New to Everquest

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Kalibert, May 7, 2021.

1. Kalibert New Member

I have heard that ever quest is/was a good group leveling game. Is that still the case for some servers?

In mmorpgs I tend to enjoy grouping and exploring and having some utility to help folks out is nice as well (teleports, summons, lock picking, handy buffs, etc.).
    I have read a bit about the following classes.
    Bard - This sounds like a very active and fun class. Do I need a deep understanding of the game to be effective?
    Necro - Sound pretty cool, undead pets that can tank mobs for you, for real? Do they bring any buffs or utility to a group?
    Wizard - I understand they are good at damaging things, do they have utility? Buffs maybe?

In terms of grouping, exploring, and general tom foolery... how do those of you who have played these classes see them? If you can think of a class that seems to fit the things I like feel free to toss them out there, I'll read about them as well.

Thanks for any input and have a great day!

P.S. I have read that there is tutorial that is worth doing, hoping to do that this evening after work! :)
  2. Herf Augur

Bards are powerful, but I personally would not main one. They don't have all that much DPS. They work fantastic as a box alt, with a DPS class.

Necro's are generally considered to be good for soloing, although it probably depends on which era/expansion (they get nerfed on occasion.) Their pets are DPS, but can't really tank, so they're sort of like a mobile DoT.

Wizards do an amazing amount of dmg. They do get a few buffss, but mostly self, aside from levitation and invisiblity. However they also can port themselves, groups, or even full raids (TL to bind only, out of combat, 60's ish spell.) I was never really enthused about wizards as they seemed one dimensional, but now having a 65 Wiz, I like them a lot. They just can't tank much. But I believe they do get root.
    Kalibert likes this.
  3. RancidBane New Member

I love the enc very good call lots of fun and people love a good enc
  4. Grove Augur

For exploring, you cannot beat a rogue.
    For helping folk, I like my Druid with buffs and ports and I oversee young players with heals, snares.
    Tatanka likes this.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

Rogue can shroud of stealth so almost nothing can see them, so good for exploring, but only other utility is lock pick which isn't used much. Solo ability is very low, molo ability is somewhat low.

Bards are also good for exploring because they get dual invis (live and undead) and can fade (drop aggro) if needed. They are a good aDPS class, pull very well and CC well. They are a very versatile class and DPS well for a support class. They can also lock pick (not used much). Bards songs are seconds long so they have to stick around to share any benefit. Solo ability is low, molo ability if medium.

Necro's have the potential to be one of the most independent classes in EQ, especially in undead areas. The have a lot of tools to manipulate the undead (slow, CC, pacify, etc) but a lot less on live mobs. Very good DPS. Very little group utility. They can summon a corpse but we have corpse summoners in the guild hall now so it's not much a big deal. They can rez 93% but it requires a sacrifice and mercs can just do the rez, so from a helping others role they can't do a whole lot. Solo ability is high, molo ability is very high.

Mages in early EQ are helpful with their ability to summon items, but later this has less importance, although their pet armor and damage shields are the best of the best at all levels. Both will give you something to offer others. People like CoH too and mod rods for getting mana back to the group. Mages are medium on solo and high on molo, but lack a lot of tools for pulling singles, etc.

Enchanters are versatile like bards, but a bit different. They get both invis, but not at the same time, and can fade, but much less frequently. They have a lot of tools to pull, debuff, buff and slow. They are one of the top support classes. Solo ability is low-medium, molo ability is medium-high, but depend on the ability to charm something.

SHM are also a good class for helping. They are the only ones who can make potions which can be traded. They have good buffs and debuffs, and can heal. Solo ability is low-medium, molo ability is medium-high.

BST is a lot like SHM, but a lot less in every way, except for DPS and the ability to solo/molo, which is higher. If helping others is your thing, SHM might be better, but BST will be more independent, if you want to adventure alone, because SHM will lack DPS.

Rangers and druids are pretty similar for 2 classes that are so different. Rangers in the beginning are melee and later become more caster like using their bow. Druids are priest casters and DPS with spells, but also heal well. Both classes can forage, track, snare and invis. Druid can port. Both classes have desirable buffs. Both classes are a medium on solo and a medium-high on molo.

Zerkers have no support abilities at all really. Monks are the same but they can pull for a group. At least wizards can port. Both classes are mostly about damage. If helping others is your thing, zerker or monk probably isn't your best choice, and druid would be better than Wiz. Zerk, monk and wiz all have low to no ability to solo. Wiz still cant even molo, zerk and monk is in the medium range on molo.

The paladin can be of help, with some buffs, can rez, heal etc, so is the most helpful of the 3 plate tanks. SKs are the most powerful of the 3, but their abilities are very selfish, offering very little to any to anyone other than their ability to pull. Warriors have no abilities outside tanking. Of the 3, Warrior is best for raid tanking, SK is the best for group tanking, and Pal is the best tank for supporting the group as a whole with their heals, cures and buffs. War has a low ability to solo, the knights in the medium range. All 3 tanks have a high ability to molo.
  6. Kalibert New Member

Wow lots of great info, thanks everyone.
    I'm playing through the tutorial glooming deep rebellion on some of these classes. I saw some youtube videos of people talking about a new server called mischief. I understand it would be a membership/subscription type thing. Since it starts in the beginning and progresses from there would that make sense for a person to the everquest to jump into? Or are those servers geared more for veterens?
    Thanks for all the help so far.
  7. SunDrake Augur

New TLP launches are very fun. You get to experience the early content that's bustling with activity. I'd guess most are 'veterans' to some extent, but if you spend the next couple weeks playing around, you'd be in a good position to jump in with other players - there will be players of all skill levels represented.
  8. SunDrake Augur

another big plus is that you get the opportunity to experience the content in groups of other real players, something that is a bit lacking on live and more mature TLP servers [you'll spend some time playing solo to 'catch up' to a point where its easier to find folks looking to do the things you are.]
  9. Ultrazen Augur

Join the new TLP when it launches, and get a pretty close experience that will show you why EQ is so loved. Early days TLP servers, there is a lot of grouping, which is what really makes this game great. The interaction between classes, and people, is second to none. Nothing before or since has equaled EQ's group game, and the TLPs are the best way to experience that.

As far as classes go, anything that interest you is ok, as you will end up playing them all at some point if the game clicks with you.