New to Ragefire TLP, some questions

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by broseidon, Aug 27, 2015.

1. broseidon New Member

A friend and I were recently wanting to play on ragefire TLP as we prefer 3 months over 6 months as far as xpac voting goes. We both used to play vanilla EQ and quit around PoP. With that said, I have some questions:

1) Are there still racial exp penalties like ogre and troll having xp penalties, and if so are they significant?

2) Are monks sole pullers of groups? If I play a monk will I be 100% responsible for pulling for groups? The inner melee dps in me wants to play a monk but I hate pulling. I also don't want to play a rogue because I don't like the whole mechanic of CR's and having to be in charge of all that mess

3) Do warriors pull for their group if there's no rng/mnk/brd? My backup after monk is tank but again, I really hate pulling and dragging food back.

4) Since mage and necro pets have been nerfed a bit, is there less of an issue with boxers? Or is it still boxers abound?

5) Are raid bosses such as naggy and vox still on like a once or twice a week timer?

Thanks guys, any other tips for newbies coming back to TLP would be very appreciated!
  2. AlmarsGuides Augur

1. only racial bonuses are in like halflings 5% xp bonus

2. They are not, monks, bards and tanks are all pullers. But monks are preferred because of FD you however will not always be required to pull end of discussion - it will at least half of the time be an option

3. Yes they do

4. Boxers are everywhere still but regardless of what you see on the forums most of them aren't terrible people. They are generally nice and friendly and may even help you out. The chance of running into a jerk boxer is the same chance of running into a jerk solo player

5. They spawn every couple of days

If you need any other questions answered or assistance in game feel free to message me on the forums. Also my website (in my signature) is a good source of information if you are just getting started. If you need any questions answered at all please feel free to contact me at any time I will do my best to answer any questions
  3. Gorian147 New Member

No penalties, only bonuses.... so halfling warrior = win.

All classes can pull.... hell I pull sometimes and I play a cleric. But yes if you are a monk.. you will be expected to pull. If at the very least to break up the spawns.

Yep, tank is next in line to pull if none of the classes you listed are there to pull.

No... even with the debuff mages will still continue to be boxed because it is super easy to just recast a pet if it dies.

As for boss timers... I dunno the exact repop window but I do know it was sped up.
  4. broseidon New Member

Since I can't edit my post for some reason...I had some additional questions as well as questions about monks.

• Are there maps now in an addon pack that you can download to help easily navigate zones and camps?
    • When you FD, is it easy to tell when you need to stand up again so that something won't re-aggro i.e. breaking camps?
    • Do you usually have to run far to pull?
    • Do you often chainpull, or dps until the mob dies and then go pull another?
    • I heard monk dps is good now because they can triple attack, but when other classes can double/triple, will monk dps still be great?
    • For tanks, what is the current state of wars vs sk? I know SK's have more snap aggro but aggro was never an issue when I used to play a war. Are wars better at mitigation?
    • How is enchanter dps? How is wizard dps? Do these scale well with each expansion? When I played in POP a wizard could chunk a mob by 20-30% health with one spell. I understand enc's are in charge of mezzing but also give sweet stuff like crack and haste. Is their dps respectable too?
  5. Tris Augur

The way dps scales, it seems hard as hell to keep agro on a warrior with current available weapons. Sks and paadins have a chance with their spell agro tools.

When you fd, mobs will path back to their camp at normal walking pace. When they walked out of your agro range you can stand up and pull if they are spread out. This can take alot of time. So easyer to use pacify or har ony, or to pull all and cc. An echanter can split all pulls in 20 seconds while split pulling is slow.

It is up to you how far you pull. You can move the group arround. With you

Monk dps will go down the toilet in later expansions. Rangers and rogues are siperior

Enchanter dps is soso, you have haste, clarity, stuns, mezz and pacify. Wizard dps is oki, esp with clarity
  6. Gorian147 New Member

On the issue of monks... best I can tell you man is to do some reading. Monks are a extremely hard class to play well with a pretty steep learning curve. There are so many tricks as well as issues with using FD to pull. Only way to learn is by reading up on it and get out there and try it. To be honest. Make one and level him to 20. Monks get FD at 17. It shouldn't take you very long and by the time you reach 20... you'll know if you want to continue or not.

Yes.. monk dps is very good right now because of a change in fist damage / delay, but it will even out very quickly as expansions are released and better weapons become available.

On the topic of wizards and chanters.... you played up to PoP, wizards are still the same. Wait til 50% and blow stuff away or 75% and slowly ramp up dps.

Chanters dps is so/so.... in a group you will almost always be CC / buff support. You may be charming for added dps as well. Solo.... I dont know many chanters to solo because it is so easy for them to get a group :)

Tank agro. Warrior agro is rough right now because of the lack of decent damage delay weapons. A group needs to slowly ramp up damage to allow the warrior to build up his hate or else the mob is gonna ping pong. As kunark and velious are released warrior agro starts to get alot better at holding the hate. SK and Paladins are kings of snap agro. SK using disease cloud and Paladins with thier stuns. For groups... any of the 3 will work just fine. SK and Paladins are probably better group tanks at this point for the ability of building hate so quickly. Warriors are more for raid roles as MT and off tank.

In the end man.... just pick a class and go til 20. If ya don't like it, start another. Leveling now is much easier than it was back then. Play what you like and don't worry about the rest. If you enjoy your class, you'll be a better player than someone who doesn't :)
  7. Gorian147 New Member

Sorry... would have made a detailed post about FD and its use and pitfalls, but I am using my phone to write and a 10 page essay about FD on my phone would take forever. :)
  8. Ghilran Lorekeeper

Considering the strong voices of those against boxing, it's only fair for you to continue your lobying effort in favor of boxers. However you are kind of missing the point : no one argues that boxers are a**holes. But you do end up hogging content while admitedly limiting player interraction. While I have yet to meet an offensive boxer, we all see 1 man armies monopolizing camps and zones that are intended for 6 players and more. That's something, I think, we should be honest about when answering the OP.
  9. Gorian147 New Member

Not necessary to post that crap here. The OP asked a simple question which got its answer x2. Leave that talk to the anti boxing posts.
  10. Hasty Blades Journeyman

If you dislike pulling, I would cross monk off your list of possible classes to play. A monk who doesn't like to utilize FD for pulling is like a bard who doesn't like singing songs, especially in later expansions.
  11. Steampunk Augur

There is no difference in the results of one player with 6 characters or 6 players with one character each. If one hogs content, so does the other. The fault does not lie is boxing, but in the boxer.
  12. Rhodz Augur

meh pulling for groups is a state of mind not class and no more complicated than understanding agro, almost anyone can do it almost any where... almost. Monks have better tools sure and attracts those who like to pull. Assume life will be hard on a non pulling monk as it would be for a cleric that wants to dps not heal.

Granted you can get damned tired of pulling in particular since it is more work and if you win the bad group lotto you will likely tank and MA as well and then listen to the "pull faster" slackers, yeah sometimes it just gets old.
  13. AlmarsGuides Augur

Then you answer him with that because that is your opinion. I'll stick with the facts. There's no room for opinions when giving someone advice - keep your bickering elsewhere please.