Next TLP should be a two box server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Iyvy, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

I use Synergy. It doesn't multicast. It allows you to control one PC at a time. One. Do the other software KVMs allow this?

The 18 man boxers aren't using software KVMs to do what they do.
  2. Iyvy Augur

Synergy is against the rules is it not? You are using one mouse and keyboard to control multiple computers...
    Nolrog likes this.
  3. Machentoo Augur

It seems to be a grey area. I know several people who had conversations with GM's about using it and did not receive any action, pretty early after Phinny launched. And it is not something that they appear able to restrict through software means (ala ixboxer or m q). But it does seem to at least violate the letter of the truebox rules. No one has ever said anything official one way or another that I am aware of, so we are left to speculate and argue and debate (as is unfortunately so often the case with these things.)
  4. a_librarian Augur

Software KVM doesn't violate the letter of the truebox rule. Every client is running on its own PC, and the rule doesn't require input from unique keyboards and mice. The only input rule as far as I know is the built in disconnect for sending simultaneous keystrokes. Also the general rule against AFK automated play.

You could argue it violates the spirit of the rule, but I believe hardware KVM switches have been around at least as long as EQ and serious boxers were using those tools from the start.

I think more attention should be on players using virtual machines and full on automation or hacks. These cheats are common with the professional farmers and are blatantly against the rules. Don't worry about people using KVMs, instead focus on the brazen hackers who lock down content to make money
  5. Iyvy Augur

It absolutely does... It's literally the same thing as just loading them all onto your own computer, the only difference is owning additional computers, you're still running it off of one machine. It is not within the spirit OR the letter of the rule
  6. a_librarian Augur

Believe what you want to believe friend
  7. Kahna Augur

Doesn’t really matter if it is or isn’t against the rules, because DBG can’t tell the difference. From playstyle, you can’t tell the difference between someone with two computers and a number pad, or two computers and synergy. If it desn’t impact their effectiveness in a measurable manner, and still limits them based on the number of computers they own, then only the knitpicky will even care. They aren’t ever going to ban anyone based on them using Synergy, because they can’t tell you are using it, either electronically, or through observed gameplay. They are unlikely to ever say it is a bannable offense, because only idiots make rules they can’t enforce, because they can’t detect a violation.

Synergy is within the rules because DBG’s is not capable of enforcing a rule that would ban it.

As I am sure there will be someone who says I am a cheater who cheats let me be clear, I don’t use synergy. I prefer to be able to access both my computers simultaneously, and number pads allow me to do that. That and sometimes it makes your Discord mic stick open, or so my friends say, and someone hot miccing is the worst.
  8. Machentoo Augur

Actually if anything synergy is a disadvantage compared to two number pads. I can hit hotkeys and run two toons around independently with two hands, can't do that with synergy.
  9. Iyvy Augur

If true boxing is better than synergy, then tehres no point to trueboxing, the only limitation is money to buy extra computers.

Why not let everyone just box on their own computer that way, more money for daybreak.
  10. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

They tried that and subscribers fled ragefire and LJ due to the 20+ boxers being controlled by scripted 3rd party software with zero way to enforce.

Truebox is like enforcement without trying or putting resources exactly what DBG can afford to do.
  11. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

We can argue about TrueBox all day long, but the truth is that DBG just wants subscribers. They know that a significant part of their player base boxes. We all know that the real solution to "box armies" isn't to kick all of their paying accounts out of the game.

The solution is easy: Private /picks. Let each customer play how they want to without griefing others (intentionally or otherwise).

The TrueBox/TLP squeaky wheels have had their way most of the time. Why not just think of it like kindergartners and share. It's the non-TrueBoxers turn.

This time around, the seasonal server should not be TrueBox.
    Barton likes this.
  12. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

It's a pretty clear violation of the first rule of truebox. Problem is to quote Kahna "Doesn’t really matter if it is or isn’t against the rules, because DBG can’t tell the difference."

Which is why you just need to limit boxing to 2 toons. Boxing a ton could very easily be spotted and fraps/reported.

Q: What Things Are Not Allowed on This Server?
    A True Box Progression Server is a place where players are only allowed to play one EverQuest account at a time on their computer.
    Doing any of the following on Phinigel may result in action being taken against your Daybreak Account:
    • Playing multiple characters at the same time from a single computer.
    • Using 3rd party software.
    • Any method to send one key press to multiple characters.
  13. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

How is having 1 server for not 6 boxers kicking them out of the game?
  14. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

If it was only 1 server, it might be fine (for those who enjoy it). But it's not, is it? In fact, it's been the last 4 servers. It has been almost 4 years since we've seen a non-TrueBox server.

It's time to let TrueBox go, at least for one seasonal server release.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Not from where I sit. It's convenience, nothing more. No advantage is gained. The only time I mouse over to one of the other computers is to click a spell set button or something like that. Otherwise I use each computer's keyboard individually.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

Totally not true. Using a software KVM is not running multiple accounts "off of one machine". Think about it. I can hit 3-4 keys per fight on each of my 5 computers' keyboards or I can mouse over to each computer using a software KVM and hit that key on my primary PC's keyboard. You'd have to be A) and idiot, and B) a masochist to to that. Not only does it not make sense, it's downright stupid.
  17. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

>No advantage gained
    Next post
    >Explains how doing so is an advantage

LUL

A mouse and Keyboard are most certainly part of "a computer," clearly it's against the rules "Playing multiple characters at the same time from a single computer."
  18. Kahna Augur

No, he was explaining how mousing over there then using your main keyboard is slow and stupid and it’s much faster to just use multiple keyboards to input key presses. Anyone using KVM software is going to have a much slower reaction time than anyone using multiple keyboards, or just number pads. The tiny convenience of being able to drag one mouse over there to switch out a spell set, instead of just moving your hand to a second mouse, is so minor as to make it just plain petty bitterness to argue against it.

And again, the rules lawyering makes zero difference when DBG can’t tell the difference between the two types of players.
  19. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I also think the "rules lawyering" (good term, btw :) ) makes zero difference, but not because DBG can't tell. I think they don't care. They want to pander to both crowds (the boxers and the anti-boxers), and the more that players argue about it, the better. As long as the players are paying, any discussion about the game is good discussion.

As for the speed of using one mouse for multiple computers, from my experience, the most efficient was using multiple keyboards, but only one mouse. For me, there was absolutely no comparison: a single mouse is far superior. Multiple keyboards, on the other hand, is actually something I miss when I go back to regular "single computer" boxing.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Apparently you completely misunderstood what I said. So let me give you an example.

I'm group grinding. I pull and attack with the SK on my main PC. I physically reach over to the bard laptop's keyboard and attack/bellow. I go to the shaman's keyboard and start a heal. I attack with the monk and wizard, both on their individual keyboards. I do this for an hour, never mousing over to any of the other four PCs. Now it's time to rebuff so I mouse over to the shaman's PC and click my "Buffs" hotkey. I then mouse back. I proceed to hit 3 6 9 0 G on the shaman laptop's keyboard. Once done, I mouse over again and hit my "Now" spellset hotkey. I resume pulling. My desktop is crowded and I don't have room for a mouse on the shaman laptop (which is closed BTW).

So how is that gaining an advantage? Because I saved 6 seconds of not fumbling with the mouse on the shaman laptop?