New Progression Server FAQ and Upcoming Poll Details

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Aristo, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Alexanders Augur

This theory of players policing themselves with the reduced GM support that we get today is just a fantasy. It has already failed on previous progression servers and will continue to do so. I raided the original pre-kunark era planes and it was a cluster back then but with lots of hard work from guild leaders and a ton of hand holding from GM's with a few GM smack downs in between we worked it out.

I don't know what is available to you for instancing these old raids or even if instances is the answer to how it should be done. However I can tell you now that players just playing nice and working it out without significant GM intervention is not the answer. Without fear of punishment from GM's a handful of players will indeed wreck the enjoyment of the majority and you will once again have small groups of boxers and guilds locking down raids and ruining that experience for the majority. Please consider alternatives to this issue other than just letting players resolve the issues themselves. This is not 1999 and there is not the GM presence there once was to help patrol the player base.

Anything that GM's do to resolve this issue would be better than just deciding to do nothing and letting players handle this. Simulated re-spawn, lockout timers for guilds or individuals, instances or even officially recognized GM enforced raid rotation schedules would be sufficient to alleviate the raid cluster ****.

Thanks
  2. voidwind New Member

Question ..........what about corpse runs will gear be left on corpses when death occurs.............aka do we have to do the corpse runs that occurred when eq first came out or loose our gear? Really hoping the answer is no gear stays with us
  3. Alexanders Augur

no corpse runs on progression servers.
  4. Reminiscing Journeyman

Defiant gear with the original expansions? I hope I read this wrong. Seems like the original + first two expansions would be a joke with updated loot.
  5. Fallfyres Augur

Did they release that specific topic being addressed, sorry I haven't been able to find it as yet, really lots of details I don't see public yet --- we wanna know! ^-^

I realize there are some things that are being assumed will be similar to the former two progression servers. However, since they made the effort to create polls, one is led to believe that some information gathered from said polls will be implemented into THIS upcoming progression server.

The people who are going to subscribe for it are VERY MUCH going to base their decision on those DETAILS!
  6. Simkin New Member

Hello:

I have not played EQ since EQ2 came out. It may have been 10 years or more. My son told me about the progression server so I am GREAT. Signed up for an account, started reading. Just went through 16 pages. Many asking, but NOT ONE answer to where I can sign up for Beta, IF beta has already started, etc. etc. etc.

I guess I will keep reading but it would be nice to not have to spend hours to find the right spot/answers.

I have played MANY game systems. EQ was the best. Eventually all games migrate to [must join a guild, spend tons of hours raiding, to get the equipment that is over powered and gives too much of an advantage to those that have the highest tier equipment and takes skill out of the equation]. WoW was the most fun when it was level 50 max. I think EQ was great until after Velious. Anyways, I just want to say thanks for the opportunity to 'start EQ reboot'. I hope there are not too many changes from the original. I am very much looking forward to starting.

SO, I will keep searching, BUT, if anyone KNOWS, please state a link or exactly how I get into Beta, or start playing on this Server. THANKS
  7. Bandok Augur

No, they haven't directly addressed corpse runs for this server. It was voted on for the last servers. And "No corpse runs" won in an absolute landslide. There's absolutely no reason for them (or us) to think the opinion on that would have changed by 40 percentage points in the last four years.

The argument for corpse runs seems to be that it "adds risk." But most of us aren't interested in getting a group, having it trained and wiped after 10 minutes, and then spending 4 hours trying to get back to the corpse (due to getting trained again and again) just to get our gear back.
  8. Fallfyres Augur

--------------------------
    *Noted Bandok. And while I do not scream for its inclusion, the way that dynamic affected players and the gameworld back in the day is definitely something I do value. Though I'll add...of course it gets to be a hassle but...the caution one presumed, the need for interdependency on other PEOPLE playing other classes, the planning one often did in order to AVOID a time-eating corpse run / or at least lessen the likelihood was a dynamic in the game that was very positive and obvious. Since some percentage of people are all about using micro-step planned online guides for every zone and hunt -- the idea of having some element that requires additional thinking is not complete anathema in my opinion.

Identifying speed of accomplishment in leveling through or upwards, is not necessarily a fabulous correlation to saying that corpse run/recovery has absolutely no reason to be put in.

Plus, we all know the player input from polls is just one part of what the devs are considering as they make these global decisions on exactly what will be in and what won't be in on this New Progression Server. I am waiting for select details as I'm sure many others are too. Mainly, I'm deeply hoping the New Progression Server coming up is NOT an EXACT REPLICA OF WHAT WE'VE ALREADY HAD>on those other two that were...tried.
  9. Alexanders Augur

Actually they did address corpse runs as well as lots of other details. It is available in the progression server FAQ post here... https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...-server-faq-and-upcoming-poll-details.219588/
  10. Yuudai New Member

When does this go live?
  11. Fallfyres Augur

----------------------

Yes thanks for the link Alexanders! I must need to flex my rule of beginning to drink adult beverages only after 8 pm east coast time since I haven't had any yet and I still don't see where corpse run is literally addressed in the link. I found that coin won't be left on bodies ;o). I also didn't see if coins will have weight...would that be covered under the unchanged changes that need to be included because 'geometry must be the same for live servers and progression ones?'

Looks like DB has some preset limitations that cannot even be considered in light of original Norrath, though it is done elsewhere, and which noticeably incur an inability to present even a 'very near to classic server' as many were hoping for. ;o/

Well, it will be great when we finally get all of the exact details of this upcoming server so players can make decisions and plan.
  12. Soltara Augur

I dont understand why people are still confusing classic server with this particular progression server,
  13. Barton The Mischievous

Q: Will you be removing changes you have made to game functions?

In most cases, no. For instance, the UI will be current, you will not leave your items on your corpse when you die, coin will not have weight, and the enhanced loot system will be in place. If it is a modern system that is enabled on live servers for everyone, it will be in place.
  14. Fallfyres Augur

-------------------
    *Sips on adult beverage and heartily thanks Barton.
  15. Alexanders Augur

beta testing is expected in the next week or two. The only official word on the live date for this progression server is "summer"
  16. DBCooper Elder

Why are kill achievements disabled? It stinks to not keep track of those. Why not just disable banestrike on the new server instead?
    Jadefox likes this.
  17. Numiko Augur

i seem to recall achievements would be in, but I imagine rewards like banestrike or things like that will be disabled.
  18. Numiko Augur

the server is showing in server select right now, but locked..... I'm betting Beta this week and it could go live (depending on how the stress testing goes of course) before the end of May.
  19. Naqahdah New Member

I've been reading the debate about instancing raid content, and the... Unlikely reasoning DBG has given, but it left me curious; why would instancing even be necessary, when a simple debuff would do?

I haven't played in a looooong time, but I remember the tech being in forever ago to port you away from Naggy if you attacked him under certain circumstances, so I know attacking him can itself be an effect trigger... Wouldn't something like a debuff work just as effectively as an instance lock while requiring a metric ton less effort to implement?
    Fallfyres likes this.
  20. Arkk Lorekeeper

It would stink to leave out corpse runs--meaning we spawn with our equipment--and I understand if it isn't a function that can simply be turned off, but that is such a huge change to the game that decreases the risk factor, time investment, and the necessity for communication. It trivializes the challenge of raiding, soloing, and travel in the game in such a negative way (like saying you couldn't possibly turn off mercs or fast travel, or ahem letting players buy exp potions from the marketplace).

Taking out corpse runs was a convenience when it became tough to get help due to low populations of active players in most zones, but that will not be the case here. Instead, we will see it exploited for overpulling or zerg rushing named spawns and fast travelling to bind points since we can just rez those corpses later for the exp: if we even care about the exp loss. The fast exp/mana regen with no death penalty, and fast loading spell tool already makes it super simple to recover from death and be right back in the battle. So casters (specifically those infamous mage groups we saw on Fippy botted by one person) still have all of their incredibly largely overpowering advantages. Are we going to see the same norm (but even worse) of abusing new class and game mechanics vs. the old style of play?

If we absolutely have to spawn with our equipment, what about adding a CR penalty (like the old, long term rez effects of 3 minutes--or make it 5) that gives us base stats for longer time periods to mimic a CR and take those players out of any relevant role in a fight close to their bind spot.

And can we at least disable the map function/button in game? Or, if not, turn off our position and direction on the map, and don't show group members? Why is this something that needs to be kept in game? Why prevent the shock of getting lost, learning zones by memory, or having to use sense heading, and /loc to find our groups, corpses, or the general direction we are headed?
    Fallfyres likes this.