big thing that people were expected to leave EQ for :D /duck

Regarding bonuses for EQ Downtime:

Dreamweaver— 04/16/2021
    At this time there is no plan to do bonuses. Since several bonus periods just ended.

Regarding Bonuses for EQ2:

Dreamweaver— 04/16/2021
    and they didnt rabble rouse
    [12:06 AM]

besides EQ2 is angrier about the bonuses because they're not the ones they want
    Gyurika Godofwar and Dythan like this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

EQ2 gets a lot of new seasonal content. They even got an extra zone and raid a few weeks ago.

They have a newer engine so it's probably easier to do things there like add content.

But they - arguably - have a lower overall population, though.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Complaining about not getting them and complaining about not getting the ones you want?
    Benito likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Looks that way
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Although I don't care about a bonus I do care about Dreamweaver's excuse about not giving one to EQ.

Dream is basically saying downtime issues don't matter if it is around regular bonus times. Whether bonuses ended recently etc should have no impact on it.

Now if after the downtime they say next month we will have 3 days of whatever bonus etc... that would be fine. But saying the reason for no bonus is we just had some of the regular yearly ones we expect is foolish.

They need to treat both games the same AND not use foolish reasons not to give a bonus.
    Zynt likes this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There's no argument, they do.

Figures as of 30th September 2020

Monthly Active Users (MAU) aka - everyone including F2P
    EQ 82,000 - EQ2 29,000

Members - Subscribers
    EQ 69,000 - EQ2 - 21,000

EBITDA by game
    (Percentage of Daybreak Game company's EBITDA, EQ is Daybreak's most profitable game)
    EQ 30% - EQ2 17%

YTD bookings
    EQ $11.5m - EQ2 $6.9m

EQ2 had 30% of the number of subscribers EQ had
    EQ2 had 35% of the number of monthly active users EQ had

EQ is therefore around three times the population of EQ2
    Zynt, Gyurika Godofwar and Nennius like this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why don't they just start making giving us a different bonus every day of the year? At some point getting a bonus loses its value.
    Duder likes this.
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I accept that. I'm just qualifying my statement so I don't get attacked by any EQ2 players on here.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Why?
    minimind, Skuz and Nennius like this.
  18. bortage spammin lifetaps

I dunno about you guys but I appreciate that the downtime is going to give me a chance to chip away at my backlogged steam library a little bit, did you know that Duke Nukem Forever finally released and also sucks? I had no idea!
    Jennre, minimind and Karango like this.
  19. Nolrog Augur

Which sums up the forums pretty accurately.
  20. Hayzeus Augur

The people asking for bonuses are looking at it through the lens of them (the devs) being in business for altruistic reasons. They're not. Most companies give bonuses in order to protect their core business from bleeding off.

Why would they bait the trap when the prey (EQ1 player base) willingly walk into the trap without bait? None of you are going anywhere if they do not offer you a bonus, and both they and you all know it. So they won't offer you a bonus. I'll allow for a slim chance at a bonus if threads like this one or the other requisite 10+ threads over the next 72 hours create enough fervor that they feel too much business may bleed off. If that happens, they may staunch the bleed with whatever level of bonus they feel will placate the majority of the blood cells (player base).

And as others here have pointed out, once a bonus is offered, there will be another 5+ threads as to why they picked the wrong bonus, and a few of you will be horrified that the bonus doesn't coincide with your own individual needs. Each of those threads will have people defending the bonus by stating the playerbase should be appreciative of any bonus at all. Then, someone will say "but they should have offered us our pick from a range of available bonuses."

And then once it all starts to settle down, a troll or two will post something to spark up a final gasp of two more pages of useless posts (likely with at least one McDonald's french fry analogy)
    Nivek and Zynt like this.