Newbie area

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Lakeland, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Lakeland Lorekeeper

Are you stuck being in that cave area? That whole break out of jail, fight in the caves is just bad (IMO). I really can't get into it. I really just want to be outside like Everquest was, let me wander and kill a rat and a snake outside in the wide open area already. I have tried several times to get back into EQ but to be honest, its so far removed from what EQ was to start it's no fun. So cramped and closed in, it hardly seems "open world" like it use to be.

Can you play without doing this crappy area to start? I tried to change the starting place but it doesn't seem possible.
  2. Crystilla Augur

There are two ways out of the Tutorial.

1) Go to Arias and say "ready to leave". This will take you to Plane of Knowledge.
    2) In the main cave is the waterfall, go through that and that will take you to Crescent Reach.
    Lakeland likes this.
  3. Lakeland Lorekeeper

Sweet, thank you, I'd rather struggle in my home area then trudge along in them caves. Thanks again.
  4. frankie78227 Augur

Don't forget to bind.
  5. Lakeland Lorekeeper

I actually just created a new character and clicked off the tutorial. It still didn't put me in my home city like I hoped, but it put me outside of that cave. Thanks for all the help, been away from this game so long I feel like a complete noob.

6. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

You can also change your toon's starting city via the drop-down menu when you create it. Either Crescent Reach or original, not that it's difficult to talk to a soulbinder in another city.
  7. Lakeland Lorekeeper

I tried this, it wouldn't let me change it. Maybe it's only if you pay? I'm not sure, the drop down menu was there but it only had C.R. listed.
  8. Crystilla Augur

That is tied to the deity you select. So if you had multiple dieties for the class you chose, choosing a different diety might give you multiple starting cities.
  9. Lakeland Lorekeeper

I was a barbarian shaman, only one deity to pick from also.
  10. Crystilla Augur

Gotcha. Crescent reach is the general starting area for all new characters now (something SoE had done to help bring new characters together so they weren't all spread out around the world, now that only a small number of new characters are made at any given time on a specific server).
  11. Lakeland Lorekeeper

I guess I can understand that, it was kind of a pain to run for hours (literally) dodging death the whole way just to team up with a friend of a different player race. That said, the different starting areas were cool because as an alt-a-holic it gave me a bit of variety. Thanks again for the information.
  12. Crystilla Augur

Sure thing. Borek will know more than me about some of what you were asking.

Now, you can just run from Crescent Reach into Blightsmoor (book to PoK is right there), then in Plane of Knowledge, go to the portal for the starting city you want. So only a couple zones away.
    Lakeland likes this.
  13. Tronk Augur

Home city is limited if you are not All-Access. When you have All-Access you get a choice of home cities -- Crescent Reach or one racial based home (which one is determined by diety; good or evil). You can try it out on Test server, where everyone is flagged as All-Access.

But I would say give the tutorial a shot if you are still learning the system. That plus you get very good gear in there, the charm takes literally 2 minutes of time.

Another good option is to follow the heroic journey quests. They also give good quality gear as you progress.
    Lakeland likes this.
  14. Lakeland Lorekeeper

I messed around with the tutorial, got to level 6 or so and really didn't like it. That said, I did get better gear. I did it without the tutorial and started with the first quest you get going to CR (the level 1+ quest giver you log in by) and honestly that was more annoying. Run around CR city all day isn't my thing. Especially when they say "upstairs" but it's not actually on the second floor, nor up any stairs, but up a ramp that looked more like decoration then useful. So I just went out and killed stuff, made money bought my spells and I'll eventually get to a level they will give me a quest that isn't "get a book from someplace in the city".

My gear is non existent though given that animals don't drop gear (and they shouldn't of course). I need to find a bandit camp or some bad guy humanoid types that drop gear to kill for a while. lol

Don't take any of this wrong, I'm having fun, lots of fun.
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

If you are not a subscriber you cannot change from Crescent Reach; however if you do subscribe at a later point you can use a command like either /setstartcity or /startcity one time and choose a different one.

Also, you can always go to your racial homecity and do the quests there; You do not have to stay in CR. You just will go to CR when you use Origin still, unless you subscribe and change it like outlined above.
  16. Lakeland Lorekeeper

Yeah, it seems like I'm not to far from PoK, I'll pick an area from there tomorrow when I log on that I (at least use to) like and run from there. Having a blast so far, might break out the big bucks and get a pass if I keep playing.
  17. Maurasi Journeyman

Minor correction. Half Elves (for ranger/druid) get two options for racial home city, Qeynos/Surefall or Kelethin.
  18. nebulousram2 New Member

So I created my first character as a magician in the gloomingdeep cave. I hailed Arias. Then joined my quest, and then I said 'Escape?' (nothing happened) I clicked all over the place. I read the crap in the quest menu. Nothing! What am I missing!
  19. Phrodeau New Member

There is a waterfall in the starting area before you go to any tunnels . Click on the waterfall when you are close and facing it .
  20. Geroblue Augur

Or you can say 'I am ready to leave' after hailing Arias. That sends you to Plane of Knowldge.