New possible TS item ??

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nennius, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

I play a Dwarven Paladin. I am also trying to finish off my hunter achievements. To do so I need to get past some locked doors. I have started leveling up a rogue on another account to pick locks but that will take a bit of doing for me. I have never boxed, so that is another complication. Anyway, how about a long somewhat PITA TS arc that at the end would give the deserving doer (in this case me) an item that would pick locks? It could have a moderately long reuse time and I would still find it useful.

So, TS guru at DBG (nudge at N****H), any thoughts on this? If needed, I will bribe you with a trip to In and Out on me. If that isn't to your liking, choose your fast food place. I am a public school teacher with four kids and one in college so I am afraid that fast food is what I can offer at present.

P.S. I don't really expect to happen, but I have been encouraged to dream more by my wife, so here it is. :)
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

I'm still waiting for tinkered snowshoes, too (to prevent slipping on slippery surfaces).

It doesn't help your scenario really (unless you Act of Valor, run back and drag the corpse through the door after picking it), but you can shroud as a goblin to pick locks. If you're just going to level a toon for the purposes of pick lock I would definitely recommend bard so that you have the added benefit of tracking.
    Nniki and Duder like this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Hmmm A bard? Possibility. It is one class I have never tried.
  4. roth Augur

Does that AAAA thing, the Antiquities Analyzer, work on doors? Its the thing from the Dead Hills, you get the hand ins to obtain and then empower it from Tower of Rot (instances only? Not sure) and from a certain line of Dead Hills HA’s.

I know it works on chests, I’ve used it there, but I have not tried it on doors.
  5. Nniki Augur

It doesn't work on doors. It's for targetable stuff like the Reebo, Wuggan, Iony, and Xalirilan line of spells. It actually casts those spells if you click the spell link for Activate Antiquity Analyzer. Swap it between inventory slots, and you'll see it casts the respective spell (Sense Traps, Disarm Traps, and Pick Lock).
  6. Stephen51 Augur

Winston Churchill once said " You cant please all of the people all of the time".

Making a TS item to open locked door, might upset the rogue community - a group you don't want to get on the wrong side of (bit of a backstabbing joke there). They could argue the ability to be class defining and that giving all access to the ability would weaken an already low population of a class (Quality over Quantity guys, put those knives away...).

You could counter argue that DB haven't put any or much content in recently which was locked permanently behind a door without a key so it's hardly going to be game breaking if we got an item to open doors. It would have to be a tinkering item, with a charge or charges, that perhaps could pick the lock - allowing the door to open for a short time before the effects wear off.

Alternatively, why not give pick lock to another ailing class - the Cleric. They haven't had the best time of it in recent years. The Cleric divines with their deity to allow the party to pass. In return give Rogues a Rez :)

By the way I know Winston Churchill did not coin the phrase mentioned above, but to be fair I didn't say that he said it first!
  7. Ngreth Thergn Developer

At this time, the answer is no.
    Duder likes this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Did you consult the magic 8 ball for that?
    Ngreth Thergn likes this.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

I appreciate the reply and the offer of a bribe stands. :) As suggested above, perhaps a fairly simple way to make a change COULD be to make the Archaeologist's Automated Antiquity Analyzer able to be used on things that cannot be targeted, like doors. I hesitate using the word simple there because I have no good way of knowing just how simple, or not, it might actually be.

On the other hand, I really do like long involved quest arcs...