New Xp theme for HA's

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vdidar, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Are you kidding me? Xegony is currently the product of three server merges. Other servers have gone through similar. You don't count it as one merge when several servers merge at the same time. I was around when EQ had SERVER SPLITS. They don't split anymore they merge. EQ is shrinking you can argue the opposite all you want but you would be wrong. That is not an opinion that is a fact. :)

http://eqmagicians.com/story/server-merges and this was just one set of merges.
    http://tobolds.blogspot.ca/2006/08/is-everquest-dead.html

EQ isn't dead and hopefully wont die for a long time but to ignore that it is shrinking is just playing Chicken Little.
    Ishtass likes this.
  2. Battleaxe Augur

Some time ago I asked that very question. I was told that despite player opinions once EQ got well past the GoD/release of EQ2/release of Wow era its population became relatively stable.

(In fact I've been told that EQ2 didn't pass EQ in number of subscriptions until EQ was roughly 10 years old.)

Suggestions that unless SOE reverses its position on green pet pulling there will be massive subscription cancellations are incorrect. There might be fluctuations and even trends but there doesn't appear to be any "unless they do X EQ is dead" situation.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

No idea where this "green pulling" thing came unless its another one of your exagerations to prove a point. But I agree something like that would not cause massive subscription cancellations.

I don't think EQ currently has a stable population though. Who told you the EQ population stabilized? I would suspect that they did for a while though. Can't disagree with you on that but that hasnt continued forever. How the Devs handle things will help decide how fast or slow we lose players. Right now the best we do is sometimes get old players who come back but we aren't getting any great influx of new players and the fact is people will continue leaving EQ for a variety of reasons. I would love to see an increase in players but I think the best we can hope for is a very slow decline in the number of players.

And as for those returning players they need to feel they can catch up and become part of the general EQ population fairly quickly or they soon leave the game again.
  4. code-zero Augur

At one time there were actual software issues relating to how many simultaneous logins that a single server could handle. Improvements have been made, instances among other things, that allow a single server to handle a much higher player load than they did back in 1999. Maybe the population has dropped some since whatever was the high point but server merges are a sign of improvements in software more than indications of death
  5. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Is there some sort of "reward" for doing all four daily HAs or is it just the increased XP reward for each completion? I've done two so far and got roughly 10% regular XP per at 105. I hate Late Checkout with a passion :(
  6. Bigstomp Augur

Or thanksgiving time frame, which apparently is a big thing.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually it was made quite clear at the time the mergers were to improve player populations on the servers.
  8. Rhymez Thebard Elder

The reasons EQ sucks so much atm.

1. No dev's actively play the game for fun anymore. They just don't care or cannot care as much as they use to. Post whatever you want. It doesn't phase them, they are immune to all of your concern's.

2. 80% of the revenue generated by EQ and it's faithful playerbase goes to the rest of SOE's list of dumb games. If it wasen't for EQ I wouldn't have anything to do SOE. SOE is just a bad company with bad business practices.

3. The player base just sucks. I wish EQ was an offline solo game. Then I wouldn't have to play with people who cry about exp nerfs.
  9. SoroxDrinal Elder

Terrible idea to backend load the experience gains in HAs for a number of reasons:
    1. Power or Internet loss = wasting your time
    2. Bugs in HA scripts = wasting your time
    3. Any real life event that causes you to camp = waste your time

Why would you developers choose this path?
    Make it so you can do the final hail ANY time you want and get the currency, xp, and cash up to that point. So tired of spending an hour in a HA to get stuck on a script error or other lame issue knowing that it is ALL or NOTHING in HAs now.
    Ishtass likes this.
  10. Brogett Augur

Completely agree. It feels like the populations have stabilised, if server merging and general population in channels is anything to go by.

What has changed over the years is, IMO, boxing. I suspect that the number of *individuals* playing the game may have gone down a bit, but the number of *accounts* probably isn't as more and more people play multiple characters at once. Personally it's never been something I enjoyed, but I'm definitely in the minority now.
  11. Brogett Augur

1) Incorrect.
    2) No evidence either way on this one. It's pure rhetoric.
    3) You're welcome to your opinion, but I disagree. IMO EQ player base is lightyears ahead of most of the new MMOs which seem to be fully of whiny kids.
    SaderakhBertox likes this.
  12. noclue Elder

Sorry, somehow I missed the patch notes adding the "Daily Adventure" quest? could someone link or give me the info about this. Thanks
  13. Marbles Elder

Also, it inhibits TRYING, now people will only do the ones they know they can finish, which is contrary to what they say the intent is. I know i am not going to try the ones i haven't finished anymore until i think i can get it done.
    Ishtass likes this.
  14. Crystilla Augur

By Brell ... if multiple servers get merged into one at the same exact time, it's one set of merges not multiple.

I never said EQ's population isn't shrinking but you're making it sound as if we've started with 100's of servers and are down to 5 when that just is a plain lie and so far from the truth. Bringing up the very beginning when they split servers may sound like an intelligent move to make your case, but something that took place at the very start of EQ when the company had no idea how many would truly come to this company doesn't really compute to now. About all you can say is we haven't had any splits or merges in many years (1/3 of EQ's lifetime).
  15. roth Augur

Not bothering to read the whole entire seven pages of this thread, I just wanted to make one thing clear ...

Xev (which was originally a split off server) got merged into one other server (Druzzil Ro?) during the first server merger set. I do not know what other server pairs merged, but they all merged together by pairs.

Druzzil Ro then got merged into Xegony in a second merger set.

The two racing servers (the Progression servers that existed prior to the current Time Locked Progression servers) had gotten merged together at one point due to low population. Eventually, that server got merged into Xegony.

So, Xegony is currently the product of either three or four sets of server mergers. Three if you discount the racing servers' merging into one, four if you include it.

Of course, those were all years apart, and years ago.
  16. Nenton Augur

It might not have been the end of EQ but it was the end of EQ for some amount of people. EQ has been bleeding subs for a long time now and all the negative reinforcement changes over the last 2 years is doing nothing but expediting the departures.

I get that the devs are strapped for time because they don't have near enough resources for coding a proper amount of content for this game but that only reinforces the fact that they shouldn't be spending so much of their time nerfing things. What does that accomplish? Some people quit. Some people don't. Less content is created to keep people entertained. It's just a no-win situation and it makes no sense that they've been going so fast and hard down the 'nerf everything' path.

Making a fun game that encourages player subscriptions/retention should be SOE's goal. I'm not one of those people thinking they're trying to end the game but I also have no idea what their goal actually is here because all that we're seeing lately are negatives.
    Ishtass, beryon, Iila and 1 other person like this.
  17. Edrick Augur

To add to 1), the dev I know if that actively plays EQ consistently makes the best content, raids, and zones. They're innovative and don't follow the standard formula that other zones do.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

One set of merges not ONE merge. And no I am not making it sound like hundreds of servers merged. No idea where you are getting that from.

And I can see the drop in players from the number of casual guilds on my server that have disappeared and not been replaced by new guilds.

I am not saying EQ will die tomorrow but its silly not to think we aren't still losing numbers. I would love to believe otherwise.
  19. Kaliblessed New Member

I don't mind the fact they pushed people away from doing DH HAs all the time. THE problem i have with pushing people into TDS content, specifically TDS HAs is that the first two tiers have a GRAND TOTAL of 2 HA and they're both horrible, especially temple one which gives 19 tokens per run... If TDS had like 4-6 HA per tier, then i could see it being a good alternative to COTF HAs.
    beryon likes this.
  20. Bigstomp Augur

I've never seen a HA wipe and be unable to come in and recover.