Newbie Wizard Questions on Agnarr

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Tenser, May 31, 2017.

1. Tenser New Member

As an EQ newbie, decided on a Wizard. I have a lot of questions s...

When do I want to begin nuking?

Seems like I have most success of not drawing aggro and earn less aggro once the mob is less than 75% health. I hit it with the smaller of two nukes, then the larger nuke. At that point I try to ensure the mob gets down to as close to zero without actually dying. Is there an nominal time?

Optimal Spell Sequence?

Given any regular mob, at level 50 on Agnarr, what is the optimal spell sequence for burning down a single mob? Obviously there is a big variation based on what MOB, but more or less what are the key spells I need to buy/obtain?

Research?

Some spells like I guess Ice Comet require research, is this something I should do, or should I try and buy this spell?

Items?

At 45 I'm still running around in my newbie robe and wear 90% cloth items, original dagger. Never seemed like particular good items dropped where I was hunting. If I plan on staying on this server, what are my must have items? Seems like part of this answer may involve the next question.

Raid Content?

When, how and with who?

Etc?

What I am not knowing about being a wizard?
  2. Tachyon Augur

It sounds like you have nuking down. Tanks will get better at holding aggro as the expansions go by and you'll be able to start at 90-95%, but right now 75-80% is a good call.

Also, be aware of the other dps in your group and how they cast so you don't over nuke. Dropping a big one when a mob is almost dead is just wasting mana. Even worse are two nukers in the same group each dropping a big one at 20%.

I find in many groups that mobs go down fast enough that I only have to throw one big nuke at 80% and then maybe a small one at 20%. And sometimes the second isn't even needed. That way you'll have the mana to pull faster and burn extra mobs down when needed in an emergency situation.

For some general tips, check this guide out:
    https://wiki.project1999.com/The_Intrepid_Wizard's_Guide
  3. Xerath New Member

You want to begin nuking when your tank can handle it. Not all tanks are created equal, so you have to start slow. If I don't have faith in a tanks aggro (for instance I've got a monk tanking) then I will wait until the mob is at 50% to drop a bomb. This is something you just have to get a feel for though...there is no hard fast rule because if you've got another class in your group that is tearing up the mob, then yea, the target will be at 70% health but very little of the aggro belongs to the tank. Just have to be smart about it and recognize whats happening around you.

So optimal to me is going to mean the most damage for as little mana as possible. By far our most mana efficient spells is level 41 frost storm. This spell will do over 1500 damage for 271 mana, which is over 5.5 damage per mana...really good ratio. Ice comet will be your second most relied upon spell and it is a little under 4 damage per mana...good but not as good. The problem with frost storm is that you can't cast it on a mob that might move because all 3 waves of damage will not hit the creature. So any mob that isn't aggro'd properly or if the mob is feared, or just getting kited you should not cast this spell on. Also, it has potential to break CC...so you've gotta be careful when using it. If you can figure out when and where to use this spell tho, you will do stupid damage and always have mana to spare. Your optimal spell rotation for a mob that is locked down will be frost storm, ice comet, ice comet (while frost storm is on CD), then another frost storm. If you are trying to be more efficient, just use one frost storm when the mob is at approx 60% health.

Research is great, but its fairly expensive to level...I would recommend just buying the spells you need. Not all researchable spells are necessary. So spend 200 plat and get ice comet and call it good if you want. I actually set up a deal with a guy who let me buy Ice comet and Paralyzing earth for 250 plat. So, it's up to you...but your going to spend a lot of time and plat on researching, and in my sight it isn't worth it.

You need to start getting quest items. The first thing i would do is buy a Stein of Moggok - 10 int for 200 plat is a great deal. Then you need to work on your staff of the wheel quest...another 10 int for doing a stupid gather the rods quest...super easy. If your smart you'll do staff of temperate flux questline...it gives you an instant cast clicky that reduces targets fire/ice resistance...pretty effin clutch. The reason you want to try to do them at the same time is because there is some overlap. If you do some research and figure out what you're doing and where you're going before you start, then you can knock both of these out in a few hours. You need to spend some plat on rings, thats another 8 intellect for a little over 200 plat, earrings, and your neck piece. There is a guy named Theking that sells a 7str/7int neck piece for 300 plat..buy one. Camp hole for loam encrusted stuff. Do mystic cloak quest...do Acumen Mask quest and you should be looking a lot better.

I wouldn't worry about raiding until 50...at that point people will actually want you in raid...you won't be trying to convince them that your worth taking. Gotta earn your stripes, and getting to 50 is the first step. When it's time, get your in fear...thats where all of our wizard loots drop.