No Changes to VP Key

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gheed, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Triconix Augur

I'll bet you 10 krono they made at least 1 QOL every monthly patch this year
    Stymie and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  2. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Keys are just time sinks plain and simple. In the past they were a delaying tactic used to buy time for the developers to finish zones after the expansion is released. In my experience, by the time a guild has keyed most of their members Luclin comes out and Veeshan's Peak loot is no longer worth the trouble and risk vs. reward.

If keys are such a great design mechanic, then why not require keys for every dungeon?

Why are there no keys required for Fear, Hate, Growth?

Suggestion: Get rid of the key requirements for Veeshan's Peak once and for all. It is challening enough without requiring arduous keying proceess. This solution would remove much of the toxicity for TLP servers that are on Kunark and help perserve the sanity of the devs/moderators that have to deal with this every time a TLP server comes out.
    fptackle, Yova, Keella and 3 others like this.
  3. Brontus EQ Player Activist

A few years ago Daybreak nerfed the charmable mobs in Veeshan's Peak and made them uncharmable. So they do have the time when it comes to nerfs sadly. Time for quality of life changes? Not so much.
    Yova and Duder like this.
  4. Ravanta Suffer Augur

The entire game is a time sink.

If you don't think the VP quest is worth doing, don't do it.

People that do think the VP quest (or any quest for that matter) is worth doing, they do the quest. Their time spent doing it, results in the reward for completing it. And it's a shared experience.

People who have played on multiple TLP's, who have done the quest and others like it over and over and over again, always make that decision. It's really quite simple, if you don't think a quest is worth doing, don't do it.

You will miss out on the camaraderie. (sheesh that word is hard to spell)

Bro's! We killed Phara Dar for the first time, for the 10th time!

You will miss out on the shenanigans.

Man, I would have had my key finished 4 days ago, but I missed out on an ancient jasarth because some troll lied to me and told me they had a rotting jasarth corpse for me on the other side of the zone!

You will miss out on the drama.

Alright, we need a dragon defender. Who can volunteer as tribute?

Polekn and Koshk like this.
  5. Stymie Pendragon

I may be wrong, but I think the intent is to spend that time raiding VP. :)
    Brontus likes this.
  6. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Solution: If any of the devs actually had to complete the VP quest on a TLP play character with no GM powers, I guarantee that it would be removed promptly.

Waiting for random mobs to spawn is not heroic in any sense of the word, it's torturous and mind-numbing just like waiting in line for a new iPhone or camping overnight to see a new Star Wars film. Perhaps someday, MMO design will evolve from being based on this primitive and silly mechanic.
    fptackle likes this.
  7. LeetKronolord Journeyman

You're just seething because you won't be able to bring all of your 150+ zerg guild into VP. Cope.
  8. Triconix Augur

You may be right, but it doesn't take away from the fact that VP key is one of the most toxic, unfulfilling quests in the game. It is unnecessarily time consuming for a zone that is darn near worthless for a good chunk of the players.

There's no mystique or grandeur about the quest now. Everyone has done it multiple times over. It's all known and written out. VP serves as nothing more than a testament to how bad itemization and game design was back then. It's a bad quest resulting in access to an even worse zone. The access quest should be completely scraped and revamped.

I'd rather do POR every year than have to put up with the mind numbing bad design that is Kunark ever again
    fptackle, Keella and Brontus like this.
  9. Gheed Is not reading your response

Don't think you've ever been on a server with me if you think I zerg but good one nonetheless. No need to get so upset, pal.

Its really simple.

1. If the VT quest had substantial rework to basically negate every bottleneck, this quest, which has even more bottlenecks, should be reworked.

2. If Yelinak has substantially less time in Kunark, the quest should be expedited.

3. The quest is not enjoyable, engaging, or interesting. It is a mind-numbing experience of sitting at a singular rare mob spawn point DPS racing multiple other groups leading to nothing but toxicity.
    fptackle, PatCleric and Triconix like this.
  10. Ranari Journeyman

If VP was worthwhile to raid, then the quest might actually be warranted, but it's not. Here we are, 20 years later, and VP is largely ignored. It has no bearing on a guild's effectiveness in raiding Velious.

This screams bad/toxic design.
  11. dargoth New Member

I agree that this game is a time sink, when i was younger i had all the time in the world to play video games/mmos all day - every day almost. The game has been out for over 20 years, people get older and have responsibilities as an adult where you dont have the time to play like you did when you were younger without a care in the world. Some of us that want to play on a tlp to relive that nostalgic feeling, but it's unfortunate we cannot. wonder why a company would not want to help all audiences not just the die harders that can still find the time to play all day every day.
    Gheed likes this.
  12. Ravanta Suffer Augur

"Competition" on a TLP literally creates excitement, drama, and memories. You don't have to agree. If you don't want any of that, don't participate.

I've only played on two TLP's, but the server dynamics were very different on both of them, so even though I was in the same guild with a lot of the same people, the actual experience was very different.
    The dynamics of competing for VP key pieces including trakanon's teeth, the rare spawns and yes even the ground spawns was an organizational objective that added some absolutely needed spice to the game. These are the things that made it worth "doing it all over again" for many people...

Sorry that you don't find a game fun. Perhaps another type of game would be fun for you.
  13. TheAgenda Augur

People wanna raidlog so bad
  14. Gheed Is not reading your response

Yeah, the competitive aspect of standing in a zone for hours while trying to click an orb on the ground that spawns every 45 minutes before someone else sure is exciting.

Man, the competition of whoever gets the first nuke off on pained soul or rotting skeleton that you see once an hour sure is exhilarating.

Whew, that freaking competition of running through FV slaying thousands of grey mobs to then beeline straight for AJ that somehow everyone knows spawned is awesome!

I will use the same argument you used. If you want exciting competition, maybe find a new game. If DPS racing for level 38 monsters once an hour is exciting to you, congrats. For the majority, that isn't the case.
    fptackle, BradH, PatCleric and 4 others like this.
  15. Triconix Augur

I wasn't aware sitting in line for hours waiting for it to be "my turn" among a group of a dozen or so strangers to loot a piece of a key off a level 30 mob requiring zero effort to kill was competitive, exhilarating, or fun. It's the in-game equivalent of sitting in traffic on the GWB (George Washingston Bridge for the uninformed) during rush hour.

I also find it wildly entertaining waiting for a ground spawn when it's clear an obvious people are using a combination of auto clickers, SEQ, or worse programs. How is a solo warrior gunning directly for AJ across the entire zone? Seems a bit suspect if you ask me.
    fptackle, Yova, Keella and 5 others like this.
  16. MustardonWatermelon Elder

How do you even know that a solo warrior is gunning directly for AJ across the entire zone?
  17. Triconix Augur

Because when I was farming AJ on Aradune it's exactly what happened? Iksar war came out of nobody with nobody else in the area besides me at the time after AJ spawned on top of my head.
  18. MustardonWatermelon Elder

If I was looking for AJ I would put anyone else I thought was looking for it on xtar and watch their targets while I kept running around the entire zone, looking for AJ.
  19. Ravanta Suffer Augur

People make plans for multiple days for new TLP launches and expansion unlocks. They compete for everything. And it's fun for them.

Meanwhile, here you are saying that a zone is trash that most people don't even want to go into, complain about a quest that you also think is unrewarding to do. But because it's not fun for you, you want to completely remove it entirely, and for what? You don't even want to go into the zone at all.
  20. Triconix Augur

And how would they know exactly where I was on the map across the zone?