Next TLP should be a two box server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Iyvy, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Iyvy Augur

True boxing is tedious and frustrating yet a huge number of people still do it.

The majority of people seem to not mind dual boxers, they just really hate box armies.

I've been playing a bit on the legacy of norrath server and while it's too low pop, I think a lot of the rules there are worth considering, especially two boxing.

Allow players to dual box on the same computer but a maximum of two toons from the same IP.

This would increase subs (since anyone can dual box) but reduce the amount of "box armies" which are the real problem.

At the same time you should also drastically reduce the exp for groups of 2, and increase the exp for solo players and groups of 4 or more.

This way dual boxers are heavily incentivized to group up, solo players like druids and necros can actually solo (players soloing was never the problem, not sure why they nerfed solo exp), and players who want to be independent can be independant since a dual box is enough to solo any non raid content.

This is also the only server that a FV ruleset would actually be good on.

As much as I like the thought of FV ruleset, we all know the RMTers would be out in droves with box swarms locking down rare no drop items so they can sell them. If you have a FV ruleset the mask in guk will be 100% locked down for all of classic and sold for 1 krono each and literally every quest item thats important will be heavily locked down by box armies. A two box server (and a 2 maximum per IP) would prevent these armies entirely.

In before the RMTers come to complain
  2. Iyvy Augur

Almost forgot, straight up ban "box armies" no one can box anything more than 2 players. That way people who get around the restriction can just be eyeball banned. *cough* Chinese RMTs at King *cough*
  3. versair Journeyman

You do realize you cant stop the armies right?

Let's do the math. Make it so everyone can have 2 boxes per computer.

Chinese box army has 20 computers. now he can have 40 toons. How does that fix the issue?
  4. Kahna Augur

Meh, true boxing is not that bad. I actually prefer it to alt-tabbing, with the right set up.
  5. RandomStrategy Augur

Sure. Make two boxed per pc, then I can do a full group on my trio.

Bad idea is bad.
    Barton likes this.
  6. snailish Augur

Why box army?

If your reason is level fast and steamroll stuff for yourself then not much will deter you. There are legal ways to box army if you are willing to roll the subs after all. Most of the time you won't notice someone boxing for this reason.

If your reason is to farm loots to sell and monopolize content... well just flag a bunch of the problem camps nodrop. It is way harder for a box army to sell loot rights, especially across multiple picks in a "DPS race" climate.

In other words deal with the core issues that make boxing seem problematic.
  7. Iyvy Augur

Make boxing more explicitly against the rules. Catch a box army, ban them all. Simple.

They wouldn't even have to actively police it very hard.
  8. Aziuno Augur

You have your 2 box per IP server.

You've ruined you own lands! You'll not ruin mine!
    Machentoo likes this.
  9. Msfit New Member

I said it before and I'll say it again, Truebox on Phinigel really needs to end.
    I'm limited to playing on 1 computer (laptop laying on a couch) due to my disability and can't get a group for nothing even with the latest xpac unlock because everyone is 3-6 boxing even within my guild and no one lets anyone in. That's fine and dandy, play how you want, but I could at least 2-3 box on my laptop if truebox code was lifted. It's outlived it's purpose, the sense of frustration from the solo players that are left is palpable.
  10. snailish Augur

But if this is the make-or-break piece of the ruleset, Lockjaw and Ragefire exist.

I get it, Phinny has other advantages --but of what is currently offered a player has to decide what matters most to them rather than wait for them to make changes they may never make.
  11. RandomStrategy Augur

Have you ever heard of this thing they call "VPN"?
  12. FIsh Lips Augur

Nothing at all stops you from 6 boxing, and you don't need to cheat. True boxing is inconvenient but it placates the mentally challenged, so we have to live with it.

If you want to break the rules, then true boxing is stopping absolutely no one. It's been broken now in so many ways even the TSA laughs about its security. The only thing keeping it to a dull roar is very few people have the technical skill to do it themselves, and the people who have done it want a lot of money for it. So you pretty much have to want to farm krono to justify the costs.

The way Kronav is structured, people are boxing more if for no other reason than to avoid having to level alts serially. They invest their time in hell up front.
  13. Iyvy Augur

Exactly... Which is why having the rule be two boxes per person max is better.

True box ruleset you get people with "30 laptops" and they're totally true boxing, when really they're running splitter programs, or screensharing with their work server, or any number of ways to get all their boxes on a single screen.

By making the limit 2 per person regardless of number of screens you can simply ban mass boxers (and remove their krono from the pool of krono) on site, without having to verify that they're actually cheating or not.

2 per person, no exceptions. It's not that hard to tell when an entire group of gnomes is one person or not.
    So Happy likes this.
  14. xxGriff Augur

if you cannot get a group in your guild... it maybe time for a new/different guild. js
  15. FIsh Lips Augur

There is no way this thread can work. Boxing thread in disguise is boxing thread.
    Barton likes this.
  16. Machentoo Augur

You can boht decide what matters most to you currently, and advocate for change at the same time.

Whether they will make some changes or not remains to be seen. Never say never--they have surprised everyone more than once.
    snailish likes this.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

Same here.
  18. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

It's hard for DBG to ban players for boxing on a truebox server because it's hard to prove someone isn't "truebox" when running around with 6 toons. It would be very easy to ban someone on a 2 box server when they're running around with 6 toons.

Your refusal to accept basic facts or read what the OP wrote isn't gonna change the fact that any future TLP that DBG wants to be successful will need to limit boxing more the "true box servers" do.

TLPs need instances to prevent raid content from being locked down, TLPs need box limitations to prevent group content from being locked down. TLPs need reasonable XP rates. Any TLP that doesn't have these things will be a failure like Coirnav.
  19. Barton The Mischievous

How do you prove they are box armies? Hmm so DBG just bans everyone who has more than 2 people in a group? Basic Facts lol
  20. Barton The Mischievous

Yes Yes it really is you can't just go by tell as a business you need proof