Newly minted heroic characters

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ArtleyHare, Jun 26, 2021.

1. ArtleyHare New Member

I have three new heroic characters, two completely new and one that I upgraded.
    The iksar necro and dark elf wizard have both just dinged 86, but the froggie cleric is still only at 46% of season 85. They have been grouped since becoming heroic, all have had a merc out and all used LoD at the same time.
    Is there a reason the froggie is levelling so slowly compared to the other two?
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I have heard there is a bug with fellowship XP sharing, where the last one added to the fellowship gets less XP.
  3. ArtleyHare New Member

They're not in a fellowship, just grouping and the cleric always invites the other two.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Maybe 2 of your accounts have that old "recruit a friend"-bonus? No clue if that is still in the game?
  5. Zanarnar Augur

do you pull with the other 2? pullers seem to get an xp bonus for.. whatever reason.
    Tucoh likes this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Does the "old expansion XP nerf" even happen in pre L100 content?

AFAIK the puller only gets extra XP in places where that is in effect, as being the 1st on aggro circumvents the xp nerf/cap for old expansion content, either intentionally or due to a bug.
    Bardy McFly and Tatanka like this.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This is from last year:

There is a mechanism since RoF expansion (level 100 cap) where once you level past the original level cap of the expansion (like being 112 in EoK for example, or 105 in CotF expansion), where the exp you gain per kill is penalized (basically, player power scales way faster than mob exp yields scale down, so people 10-15 levels higher than content could plow zones for much better exp than they could get in current content, they wanted to stop that). That was originally pretty severe (75% reduction once you got 5+ levels), but was reduced later (25% at 5+ levels). So this doesn't affect aa exp per kill for same level characters differing in group, but its another thing.

HOWEVER, due to a bug never fixed, the FIRST person to aggro a mob (the puller) bypasses this artificial reduction in SOME zones (like Frontier Mountains in EoK), so people have found the puller gets way more exp than the other players in the group.

3) Some classes supposedly still retain their exp bonus (warriors and halflings each get 5%, so halfling warrior gets 10%), but it is not supposed to affect AA, so its an exp thing though

4) If your levels differ, obviously that will change things (higher levels take more exp, ALSO, higher levels in group take a proportionally bigger chunk of exp, so if you're 105 grouped with a 105 and kill the same mob as when you're grouped with a 115, you don't get 50% of the exp like when grouped with the 105 when killing with the higher level. Also, another facet is the exp yield is dependent on the HIGHEST level pc in group. So not only does a higher level take a little bigger chunk, you get a smaller pool of gain overall from that mob if levels aren't the same. This is something that affects aa exp.

5) You can outpace exp by distance. So like, if you're puller runs off before a mob is dead to get the next mob, and runs way out there, when the mob dies that player won't get ANY experience.

While this mentions higher levels than you are I believe it would apply overall
    Stymie likes this.
  8. ArtleyHare New Member

None of the above applies to my group. Cleric does the pulling and no-one goes off to get another mob.
    The necro and wizzie are new characters, heroic'd after creation. The froggie was created in 2007 and sat at 70 for a long time until I recently upgraded her to a heroic. Could that make a difference?

They have been adventuring in old zones but the cleric pulls
  9. Metanis Bad Company

Everybody hates clerics.
    Deux, Vumad and Elyssanda like this.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

If you're pulling with the cleric, are you going to grab another mob while the other toons are still killing the current one? Maybe you're running out of range to get xp before it dies?
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is the most likely case.
  12. Randel Flag Elder

Just a thought, if you are pulling on the cleric, are you dieng a lot more on him then on the others?
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

He answered that question, he's not going off to pull more before the in-camp mobs die.

Could it be a problem with LotD? If you're not starting it at the same exact time on all three chars, maybe the lower char missed some ticks of it before some mobs died? It's a stretch, but just an idea.

To address said issue: You could pick a day and have the cleric use LotD, but not the other two. Or, my personal choice: don't worry about it. If you're fighting mobs within 5 levels of your character level (and, really, 3-boxing, you should be), then the near-my-level-xp-bonus should wind up evening it all out eventually. The lower level char will get a bigger bonus, which will make him catch up to the other two.
  14. ArtleyHare New Member

Thank you for all your responses.
    I'll try Tatanka's suggestion and see if it helps.
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Since the one gaining slower wasn't a newly made character, is it possible the AA exp slider isn't set to 0%?
  16. ArtleyHare New Member

Reading the above, I thought oh I hadn't checked that. Have now checked that and no, aa xp is set at 0%
  17. ArtleyHare New Member

I am going to group the cleric and either the necro or wiz with one of my max level characters, do some HA's (with the bonus xp) and see what the difference in xp for both is in that scenario.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

No, you're not. HA groups have to be within 15 levels of each other :(
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

Since when? That's how I level up new heroic characters...use one of my 115 toons to drag them through CoTF HA's over and over.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Could've sworn I've seen it many places. Will have to investigate.