New TLP true-box Thoughts / Discussion

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trakksem, Apr 14, 2020.

1. tylersbackalright Journeyman

2. Mink Journeyman

I think its impossible to them - AoC for every zone, need very good server for this.

Agree here, sadly but seems not on this coming TLPs, we will see about their new concept later, but probably:

3. Icetech Lorekeeper

If you think guys running 6 man groups are "Trueboxing" you are nuts.. they are using VM's or just eqwindows which makes it beyond easy to look like multiple computers.. how hard is that to understand? although it's said over and over...
  4. Adrazon New Member

It's not nuts, I've done it on Coirnav with a multi-monitor setup and KVM software. Note that KVM has nothing to do with Virtual Machines. KVM stands for Keyboard Video & Mouse (Multiplicity in this case). Basically it allows you to use one mouse/keyboard to control all six laptops manually.

That's not to say most 6 boxes aren't using illegitimate means, especially Krono farmers, but it's very possible to do it without them.
  5. Xenich Elder

His point was not that boxing is not allowed. He even specifically stated that he did not believe these were 6 different machines boxing, that they were using VMs. I agree with him. While I think that it isn't that costly to buy 6 individual PCs to "true box", the reality is that VMs are easy to setup to bypass their restrictions and anyone who has even a mild ability to search information on the internet can easily find a guide that will show them how to configure multiple VMs to appear as physical machines on a network and there is NOTHING they can do to stop this barring requiring people to allow them complete access to the players machine/network, which will be a cold day in hell for anyone who has any concept of privacy.
  6. Xenich Elder

You don't even need switches. There are programs I have used for years that use the network to pass input signals between machines and work seamlessly without any need for a KVM.
  7. Zinth Augur

guess I am nuts, I used to 6box and yes I used 6 machines, I use Orbweavers with 20 buttons on to control most the boxes and only grabbed the individual keyboards when I needed to login, rest was pretty much just hotbar buttons, you can google them they are quite handy

in this day and age I would most likely swap to streamdecks since they are smaller, with pretty led screens behind the buttons... only have 1 orb weaver left now and are 3boxing, no more needed these days with mercs

just blanket stating everyone is using VM's and cheating is to put it bluntly "idiotic" many in my guild boxes too, most around 3-4 but there are some 6 boxers... and yes we have shared desk setups... they all have an ocean of keyboards, mice and "mini keyboards" like the orbweaver...

it's not HARD to box, not even with melee chars (I run tank, bard, bst) so all 3 melee... only issue is that /follow sucks at times and it can give some adds and such then it's all just a couple of hotbuttons especially the bard... 1 assist button, 2 burn buttons, 1 melody button, 1 fade button and rest is just "normal" keyboard usage.... the beastlord uses the orbweaver, mostly because the laptop stands to my right so I can't really reach it easily, so it uses 4 buttons for moving, 5 for individual spells, 2 for shrinks (pet/grp) 3 pet heal/fortify buttons, 1 burn button, 1 aa damage/deagro button and for anything else I can just use the mouse, usually when casting pet + the buffs for it (everything memmed in the 12 slots I have) so I never even change spells unless I ding

it's NOT hard to box... and yes it isn't as efficient as a beastlord main... but it works for my needs and I currently do TDS progression on Phinny with my 3 boxes and 3 mercs and pet even offtanks when needed

so because some people can't even scope more than 1 char and get confuzzled easily doesn't mean the rest of us can't box easily... oh and both have a "target me + follow" hotbutton too, so you can add that as well

if I wanted to I could make hotbuttons to enter the HA's and such but I just type it in manually because it is easy enough
  8. Xenich Elder

I don't think "boxing" is cheating. I do think it is bad for a group game though as it makes playing multiple characters have an advantage over not. That is, it forces the standard of boxing as boxing can do more than a solo player.

When you look into all the elements of player reliance, social interaction, player grouping time variability, consequence in social actions, etc... the boxer is able to avoid a lot of those skills to control the game content. Not cheating, just an advantage that is counter productive to the initial designs of a game like EQ.

Now that is the "ideal" application of boxing, you have multiple machines and use no software controls to make a single group more efficient than a player group.

The fact is though, these days that can not be monitored. Keyboards have macro-control and scripts, as well as mice, full button binding to a single keyboard without switching that allows the player to control spells and abilities, targeting, assist commands, etc... without ever looking at another screen. All of these things can not be stopped as they are at the root level of mice, keyboards and networks to which they have no access to.

I can take 6 boxes (even true box), and set them up where they act more efficiently than that of a real player group due to the fact that I can instantly respond to anything due to being the single person controlling all characters.

So is it a cheat? Well... if you can do better, faster, and more efficiently with one person controlling multiple toons (I know I can, while I disagree with boxing/botting, I am a inquisitive, have the skills to implement such at any level, so I have tested them for fun, and yes.. they are better than playing a full group in many cases). , then it is an advantage, a cheat? hmm... not say I would fully agree with that, but certainly walking the line of honest game play.
  9. Zinth Augur

so groups are cheating over soloers... I get it... noone AT ALL want's to group you, so now you hate anyone that is in groups and can do stuff faster than you can do it solo... boxes or not...

or maybe it is a game meant for multiple chars to work together... (I didn't say people) and not for soloers... if there is 6 people of 3 or 1 behind those chars should NOT MATTER TO YOU... as long as they don't break the game code and pay for their own accounts then it is none of your business... if they choose to group with your or not or to interact with you or not should NOT MATTER TO YOU a MMORPG game doesn't mean you have to interact with everyone, it means you CAN if you so please...

and yes groups of characters can do stuff faster than soloers, that's why this is a grouping game, but it is also a solo game and a raid game and a tradeskill game and trading game and god forbid a ROLE PLAYING GAME even though many doesn't do it anymore, so lets ban ANYONE that breaks character and doesn't roleplay... because doing so is breaking how the MMO ROLE PLAYING GAME was intended... OR you could just let people play as they like to play this 21 year old game and mind your own business already right? and then shove all your cheating nonsense up a dark humid place where the sun never shines... God you are annoying
  10. Adrazon New Member

What you described is literally software based KVM which is what I said. :)
  11. Trakksem Journeyman

While I appreciate the thoughts and discussion, this has quickly gotten off topic. Boxing / Botting.... meh... not a topic worth getting into in my opinion. Too many 2cp's for me. Thank you all to joined me in topic!
  12. Xenich Elder

A KVM is traditionally a physically device and back during EQ release, this is what you neeed to handle such device switching (I had a $800 8 port KVM at the time for my rack mount setup my company got me).

My point was that it is ridiculously easy with little to no cash to box these days.
  13. Falconii New Member

He specifically said software KVM and mentioned Multiplicity.
  14. jeskola pheerie

None of this is going to happen. "new concept for our Truebox server rule set" was the quote.

More likely IMO:

- Rizlona is a straight Mangler clone without Truebox
    - Aradune has one rule change to make it a "new concept". The rule change will be underwhelming and disappointing.
    Mithra likes this.
  15. Magic Augur

- Aradune has one rule change to make it a "new concept". The rule change will be underwhelming and disappointing.''

Lol :)
    Mithra likes this.
  16. Leifer Augur

There will be far and away more boxers and botters on the Truebox server. That is where the Krono trading will take place with much more frequency. The non-truebox server will have a higher percentage of boxers on it, but the population will be a fraction of the Truebox server. Boxers who want to play on one computer are less in numbers and generally don't have the lifestyle hours to play 3+ hours at a time. Botters and RMT'ers won't bother on the non-truebox server.
  17. Machen New Member

AoC's as they currently are, probably not. But they definitely can (and have) create expansions where everyone is playing in instances constantly. There was a full year on live where all anyone did was run old man mckenzie lguk/solb instances every day. LDON is 100% instanced and everyone did them non stop when it first came out. Most group content past a certain point of the game is instanced. It isn't impossible. They've been doing it since 2004.
  18. BlingBling Journeyman

As an example on Mangler I 8 boxed legit. I had an 8 laptop setup, nothing crazy honestly. It's actually not that hard considering everything can be hotkeyed. With a few pet classes, a bard, etc... Laptops are really cheap now, can buy something that will run EQ for about $75.

It amazes me how many people think everyone is running stuff illegally. It's just not the case. If you see an 18 box, they are most likely cheating! if you see a 6 box or less, it's probably legit or close enough. There is a really good reason to 6 box, you can open your own instance.
  19. ajschliewe Elder

I would like to see a TLP that starts at Luclin with all classes that goes for 4 months, then PoP for 3, Ldon for 2, etc; Reduced lockout even if it is just reduced by 1 day. For PoP, in PoStorms, have the named mobs that also drop medallions to spawn on dz start, or reduce the respawn timer to say 1 hour. Allow mounts with buffs at start.
  20. Xenich Elder

Then I misread that. So I stand corrected.

/shrug