next march tlp please a boxingserver and a true box server.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by nostalgia, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Korea numbah3 Elder

I almost forgot.. Kunark or Velious start with beasts + zerkers enabled! And sleeper locked with AoC option (1 choice per lockout time)
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I expect to see a Mangler 2 announcement mid February with little to no changes, which will be just in time for people to have done a month-ish of PoP and be ready to start all over again. For good measure they might release a Truebox and Nontruebox version and split the population, as is tradition.
  3. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

People wanting to play Classic-PoP over and over again ad nauseam I will never understand. After having played from Classic-Kunark on Ragefire and then Classic-current on Phinny, that has got to be the most boring era of EQ hands down (Toss up between that and DoN-PoR). Are people just bad at this game and not able to handle the extra components of the game added later? They want it to be dumbed down enough that they can multi-task and play the game while doing other things? What is it? Please, I want to understand! The gear before heroics and mod2 and focus effects just sucks, it doesnt matter what you wear. The choices of spells and abilities before AAs suck. I just do not understand why people are so willing to play what I consider to be the extended beta version of this game over and over again.
    Genoane likes this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Some just happen to prefer what others would think of as simple content i.e. tank & spank groups & raids, killing masses of dumb mobs rather than doing quest progression or dealing with complex scripted events, simpler, arguably dumber is simply more nostalgic to some, I don't get it either but I guess that while the game was evolving growing & maturing in its complexity some players didn't evolve with it & are perfectly happy with that old style game play.

I think that some people "get old mentally" as in more rigid in their thinking, less capable of adapting & learning or coping with change much sooner than their age would otherwise indicate, while others "stay young mentally" even into their senior years. I've seen it in life, work & gaming same kind of thing happens.
  5. Dmitry Elder

The later game is super fun and in many ways better but no one groups up like they do in the early EQ. The later game is all solos and boxes with mercs. That is not fun for a lot of people.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

They quit when WoW/EQ2 came out so don't have nostalgia for things past PoP is my best guess.
  7. Jontrann Augur

The "give it to me now" mentality of eq players is what has ruined eq. They want fast exp and even faster unlocks (AKA Selos and Mangler), they don't want a "home" server were they can play for years and years because those players are on p99. Daybreak also doesn't help the situation when they release 2 to 3 new TLPs every year. People know they can quit any time because in 3-6 months there will be a new TLP to jump on hence no reason to do any meaningful progression.

I once asked for a p99 style tlp with corpse runs and slow exp with 6 month unlocks so we can have a "home" server to enjoy and i got laughed at by the eq community cause it wasn't LUL fast exp with 1 month unlocks. If i had my way pickzones would be removed as that enforces people to go exp in other zones that don't follow the normal leveling path and reduces the amount of gear that's injected into the game aka making gear progression feel better (AOCs would stay tho, as that lets more then 1 guild access raid content). I honestly truly do miss the days of when people actually exp'd in places other then unrest and guk. Remember when Highkeep had 4 groups in the basement, 1 group to each room, people killing the guards and then more people killing the nobles upstairs? i do and while it sucked it was fun times just chatting for hours and shooting the sh$t.

TLDR: I don't play on p99 because i do enjoy some QoL changes like maps, no exp penalties and AoC's but i really do wish we could slow down and go back a bit, enjoy the content a little more and actually have a "home" server we could play on for years to come.
  8. markkk Lorekeeper

i love tlp because of the rush to lvl 50 , new guild new friends and old friends,the buying and selling in the tunnel,currently playing classic wow new guild new friends next tlp in march il be back to eq.
  9. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I have a home server that I have been playing on now for over 4 years, Its called Phinigel and I am having more fun today than I had 20 years ago slumming it in LGuk or Sebilis. Once you play through the entire game, you realize that a large majority of the content is after level 75. And the content is more rich and in depth than anything you can find prior to PoP. Leveling doesn't involve simply killng hundreds or thousands of the same mob over and over again. There are quests that actually give good experience and tell a story. After playing the post-level 75 game I will never again be able to play this game from Classic again, because having the experience of TSS and beyond under my belt exposes just how bad the game is prior to this.

The perpetual Classic-PoP experience is already available to you on either Agnarr or by re-rolling on each new TLP that comes out. The experience of 4 groups in the basement of HHK and being able to kill one or two mobs every 10 minutes sounds miserable, and it was in 1999 as well, we just didn't care as much because the game was so different than anything before it and no one knew there were better ways. No one is willing to tolerate that kind of thing anymore and they should not tolerate it by any means. If there are people that want to just sit and chat with people for hours, maybe playing what is supposed to be an interactive MMO is not for them. Snapchat sounds like a better bet for those people.

The issue is that the percentage of the population that wants slow XP and even slower unlocks is very VERY small. Most of those people are stuck playing on p99 and they will never see anything past Velious or Luclin. Not sure which one they are stuck on over there.

6 month unlocks were attempted with Ragefire and Lockjaw and within 3 months both servers were BEGGING for Kunark. This is because Classic EQ is a poorly itemized beta with zero zone structure or forethought that some people have for some reason put on a pedestal because when it was NEW in 1999 it was the first thing like that any of us had ever seen. Kunark is not much better in this regard. Again you have poor itemization and little to no structure for progression. Velious was slightly better for itemization but again, not quite there.

It isn't until Luclin that you even have a clear path for raid progression (with some mechanics) and better itemization with the introduction of focus effects. It is also at this point that one of the key components of game play comes around: Alternate Advancement. Before AAs the differences between each class are murky and not well defined.

There is not nearly enough content in the early versions of the game to justify a 6 month unlock. In fact even on live after 6 months most people are just farming money and achievements and waiting on the next expansion launch. There is also no reason for slower experience gain. Killing 10,000 mobs as opposed to killing 5,000 mobs to make it to max level does not take more skill, it just takes more time, and more time does not equate to more fun. People have lives. We are no longer 16 years old like we were in 1999, we cannot invest that much time into a silly game.
  10. Ginix Augur

IMO its because EverQuest kept trying to get more and more "advance" instead of keeping it simple. Fighting a giant dragons that did one or two things with a huge raid was fun.

Being forced to read text emotes(or use audio triggers) for scripted raid fights about how some room or raid target is about to explode on the left side, and then having no in game way of actually seeing it visually is just the game trying to be like World of Warcraft and doing it badly imo. If people want complex scripted raid fights why not go play the superior game that does it way better?

I'm not surprised at all lots of people don't wanna play "developed" EverQuest & stick to the golden age era of EverQuest.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  11. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Being forced to read your large red text in a post is far worse than having to do some mechanics in a game. I'm sorry that you got stuck writing your post in crayon, and I am equally as sorry that game mechanics are beyond your scope of understanding. Please stick to the "golden age era" of EverQuest as I am sure it is better suited to your.....style. My guess is most of the people attracted to this era of EQ are searching for something long lost, never again to be found, but they are too stubborn to just give up. They keep looking for it every new TLP launch. I hope you, and they find it out there somewhere.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

It's actually not worse than playing don to por. No tlp will ever make it through the 70 slump when they're looking at the second tlp launching again to further divide the playerbase.

Dbg is watering down the proverbial soup and it's going to run dry.
    Skuz and Jontrann like this.
  13. Ginix Augur

Sorry you don't like my sexy red text.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings though bud was just trying to explain to you why I, and why I think, many people don't like the terrible version of "developed" EverQuest that you seem to think is "superior".

You'd prolly really like this game called World of Warcraft that has advanced raid scripts. They even have in game graphics/effects for when stuff happens so you aren't stuck just reading the text emote how the room is filling up with gas and you can actually see it in the game fill up with gas!

Who knows though maybe you just really enjoy your GINA robot telling you whats happening and you using your imagination. ;)
  14. HoodenShuklak Augur

Are you saying that figuring out how to use Gina is, in fact, harder than eq raiding past level 70?
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Doesn't bother me. I just skip right over it.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Generalisations like the ones you utter are really poorly informed.

EverQuest matured, evolved & became more complex, some players didn't, so they like that dumb old simple gameplay, tank & spank brainlessness, plenty wanted more than that & the game gave them it.

Please don't judge a game negatively based on your own personal failings, that's intellectually lazy.
  17. Ginix Augur

Phinigel tears are the best.

Yeah, takes lots of brains to set up GINA...

Sorry you guys are so upset people enjoy early EQ more then the "evolved" rubbish later content. :p
  18. That0neguy Augur

Why does it have to be an either or thing?

Some people like classic. Others like more modern. Stay with me.... some people can even like both. o_O
    Meridian likes this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Tears? you wish.
    Upset? hah, not even.

Perhaps that's what you would really like to be happening, by the tone of your posts you are setting out to try and hurt someone's feelings & then have a jolly old laugh at them for it & it isn't even disguised very well, there's a word for people like that, ends in holes.

Newsflash, you aren't some kind of special snowflake for enjoying early content, pretty much everyone who ever played EQ did that.
  20. Ginix Augur

Someone posted asking why people wanna play classic through PoP over and over and I tried to tell him why I think people wanna do that.

Definitely seems like your feelings were hurt in the process, so sorry to hurt your feelings their guy. If you enjoy the more recent expansions of EverQuest which happen to be less popular then that's great for you.