New Window in Lobby?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evye, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Evye Augur

2. Verily Tjark Augur

I had something similar happening in Skyshrine the other night. When I got near a certain wall, the wall disappeared and I could see through to the next room.

And yes I'm well aware that if you face plant in a wall you can see through it. The link OP posted and what I'm describing are not that.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

/cue X-Files music

Are we being spied on? The truth is out there!
    minimind, Duder and Issk like this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

actually it is the same thing.

Models in EQ have 'one-sided faces'.

Whenever you can maneuver the camera inside a 3d model, player, mob, wall, (whatever it's all 3d models), you can see through that model because there are no textures on the inside faces.
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

After looking again at that, you're right, there is an additional thing going on.

The wall farther out is rendering transparent, making it look like a little window.

I would suspect it's related to what I mention. But included in the issue is the rendering order of walls and animated objects.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Otters have X-Ray vision, maybe they are Kryptonian.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I hadn't played in so long I had forgotten those 'murals' in the GL. Logged in yesterday and immediately realized what was causing the issue you posted.

There are semi-transparent murals of a woman's face with glowing eyes, on the walls behind the corpse summoners. Instead of being a painting laid on top, you can see the mortar lines on the wall behind it, through the 'translucency'.

This is a common issue (in EQ) with semi-transparent objects not rendering in the right order. If you have an Alaran merc you will see this near water, where the water renders on top of the merc even though they are standing in front of it.

The semi transparent image on top of the wall facing you, causes the farthest wall to render on top, but the farthest wall face is facing away from you and only one-sided, so you get 100% transparent there.

Tjark, if you're seeing this occur in an active zone, you may consider bugging or exploit reporting it, if this allows you to see into an area you shouldn't be able to see.

You'll find there aren't many 'semi-transparent' things you can partially see through in EQ. They got excited to do it, and discovered the render order issue later. None of those have been removed, but clearly I don't think they've ever fixed the issue, and have avoided translucency since.
    Verily Tjark and Evye like this.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

uggg, it's so complicated. Just to add one more thing.

There is something called 'backface culling', I don't know if they use, but probably do. It means basically "Don't even try to draw something I can't see anyway because it's on the back side (from my view point)."

So at the time of graphics calculations where it decides the back side of the wall is what you're looking at (from the wrong view point) it just stops drawing that entire wall object and moves on.
  9. Verily Tjark Augur

It was in the new skyshrine static zone. In the room where the shinies drop in the mission. I wouldn't say it is worth wasting any Dev resources on. Unless it's a sign of a larger problem, I am not worried about it. I wrote it off as just one of those things in EQ. We've all seen graphic glitches, or whatever they are called, that don't really affect gameplay.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000