New to tanking in EQ, how to choose?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by dwarfmonster, Jun 4, 2018.

1. dwarfmonster New Member

I am looking to two box and want to learn how to tank. Last year I got a heroic upgrade and got myself an 85 SK. With a higher leveled friend I leveled the SK to 93. Basically I don't have any knowledge of tanking despite having a 93 SK.

I have heard that Warriors are more fun to play now than they used to be. I don't have any opinions on Paladins currently. SK have always been fun looking, but are over represented (not a bad thing)
    My question, as someone who is completely knew to EQ tanking and agro control, what tank would you recommend?
  2. code-zero Augur

If you're doing group content stick with the SK. Not that there's anything wrong with Warriors or Paladins but you won't really be gaining a lot by switching
  3. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Sk has the most group utility and aggro tools, so it’s generally the best grouping tank for most situations (hence the over representation).

Worth noting though for boxing that a warrior is a little easier to do than both knights, so there’s that.

I frequently box sk + a dps of some sorts and it’s a nice duo. If you happen to be on Drinal shoot me a tell some evening and can help.
  4. dwarfmonster New Member

I will probably start using the SK that I already have, and might make a new warrior or paladin and just 2 box them from ground up to see if I like them. @Sheex I am on Emarr, but might take you up on the /tell offer for some help with SK.
  5. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Very safe to stick with SK. If you search this very sub-forum you should find all kinds of great advice on "how to SK" like a pro.

Quick tips:
    Any tank is very gear- and AA-dependent. If you aren't upgrading your gear every 5 levels, you will be frustrated.
    Use your defensive Combat Abilities (discs) regularly. Don't be too frugal with them, get used to using them all the time.
    Get you epic 2.0 if you don't already have it. Use it all the time.
  6. Belexes ForumQuester

Stick with the SK. Pair it up with a rogue and you can handle any zone. It is the ultimate dungeon crawling team.
  7. Flatchy Court Jester

Flatchy is my first and favorite character to play. If you wanna really learn how to SK read these forums. http://eqshadowknight.net/ These guys go in depth and know their stuff. Its about the 3rd or 4th recreation of the same group so lots of history there.
  8. Dreadmore Augur

Hi dwarfmonster. A little late to your thread here, but I'd like to offer another suggestion on your most basic question of how to choose which tank to play with my own question: Which class do you think is the coolest? It's very subjective, but why not--go to the character creation screen in-game and read the descriptions for each class, and just feel out which one appeals most to you.

They are all capable of the role of, simply, "tanking." But which one stands out as coolest to you? Maybe that is what will make it most fun to play for you. Do you like to see that DPS spam from a warrior, dual wielding all sorts of different weapons? Maybe you think the idea of a holy knight who can heal his allies is cool. Or maybe you feel more connection with one that empowers himself through weakening and leeching off of his enemies. I sort of like to think of them as "leader," "selfless," and "selfish," respectively.

It doesn't really matter whether you're new or not, because you'll learn how to tank and control agro as you play your character, and you'll learn how to make it work for your needs, as is the case with anything else in life. They all also handle agro differently, so what you'll learn for one won't completely carry over to the other two.