Next TLP -> PvP Teams!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dagenfehl, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Machentoo Augur

Not gonna defend it of course, but maps give a bit bigger advantage in pvp than pve.
  2. Mel The Evil one Journeyman

There is no need to defend. I've played vallon zek-zek, p99 red, vztz. I know EQ pvp and hackers are nothing. They warp? I kill them anyway. They track me, saves me finding them. The reality is Path uses hacks on blue servers already so needing to download on pvp wouldn't be necessary since they are already loaded.

Given the fact that its blatantly obvious being able to find players using third party is an extreme advantage, so much so that it doesn't even need to be pointed out because everyone already knows that fact?

I don't care if you rush to defend your friend, he cheats we all know it.
  3. Machentoo Augur

Uh, he's not a friend, I don't even know him outside of these forums. And what I posted had nothing to do with him, and everything to do with my experiences playing on Tallon Zek exclusively from 1999-2004.

But feel free to carry on with your crusade.
  4. Quill Augur

They already have code with Arenas to provide areas of PVP in a PVE zone.

Why not just create the ability to spawn PVP Picks where the entire area of the zone is flagged PVP? Or make all the picks on the server PVP. You want to PVE? Base zone. You want to PVP? Picks. You zone in and you get the Arena style PVP notification message.

Would be fairly easy to implement and... interesting.
  5. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

[IMG]

But seriously the best part of your post is how you act like you know who I am, whereas literally zero people who know me call me "Path."
  6. Tandwan New Member

I quite literally remade my account to post in this thread as it's something very important to me. I played Vallon Zek from like, week 1 or somewhere in there. I was brand new to EQ and my experiences grew off what I learned on this server. Vallon Zek was one of the most heart pounding, adrenaline fueled times i've ever had in a video game. Nothing could compare to it, and honestly no game ever will. It encouraged player community, teamwork, and unbelievably, roleplay.

I played on Sullon Zek and even took a brief jump into Rallos Zek to see what was going on there but nothing could give me the feel of Vallon Zek or the fun I had there. I personally would resub if a Teams PvP server dropped with pure classic features. No voting to speed up the timeline, just use the old times when things dropped and go from there. I think a teams pvp server can't be rushed, it just can't be because gear is a huge thing for PvP, especially resist gear. If DBG decided they were going to do something evenly remotely close to this, they would have to go pure on it. Pure, meaning: No pay to win, no unlock votes, no cross teaming (this was a huge problem and ruined the game in so many ways) > Cross teaming was the act of two players grouping together that were not on the same team. This lead to other situations such as (immortal healing) which was where if one of those members was a dark elf cleric, and the other a wood elf warrior, and other dark elves attacked the warrior and the cleric healed him while he killed the dark elves 'allies'.

I know myself and many other players would jump at the chance to play in an atmosphere such as this once again and try to bring back the days when this game was much more then a loot grind.
  7. Machentoo Augur

First, if by pay to win you are referring to kronos and xp pots, that's not gonna happen.

Also, everyone hated crossteaming but the original pvp teams servers would not have lasted very long without it. The Tallon and Vallon Zek team setup was not well balanced. Elves and Shorts were both pretty much gimped and missing key classes, especially once you moved past classic. The "light alliance" was inevitable due to the way the servers were set up, and if it had not been possible, the darks would have completely crushed everything (which they basically did anyway until 4xteaming came to be a thing.) If you are talking about sullon zek hardcoded teams, then sure, I am all for it, but bringing back tallon/vallon teams and hardcoding them would be a disaster.
  8. Mephits New Member

+1 TLP PvP server.. So keen for this!
  9. Reval Augur

I didn't read this thread, so don't be offended if this is redundant. If you make a tlp pvp server, you have to get rid of hacks first. Period. There's no argument before me or after me that will negate that fact. They ruin the game when it comes to pvp.
  10. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

No. Ogre not want pee vee pee. Ogre pee alone behind tree. Not want pee in groups. Not want pee on other ogres or food. Tried once, did not like. If ogre want pee on someone, ogre go eff pee ess.
  11. Aziuno Augur

Tandwan must be a Necro.
  12. RandomStrategy Augur

I have a fun story for you that is completely unrelated to this topic, but related to WoW PvP.

I played a bit on WoW PvP (I forget which server) and made an orc warrior along with a friend of mine at work to kill our boss who was making an Alliance Paladin (because that's what you do).

I was level 11 and was chilling out in the Dreadlands if I remember right, not the newbie area, just outside it at the town you can use as a base, well, more of an outpost. Anyway, it was still full of dozens of people starting out, and while I was there, two Alliance characters were killing guards (which flagged them for PvP) and I said "not in my Horde Town". I know one of them was max level, but I can't remember the other (I think it was somewhere around the low 40s).

Of course, I got whacked quickly, and I respawned. I immediately started shouting to all players nearby that we had Alliance in town and to get their to the camp and mob 'em. About 50 players showed up, and I think the highest level from what I remember was a 34 rogue. We spent a good ten minutes dying and respawning while we raid-mobbed them to death. I got the final hit on one of them, and that was my first and only Honor Kill the entirety of my WoW experience (I quit around level 39 because I kinda lost interest).

I really wish I had a video of it, but I don't.
  13. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

I kind of want to see a PvP TLP just to see how it goes. I have zero interest in playing on it but I'm not against the people that want one. If it fails horribly just merge it Into Zek eventually.
  14. Darchias Augur

Everquest just isn't built to support race-based lines for teams. Racial class restrictions are hard-coded asymmetric gameplay, and while some forms of asymmetry can be beneficial in PvP games (see Overwatch), that's not really the same here. Take the teams you proposed (which may or may not be the same things the old servers had, I'm not sure).

Dark Elf/Troll/Ogre/Iksar lacks Bard, Ranger, Paladin, and Druid.
    Halfling/Dwarf/Gnome lacks Bard, Monk, Shaman, Beastlord, Ranger, Shadowknight (until Luclin)
    Wood Elf/High Elf/Half Elf lacks Shadowknight, Monk, Necromancer, Shaman, Beastlord (until... whenever), and Berzerker.
    Human/Barbarian/Vah Shir doesn't lack anything at all, which is a bit unfair.
    Also, what's left for Erudites? Guktans? Half-Elves that want to start anywhere but Kelethin? Drakkin? Does this mean Paineel Erudites and Erduin Erudites are on the same team?

Lets say we resolve these issues and throw Erudites and Drakkin (probably irrelevant, since we're talking TLP) in with the humans and throw Guktans in with the other short people. Half-elves are forced into Kelethin/Tunare.

What about the geographical problems? Freeport Humans would probably be okay, if only because they're humans and have huge class options, but because Qeynos/Halas/Erudin is a huge wall against their back in classic, most are gonna go to Qeynos. So Freeport Humans are trapped between Dwarves and Dark Elves, with an admittedly impressive fortress city.

The shorties are probably the worst off. Dwarves and Gnomes are separated by a huge run through Elf territory, which is impressively condensed into a single zone. Halflings are so far away from them it's funny, with Guktans being similarly isolated from backup. Halflings have the advantage of a safe newbie area in Misty Thicket and highly mobile Druids to help them escape sieges on Rivervale, but when it comes to projected force, the shorties are barely a team. They're three or four races who are so isolated from one another that they can't help each other without port backup. Furthermore, they lack the largest array of classes until Luclin gives them Halfling Rangers and Gnome Shadowknights and never gain Beastlord.

The elves, as mentioned previously, have a hugely concentrated powerbase as long as no Half Elves are dumb enough to go to Freeport, Qeynos, or Surefall Glade. They also lack the second largest array of classes behind the stunties, which as I mentioned before, are the worst team. They do lack space and good hunting grounds, but since Dwarves and Gnomes are fairly screwed they get access to Unrest and Mistmoore easily.

The Dark races are a little far apart, true, but not to nearly the same degree that the stunties are. Furthermore, they have good class coverage, with the only weakness being they lack all three classes with access to Track, which is a fairly large disadvantage (as long as nobody's using cheating programs such as ShowEQ, anyway...) Iksar have a lot of advantages that balance out the distance that they are from their allies, such as the fact that their city has much stronger guards than any of the classic races.

The teams would be inherently unequal, and not really in what I would call an engaging way. Some people might have fun in such an environment, but I've heard horror stories from the old Team servers. It'd only appeal to a very small player base long-term.