New Race/Class Combinations

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gnomereaper, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Tevik Augur

It would be kind of cool to see a faction of High Elves split off and go evil, a la the Erudites. High elf SK/Necro would be oddly enjoyable.
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Ngreth Thergn Developer

what fransisco said.
    I am writing a quest, and I had to resist mightily when the NPC commented on you coming back from killing "one of everything." I almost said something about all Norrathins being murderhobos... but resisted the temptation.
    Sindaiann, huffy71, Ishtass and 4 others like this.
  3. Zapsos Augur

Vah Shir monks! Gracious cat people spin kicking everyone in the face sounds awesome
    svann likes this.
  4. Zapsos Augur

Vah Shir has been able to be Berserkers since GoD :p
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Numiko Augur

I've never understood why half elves cant be clerics, they have paladins!
    Barbarian and Dwarven Bard is sort of a natural too, and as another nod to Forgotten realms a Dark Elf Beastlord with a spider pet.

EQ2 has added a whole slew of races over the last 10 year, why cant we now that the Global Limit on models has been smashed.
  6. Tevik Augur

I could get behind this. Replace the Iksar Tail Rake attack with Tail Whip.
  7. Wolrok Elder

Ya know, I thought they did, but was posting from my phone and googling it showed multiple sources that didn’t list it for Vah Shir. So I went with what they said. Oops.

On a different note, question: When it comes to adding new classes to races, do technical considerations come into play? A lot of races don’t have robe models (casters and monks), and probably don’t have music instrument animations (bard).
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Vah Shir - Druid (these big cats are at one with nature)
    Gukta - Beastlord with mosquito pet (both parent classes can be frogs!)
    Dark Elf - Ranger (because rangers can be bad) and it came 2nd in the last vote! Should have one and I'm sure it was fixed not too!
  9. skattabrainz Augur

No love for barbarian Paladin? They can worship Mmarr, and they would obviously look stunning in their Pali armor. Bring righteousness to Halas!
  10. Ratbo Peep Augur

Don't resist anything funny.
    The kind of humor we saw in Grelleth's and Bixie is sorely missed.
    -R
  11. roth Augur

You do realize, don’t you, that Vah Shir can already be Berserkers?
  12. FurySoul Augur

Gnome for all classes (Tinkering for everyone!)
    Drakkin Shaman and Drakkin Berserker
  13. Morgen Elder

To be honest DBG is missing a lot of opportunity for low hanging fruit $ here by not allowing all classes available to all races for a DBC value. Lot of RP possibilities too (does anyone do that anymore?!) You wouldn't even need to do the work of putting in new GMs, etc - just have a window pop up that your dwarf SK, troll paladin, etc. is a "special" class combination and you won't have any support from your own hometown, may be hunted there, etc. Having Crescent Reach makes it even less of a problem.

You would just need to restrict a couple racial innates to the original classes so that everyone wouldn't racechange to ogre for the stun immunity, and there shouldn't be any significant balancing issues, either, even on TLP.

Would be a little bit of minimum work to figure out what sort of warders for weirdo BST races, but that would probably be more fun than anything else.
  14. Rubiota Journeyman

I think vah shir druid would be most likely for a new one.

I think frog ranger would be fun to play but frogs got a silly new edition last round of additions so they're probably out.

Barbarian monk would also be a good one and thematically appropriate, but again monks got an addition last time.

So next addition will probably be something silly like lizard berserkers and erudite beastlords (bat pet would be thematic if in the hole or kobold)
  15. code-zero Augur

Let Drakkin be any class and give them frontal melee stun immunity and innate regen, safe fall, persistent illusion and forage and be done with it. Then all Daybreak needs to do is sell race illusion clickies and they clean up and everyone is happy
  16. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Don't forget the halfling experience bonus.
    code-zero likes this.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You can't have Universal Class-Race combos as it could hurt years of lore (i.e. wood elves aren't mentioned in BST epics). I wonder if it is one of the factors affecting EQ2 population as that game feels generic.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. Aurastrider Augur

Barbarian's don't live in a land with enough light to be considered part of the holy brotherhood.

Dwarfs are to round and not nimble enough to be a bard or monk. Maybe a sumo wrestler would be more fitting

High elf warrior sounds like a wet noodle trying to stay upright and everyone knows high elves are way to much of a snob to be one with nature. They frown upon their cousins that climb trees.

Ogre's are to dumb to be a caster and are round like a dwarf but taller so they would be more fitting as a sumo wrestler not a monk.

Troll Rogues could not creep up on a deaf and blind quadriplegic.

Vah Shir zerker makes sense but I think this is already a current combo. Their pure size, strength, and feral appetite for destruction make them a perfect zerker.
    code-zero likes this.
  19. Gnomereaper Augur

Ogre curse has been going away over the last few expansions, so it stands to lore reasons that easily an ogre could be a different type of caster. Dwarves are nimble, look no farther than their rogues.

The issue with "warriors r stupid" is that if you look at any society with a scholar warrior tradition is that military history is a sub discipline of intellectual history. Read Clausewitz's On War, which is one of the most current fundamental books to military thinking today. That's about as high elf as you can get.
    snailish likes this.
  20. snailish Augur

Lore considerations should apply, though new lore can be made. Graphic considerations do apply (though I have always wondered why robe/silk couldn't just default to the leather look on the races that don't have robe/silk graphic currently?).

Dwarf need evil lore to open up classes (i.e., Dwarves of Despair server Rolfron Zek) and silk model... though Thurgadin heritage (and silk model) could also work to give them most combos.

High elves are portrayed as arrogant... so the lore would need them abandoning faith for Discord or something (Felwithe as a raid zone, the faithful remnant flees to Kelethin...) and then more classes makes sense.

Half elf could easily/logically be everything human can be, but needs silk model solution.

Ogres the lore is already there for Rallosians to return with brains, but silk model limitation...

Troll rogue is amusing, corrupt druids/rangers makes more sense. They have big noses for hunting after all. Silk model is a limitation.

Vah shir were Druids on the one pvp server. Worshipped Karana iirc. Silk model limitation, but really they could be rangers and druids easily. Monks need the silk model, evil classes needs the lore...

Iksar lore has been added to with all the Cazic Thule connected expacs... easily justify more classes there, including faithful clerics and paladins of Cazic. Extending the Cazic worship revival further, Paineel Erudites could have way more options, Troll classes that can't currently worship Cazic could have that added, it could even be extended to humans. New combos can be smaller tweaks too.

The other tweak that would be great is more starting city options on existing things. If your race/class is tolerated in Neriak Foreign Quarter than let it be home there... Freeport... etc.

All/all is not a good solution. Adding even 1 combo every anniversary there are a lot of things you could do before hitting the lore/silly wall.