New Race/Class Combinations

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gnomereaper, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Aurastrider Augur

In my own mind ogres are dumb even if they are made smarter they will still be rather dumb and I personally just don't see them as casters. Adding a couple extra brain cells does not equate to superior intelligence imo.

Doing flying kicks and stabbing someone in the back are on two different levels. A dwarf even leaving his feet just seems rather silly to me unless he is being launched from a gnomish catapult.

Send me the cliff notes. Based on the title I am assuming it has more to do with conducting war and less to do with being a warrior and probably even less to do with being a medieval warrior which is basically what the EQ warrior is. If intelligence makes the best warrior not physical attributes a wizard should be able to tank like a champ.
    code-zero likes this.
  2. svann Augur

Before the curse they werent dumb.
  3. Gnomereaper Augur

Clausewitz On War through wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_War

Medieval?

Byzantium Military Manuals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_military_manuals

Combination of the two really.

Iksars are based on Roman warriors. Venril Sathir's wife, Druesella, is named after Calligula's wife. If we take in the Combine Empire uses Latin words, they would be the Byzantines while the Iksars would be the Western Roman Empire during the decline but prior to the rise of the medieval era.

Byzantium continued the high education of the Roman system, while the West declined into barbarism and then finally was able to united almost a few times. Had Justinian's conquest went as he had planned, the Roman Empire would have been reunified. Right now we're looking at with Ring of Scale a strange version of the Crusades minus the the religious nature of the Crusades.

Gnomes are basically steam punk futurists.
    Ogres in their prime were culturally not the same. We have Korscasian Warrens to see the real Murdunk prior to their fall.

Everquest Next's take on Ogres:

[IMG]

Had ogres kept evolving from Murdunk's time period, they would have been similar to the Kael Drakkel Frost Giants, warriors venerating Rallos Zek but technologically and militarily advanced. Now that they have regained much of their sense of selves, you can see through the Call of the Forsaken Heroic Adventures they way their culture has changed once more.

The theme of most of the evil races outside of the Neriak Dark Elves were those of fallen and declining races. Ruins of Kunark, the title says it on the box. But it's still there, the military traditions of the Combine Empire still exist and now are thriving as well as the old order Iksar are seen in the traditions of the current Sarnaks.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Aurastrider Augur

Even if the curse is lifted as a society they are rather unintelligent. It is doubtful they would all of a sudden become intelligent once the curse is lifted without some kind of outside assistance. Generations of unintelligence raising unintelligent children is going to result in a society that will have to spend significant time working towards education and even then would they want to become intelligent. This could end up being an interesting idea if two factions of ogre were created. One faction that values muscle and brutal war tactics and the other that is more sophisticated and values the mind more. The two factions would take up sides with the casters aligning with the good races and the warrior and shaman classes remaining on the evil side.
  5. Aurastrider Augur

I still don't see how running an army and playing a warrior correlate? Unless you as the high elf warrior are going to command legions to do your bidding you are still an intelligent wet noodle. Some of the most intelligent military minds never step foot on the battle field and when they do they certainly are not in the front lines and for good reason. If you let the brains of the operation go down you are bound to fail.

In the end if all of these suggestions were implemented there would be no racial identity. Intelligent races being brutal warriors, dumb races being casters, evil races being one with nature and so on down the line. You might as well just exterminate the human race from Norrath with this scenario because I see no reasonable reason to play one if all these suggestions were implemented unless humans were given a racial ability and it would have to be a damn good one at that.
  6. code-zero Augur

The real question is really, would people trade off the frontal melee stun immunity in exchange for smarter Rallosian Ogres with more classes available?

The same could be asked about Iksar's getting an armor boost.

Honestly I was being sort of tongue in cheek with my earlier post about expanding Drakkin racial innate's but considering that they're a species genetically engineered by a Dragon Faction they could very well have an innate AC and stun resist as well as being any class if their parent dragons wanted them to have it
  7. Gnomereaper Augur

They had a 15 AC bonus that was removed during TSS beta. Honestly, rebalancing some of the racial abilities especially now that we can race swap would be good. Humans get nothing, while Halflings are overpowered. Not to say nerf, but dwarves lost their skill boost of 50 Sense Heading when sense heading was an actual skill. Now everyone starts off at 200.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. plobb Elder

Pls gnome beast, I get tired of buying gnome race potions as soon as they are available on baz. Gnome are best race by far.