Newb Merc help

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by LexxRose, Sep 20, 2017.

1. LexxRose New Member

So I have a lvl 13 enchanter and cant figure out which merc would be best for me. My tank always dies, and melee doesnt do a whole lot of damage so I almost die half the time. Would it be better to just hire a healer and work on melee myself? I dont pay so I feel like I'm SOL on mercs lol any suggestions? Or tips on what spells that would be most useful for me right now? Thanks!
  2. Treiln Augur

Highest Tier Apprentice Tank merc is your go to. Only issue is...they are very lackluster as Apprentices :(

And at level 13, I'd look into highest level of:

1) Tash (Tashina)
    2) Slow (Languid Pace)
    3) Charm (Charm)
    4) Spin Stun (Whirl till you Hurl i believe it is)
    5) DD (Chaotic Feedback)
    6) DoT (Choke)
    7) Mez (Enthrall)
    8) Lull/Paci (Soothe)

Depending on how things are, you can replace the slow for Rune/AE Stun/Root to help out.
    LexxRose and Rhaage like this.
  3. LexxRose New Member

Thank you! Yeah the tanks are pretty lame, dont hold attention and die quickly lol and I do have some of those but the others I'll go get! Thanks so much:D
  4. Treiln Augur

One thing about Rooted mobs...if the person (or merc/pet) with aggro isn't close enough, the mobs will attack whoever is closest/in range. It's a trick I did with my Enchanter when she was just a wee character and Charm wasn't as "reliable" as it is at higher levels.

Rune your merc. Root a mob. Merc runs to mob and has a little cushion before he starts losing HP. Use your DoT first to get the most out of it (and also DoT's don't break root, but mercs Melee will). Merc starts getting low on health, root it again and make sure you've got some distance between you and mob so you have reaction time, just in case.

Or practice charming/reverse charming ;)
    LexxRose likes this.
  5. asfasfasfasf Augur

I would get a healer until you can charm stuff and then switch to a melee dps.

The way you solo with an enchanter is by charming mobs, I don't think there is any other way of doing it. In the low levels you can tank the mobs while you spam damage spells and the pet will help do some damage. At some point (like 15 or so) the mobs become too hard to tank, so you start with your pet tanking, let it get down to about 40% or something, and then nuke and dot and aggro the mob onto yourself and you finish it off. So just have a healer merc help you at this point.

At some point (maybe 25 to 30 ish), neither you or your pet can survive fighting mobs. The only way to continue is to charm a mob and then have it (and you) gank another mob quickly before it breaks. Then when it breaks, you gank the one that was the pet. It works well but it is very dangerous and can go wrong. You need to be fast with your AOE stun which should give you some time to re-cast your charm when it breaks. You also need to root the mob you are attacking so if the charm breaks early, at least only one mob will come at you.

Chanter is a tough class to solo. If you could subscribe you could have a strong tank that would help, or a strong healer that would let your pet tank. Without that, it is doable but gonna have to really master the chanter.
  6. LexxRose New Member

I didnt even know I could get a pet:oops: where can I go to get one? I'm sure that would be a huge help to me lol thank you so much!! When I played years ago I had a shaman and I believe a shadowknight so I'm new to this class
  7. Treiln Augur

Charm spell = making a mob within the parameters of the spell become your pet for a given amount of time
    LexxRose likes this.
  8. LexxRose New Member

Ohhhh that makes sense, thank you!!
  9. asfasfasfasf Augur

Chanters get a real pet too, that's what I was referring to. You can buy spells in Plane of Knowledge library or in the starting cities. Pets also need a component so buy a stack of them in PoK too. It is a weird pet because you can't control it, unlike all the other pet classes, so you have to let the mob hit you first and then it will attack. It isn't great but it is so much better than not having it! It will get you through the first 20 something levels a lot easier.

After that you need to ditch the pet because he is weak, and start charming mobs instead.

If you are a semi-new to the game I highly recommend starting again as a Mage or Necromancer. They are so much easier to play! Especially as a soloer with no strong mercs. You could go all the way with an enchanter too but it will be hard work.
    LexxRose likes this.
  10. Scorrpio Augur

Enchanter pet spells are called animations, it is a floating sword+shield. And yes, it just attacks whatever hits you. At higher levels you get AA that give you full control of it. And if well buffed, it can be quite tanky. Slap Endless Terror on it and those 5khp procs really add up.
    Any case yeah, a healer merc plus your animation ought to be pretty decent combo.
    Do not forget your buffs: self shield on you. AC buff (haze line) on you and pet, Str buff on pet and probably you as well cause stepping in and meleeing is good for you. Mana regen buff when you get it on you and merc. Haste once you have it. Or see if you can get buffs in PoK before heading out.
    Fighting: tash, slow, enfeeble on each mob. Your DoT line (choke). Keep a mez handy to deal with a potential add. A nuke, and a color flux type spell. Whirl till you hurl stun spell also good but might get you too much aggro.
    You generally want to keep it where you can step in and tank/melee or step back and have mob switch to pet. This means you have both your HP bars to work with, and IIRC, group heals are more efficient for the merc.
    LexxRose likes this.
  11. High Voltage Augur

Solid.
    Tatanka likes this.
  12. High Voltage Augur

Check out some threads in the class section of the forums. There is some valuable information about how to start out as an enchanter.
    LexxRose likes this.
  13. Scorrpio Augur

I was making a general comment on usefulness of chanter animation pet at higher levels - more in response to the post above mine, which advises ditching the animation in favor of charming.

You may notice that I gave level-appropriate advice right after.
    LexxRose likes this.
  14. asfasfasfasf Augur

I only suggest ditching the pet for charm if you are solo or F2P. If you had a decent healer merc I would use the pet, but when I tried that on my f2p Necro the healer merc just kept going out of mana. That's when charming is better.
  15. Venea Journeyman

Hey, Volty, you missed this part
    He wasn't talking about buffing it with ET at level 13.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Quick point: Are you setting the merc's role to "Main tank"? If not, that's probably the issue. I always notice right away when I forget to do that, because I get agro so easy.

Tat
  17. Khesa New Member

i have just today returned from a long time away, i read about the enchanter pet not being controlable, there used to be a way around this and make it a fully working pet, not sure if its been fixed, if you use a targetable illusion, werewolf i used to use, then the sword and shield pet would become a full controllable pet, like i said was years ago, but i thought id say, just incase
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Never heard of what you're referring to, but enchanters DO get AAs in later levels which make the pet completely controllable.
  19. Treiln Augur

Enchanters summoned pets cannot be controlled at lower levels. They just attack whatever attacks you. I do not know of any work around to this aside from the AAs at later levels
  20. Thash Zoner

Petamorph wands used to make the pets controllable, but it was fixed in recent years. Definitely made things easier back when Fippy was new.