New races?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kindaaniel, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Kindaaniel Journeyman

Is there any chance we would ever see new playable races or an all new class?
  2. Sebbina Augur

New class could be played from any existing cities, though new armor quests would need to be made and the question would have to be, what niche does it fill. A new race would probably require a new city, from a new or lost area such as the TSS expansion, a half race wouldn't but, is prob less desirable. Any new race/class is probably very low on priorities as the ability to PL from 1 to 100, would provide limited new playtime, and with Defiant armor being relatively plentiful the challenge would be minimal to most.
    That said if EQNEXT were ever to see the light of day and have the numbers playing to justify the ongoing development then there could be new races/classes to set it apart from EQ and EQ2.
    Kindaaniel likes this.
  3. fortuneteller Augur

I personally would hate having the already limited resources there are be put onto something that is not worth a lot.

New race = you already use illusion items, so ...
    class = massive amount of Work, and resources... Work, spells/discs powers from lvl 1-105, AA same. (Remember how big job it is when only 5 levels, this is much worse.

So no.
  4. Battleaxe Augur

Any chance? Ever?
    Sure.

Should they, ever?
    Nope.

It's a very odd world indeed that tolerates umpteen thousand sentient races. Lessee modern humans, Neanderthals, Denisovians, ... Oh, I understand fantasy and that dragons are a tad unlikely but classic high fantasy (D&D/Dragonlance) tends to focus on human, dwarf, elf, halfling, giant, minotaur/troll as playable races even if the monster compedium is massive.

And the same goes for vocations - fighter with some subspecies, red mage, white mage/healer, illusionist, thief...

A system which has a little more plausability (admittedly not much) and saves a bunch of 3D modeling (expensive). (Nearly every shield ornamentation is pierced by my Dwarven character's Dark Elf armor. Quantity is often not the hand maiden of quality).

I realize there is a shark not yet jumped as high as it could be jumped, but please resist the urge and spend what you have available to spend on C O N T E N T. tyvm. (I've not raised the shield cosmetic issue before - IMO content trumps it.)
    Kindaaniel likes this.
  5. Numiko Augur

They are be able to add new races to EQ2 no problem it seems, playable races there have like doubled since 2004
    Kindaaniel likes this.
  6. Iila Augur

EQ2 had slightly better planning than EQ1.
  7. complexication Kassina

Given how archaic EQ's coding is I don't see a new race happening anytime in the near or distant future.

And that's excluding the pain in the rear it would be to the lore, items, innates, etc.
  8. Reval Augur

I would say that a new race is something that should probably be a very low priority with everything else going on, but I would always say to denounce this sort of logic. If it's really that "archaic", then remake it with something you can maintain, but this same logic is easy to apply to anything if you want to kill the game.

"Given how archaic EQ's coding is I don't see a new expansion happening anytime in the near or distant future."

"Given how archaic EQ's coding is I don't see a new zone happening anytime in the near or distant future."

"Given how archaic EQ's coding is I don't see any bug fixes happening anytime in the near or distant future."

"Given how archaic EQ's coding is I don't see a way to instance older zones happening anytime in the near or distant future."

"Given how archaic EQ's coding is I don't see a way to implement a new looting system happening anytime in the near or distant future."

"Given how archaic EQ's coding is I don't see a way to implement non pvp instances on Zek happening anytime in the near or distant future."

"Given how archaic EQ's coding is I don't see a way to eat a sandwhich happening anytime in the near future. It's just too archaic guys."

I don't buy logic that can make anything impossible at the drop of a hat, and that's what this sort of logic does. This sounds more like a problem you should be bringing up to Shia Labeouf than to the EQ forums.

What I do buy are transparent answers to things like this. You're a member of the community, so why does the community shoot itself in the foot at every turn with this sort of answer? Have you actually seen the code, or is this second hand assumption? I'm fine with this sort of thing being less important than other things, I'll make that clear. But the perception that everything is too hard to do just pigeonholes you to no end. It's not a healthy outlook. Just like I'm sure the perception you're forming of how you think I view things is also not a healthy outlook, but I'm not as far the other way as you'd probably want to think after reading this. I just want us to have more reasonable foundations as to why things can/can't should/shouldn't happen.

The TLP community doesn't do this to itself, and look at all they get. Our role is as customers, so we should be able to ask for reasonable things. We shouldn't be scared to because of "how archaic EQ's coding is". And I know it is very old, and probably a bit difficult. But obviously things still get done. If suddenly realistic requests are too difficult to pull off, maybe they should hire more developers, and if they can't do that, I'd like to know why as a customer in that case. That's our role. Not "everything's too archaic to ask for". The sooner customers stop asking for things, the sooner the game dies.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Syrup like this.
  9. Whulfgar Augur

I think they should. On both accounts..

I'd rather see a new playable character class, then any more of this "Balancing out" of current classes to be real witcha..
    Kindaaniel likes this.
  10. Fallanthas Lorekeeper

Because it's true?

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't make it the wrong answer.
  11. Beimeith Lord of the Game

This.

When EQ was originally coded there was enough space for 16 classes and 16 races. That was how much room they had to expand into and it's all used up now.

I don't even want to imagine how difficult it would be for them to add a new class/race in. It would require changing every bit of code that deals with those things. They would basically have to remake EQ from the ground up.

Adding more bag slots/bigger bags took over a year because of how deep in the code it was. I would imagine changing the code to add in more of these would take a lot longer, especially considering how they are running on half a skeleton crew at this point.

There is 0 reason to do either of them. What limited resources are available need to be kept on content as much as possible or it really will be the end.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Reval like this.
  12. Reval Augur

That's a more specific answer that isn't a cookie cutter solution to denying everything. That's why it's a right answer. I can respect when things are difficult, and I'm not saying to just do everything, but this defeatist attitude that I sometimes see with no logic behind it is something I don't think anyone should stand for.

I'm sorry, EQ's coding is just so archaic that your point failed. Feel free to reroll as a new character and try again.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It's not being defeatist. These questions have been asked SO many times, and the (full) answer given in response SO many times people are tired of repeating it so just they give a short/snarky reply.

And yet, people still bug them about the same crap over and over and over and over and over again.

New Character models - Not going to happen. Ever.
    New Classes - Not going to happen. Ever.
    New Races - Not going to happen. Ever.
    Epic 3.0s - Not going to happen. Ever.

I actually made a list of all the stupid people ask for. I was going to make bingo cards out of them and bring them to Fan Faire this year so we could play it during the Q&As but they cancelled it :(

The current list is 40 items
  14. Koryu Professional Roadkill

Don't add a new race to the existing list. Instead, replace Drakkin with something else. Nobody plays them, and you could have an event launching the new race like when The War coincided with the emergence of the Guktans. :p
  15. Numiko Augur

in the past they have also said:

Mounts - never going to happen
    Player housing - never going to happen
    New armor looks - never going to happen
    Changing pet stats on TLP servers without affecting live - never going to happen.
    Reval likes this.
  16. Kiillz Augur

i mean really.....with all the loot cards drop items etc and illusions.....do we REALLY need a new class? which in turn would promote having to do much more to accomodate said class when there are so MANY other pertinent issues that need to be addressed in game??
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

None of which are remotely the same thing.
  18. Reval Augur

I'm actually not personally too concerned over another class being in the game, to me that's not what it's about. I like Numiko's point, and thank you very much for posting it. These aren't the same thing from a fully technical standpoint, but it goes to show that things that are "impossible" have been done in the past, which really negates the whole "too archaic can't do it" standpoint. When you hear everything is impossible and yet things keep happening, impossible becomes too much of a blanket statement to really accept. I know I'll suffer some form of diabetes for saying this, but with the right attitude, a lot more is possible than you'd think.

I know that sometimes posting the reason for something may be a lot of work, but saying "There's only 16 slots for races in game, and it's hard to improve upon that" is a lot better than just saying "EQ is too archaic, I don't see this happening". I know it gets tiring, but I think it's important. Maybe make a sticky thread of why things are hard to do? I think it's a hard thing to say this while still being respectful of the other side, and I want to be as respectful as I can in saying it, but "too archaic" is just not the right attitude. I would hope that Samuel Johnson's quote “People need to be reminded more often than they need to be instructed.” fits what I'm trying to say.

If there are 16 character slots, at least people can make suggestions like Koryu did. Maybe many will be bad for whatever reason. I think that if you removed drakkins, a lot of people that are drakkin would be bothered by it. But what about using a sort of permanent invisible buff that passively stacks (graphically) with other illusions, and grants a new ability as well? You could say the new race spawned off of an existing race.. say humans, and as such is still generally considered to be a human. Maybe that's a bad idea too, but maybe it's a great idea. If you prove that it's bad based on some catch 22 that's really in the game, I'll be happy to hear it. Just don't tell me it's "too archaic". Even though I'm not really one of them, there are paying customers that would like a new race, and if it ends up being easy to implement, a new race wouldn't cause balance issues, and could make a few people happy.

And in regard to the lack of resources, maybe since they fired a ton of people, they should just hire more devs. I don't see why or how this topic is not constantly on the table. We're paying for a service, and there is a request for more of the service. I don't think asking for the service to go further to satisfy the people that are paying for it is unreasonable. Lack of resources is clearly a constant concern.
  19. Lianeb Augur

Maybe the other side is paying customers that would like to see them focus on more newer content than trying to surmount the EQCode of creating a new race for those that would like to play it.

A new race seemed to work well with Vah Shir, Frog, Drakkin (my guild has none other than alts). How much of the population do you see in game on a daily basis, is one of those races? Do you think a new one would be worth the effort?
  20. Reval Augur

I already stated that I don't. In the part of my post that you quoted. The attitude that people have about it overall is what I'm posting against. Anytime ANYTHING is suggested, it's always impossible and shouldn't be done. We're crabs in a bucket over here. Meanwhile TLP could ask for Daybreak to have nagafen drop amazon gift cards for $50 and probably get it, because they defeat themselves so much less. A lot of their requests I find a bit silly, but compare and contrast the overall results. It's hard to argue with results. They get devs to do things whereas we overly pigeonhole ourselves. Feel free to read the posts and ask if you still have questions about what I'm trying to say.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.