No 3rd party boxing software server

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ghubuk, Jan 28, 2019.

1. code-zero Augur

Then what's the point of a free transfer in if not to lure players to your Norrathian version of North Korea?
    Endaar likes this.
  2. Ghubuk Augur

What??
  3. code-zero Augur

This isn't difficult to comprehend.

You want a server that will require an all access account, that has a free transfer to that server. And for paying your subscription you get the privilege of having to allow spyware to be run on your computer and be subjected to a permanent ban on the account should something seem to be amiss?

The very best that could come of such a thing is that people could be griefed in a truly nasty manner by having a character transferred there by a vindictive ex who then runs a trial version of I S B o x and they lose everything forever
    Metanis likes this.
  4. Ghubuk Augur

Again...............what????
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I don't think he has to use third party software to know if he wants to use it or not. It sounds more like he feels he is a pretty competent true boxer and does not want to compete with those using third party software.

I have to wonder if compliance is the problem though. Would Daybreak and SOE before it have been harder and more unforgiving on third party software if enforcing compliance was easy? I guess forcing everyone to have gold accounts would help pay for enforcement but we have that with TLP servers and DB still seems to have a problem with enforcement.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think the wind blew your tinfoil hat off.
  7. Ghubuk Augur

Just to keep it clear for people, not true boxer. I use one computer to play four accounts (no 3rd party boxing software).
  8. Dreadmore Augur

I think it's an unnecessary question and this is a really expensive and ineffective way to try to answer that.

But I am curious too.
  9. Ceffener Augur

We had years before free to play and people still used software to help them box. At some point they decided (in theory) policing them wasn’t worth the effort. They did compromise and give TLP truebox.

I think the wanting boxing but only certain boxing is a little strange. And where do you draw the line? ALT + TAB is acceptable, but what about hitting windows + 1? Keyboard macro that allows you to switch between boxes with a single key press? Keyboards with more buttons than a standard QWERTY? Mouse with side buttons? All these things give you an advantage over people without them even in a ALT + TAB only scenario.

At least with the truebox compromise the argument was “If you want to box, you have to do it the only way that was possible at launch”. Even then, hardwiring a keyboard to send different commands to multiple machines on a single key press...no third party tools needed.
  10. Angahran Augur

There is a world of difference between em queue (packet sniffer) and eye ess boxer (keyboard/mouse replicator).
    Are you also planning on banning basically all software that comes with 'gaming' keyboards and mice ?
  11. Aurastrider Augur

I underlined this word specifically because imo this seems to be the driving force behind why most people hate boxing software. Outside of Zek I honestly don't get it. Sure some people play EQmangelo and that is what keeps them coming back but never once have I considered EQ to be a competitive game against other players. Sure there is the resource factor but the antiboxer would argue that anyone playing more than one toon is a greedy SOB making a true boxer or alt tab boxer just a lessor form of evil. In reality most of this is just some fictitious competition that some people have created and want a level playing field even though the players they are competing against are not actually even competing against them they are just playing the game. If this game had a leaderboard like some games do with rewards for making the top % after x amount of time I could see the complaints but EQ isn't one of those games.
    NeverPayForLag and code-zero like this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

@aura I was just going to post the same thing, but you beat me to it.

You said it better than I could have, too :)
  13. code-zero Augur

I personally know two people who've had characters deleted by angry spouses who also play the game. That was some real guild drama right there.

Back then CS would still recover deleted characters but a perma ban server with free one way transfer can take spite to a whole new level
  14. NeverPayForLag Augur

@aurastrider: I had the same thing in mind now. Some are so "over-rightous" that they think it has to do with equal rights and the same chance - which I have read in the last years often - but there is no competition on life servers except the raid race - and for some to beat the last expansion. I think more about possible nerfs like in the last years if I want to beat this expansion and to avoid these nerfs. Else I give a darn on who is the best or faster. Many people who are complaining don't take into account that "life" compared to "TLP" has much less incentive to "race" faster then a "competition". But some people need it. They should have their own server. The TLP are such examples. Like for some a new expansion. And the question of the OP is the same. It will be again a "competition server" for most. Some need the illusion to be better if they beat somebody to give them a good feeling in their life...
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Sorry my bad I meant true boxer ie real boxer... thank you for making the correction.
    Ghubuk likes this.