New Server Concept (that seems to be the trend)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gana, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Gana Augur

I am not sure how long it takes to setup a server that has specific objectives (like the one for TSS progression earlier), but I have a rough thought on the creation of a “racing” server like that. The “racing” server would basically have some objective(s) and once it is/they are realized, the rewards are passed out and the server will reset to a new set of objectives. I think once the server/database is changed to accommodate this type of server, the reset/restart time could be days, hours or even minutes.

Basically, it would be created (I am thinking a LIVE server or a Progression server where the next expansion opens as soon as the objectives for the current one is open. If there are no tasks in an expansion, it opens the next one as well) with a random set of 20 or so objectives (Quarm killed, 300 tailoring, fully evolved tear, etc). Once those objectives are checked off, a message is sent out that the server has run its course and Soandso “won/completed the most objectives” and then something is granted to the accounts of the people who played there (xp potions, illusions, etc) based on how many of the objectives are completed. Then, it resets/wipes the server, re-randomizes all the potential tasks and broadcasts a message that a new set of objectives are out to all servers (or MOTD that the server will open on suchandsuch day with new objectives). Rinse and repeat. It never lists what the objectives were until after the completion of the server.

I would not announce raid target kills, but I would announce the next expansion(s) opening (to prevent someone from getting a “leg up”, rather than instantly after the objective(s) in a particular expansion are completed, you could poll for completion every ‘X’ minutes…though I think this is more taxing on the server than just having an alert setup for when all tasks are completed). Tradeskill objectives would not be tied to a particular expansion (unless it is quest related). Of course, all of this is moot if the server is opened as LIVE to start with. Then it is just, “Server over, Gana wins (17 of 20 objectives complete)! Reset pending!”

What this does is potentially opens the best rewards for anyone (casual grouper or hardcore raider) because the objectives may not be raid related (and no one character has to complete all objectives). Furthermore, once the mechanism is in place to “rinse and repeat”, the server would be self-sustaining and would not need programmer intervention (other than standard maintenance and patching). The change to the database to add the column for objectives would not impact the other servers because the check for completion would be based on server/instance.

Apologies for the rough, rambling concept. I am sure there will be “poo-poo”ers to the idea. I am hoping there will be others who could take the concept and expound upon it, make it better and maybe catch the eye of DBG. For me, it seems like there could be a little bit for everyone. Given that they have created a server with a set of goals before, this does not seem so far fetched (though, it would depend on how they created that mechanic).

For TL;DR people - objective server. Complete unknown objectives, get rewards, rinse and repeat.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

Yep, we needed another one of these.
    Kattria Minx likes this.