New porting ability for wizard

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Highwizard, Mar 2, 2023.

1. Highwizard Augur

Hello! So I think it would be cool if the wizards had a port ability similar to mages ability to move people to their location. Only port ourselves to our group location not other people. I think that would be a nice self utility added to the class. What are your thoughts?
    Iven, Vumad and menown like this.
  2. Spacemonkey555 Augur

I think that what you describe should be added as a general utility for all players, either warp to party member or warp party member to me, even from different zones. Giving it to wizards only would be a horrible mistake, as then the perception would be it’s a wizard benefit that shouldn’t be shared and wizard dps shouldn’t be higher because they can warp to party, both bad results.

Can disable it in some zones like coth is already if they want travel to be a challenge sometimes.
    Dre. likes this.
  3. Notinterested Augur

This makes absolutely no sense at all. Giving it to wizards makes perfect sense. What dont make sense is why its currently only a mage thing.

Your hypothetical about perception being wizard DPS shouldnt be higher because they get CoTH makes even less sense again because Mage already has this ability in reality and thats not the case at all.
    Toukan likes this.
  4. Brickhaus Augur

No thank you. I cannot say when playing my wizard (or druid) that I've ever felt like there's not a place I cannot run to faster than any other class (bards excluded). Evacs plus generally knowing zones better than most other classes has never made traveling difficult for me.

If it has nothing to do with boosting my wizard's damage, then thanks but no thanks. It's all about the boom.
  5. Szilent Augur

Pretty meh on the sploiterific port-to-others thing. The cool sploit ability I'd prefer is free-target shadowstep!
  6. Spacemonkey555 Augur

It's not a mage thing, as far as I know it reportedly used to be an exploit program thing but no class has ever been able to port to others legit. OP asked for the opposite of COTH, the ability to port to others, not pull them to you.
  7. Waitwhat Elder

I'd in stead like to implement that a wizard should be able to gate to all zones that they have zoned into manually. ALL zones! It's a wizard!
  8. Highwizard Augur

So, to clarify, this ideal is to NOT supersede DPS improvements we need. I would prefer DPS over another utility function. I was noisy during beta for DPS, and I still prioritize DPS over any type of new utility or port.
    Waitwhat likes this.
  9. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

Don't wizards get a self evac? The combination of self evac and self port-to-group seems like it'd make it really trivial to bypass combat timers mid-fight. I don't know how much wizards would be able to capitalize on that, but it's a consideration.
  10. Brickhaus Augur

I dislike the idea, but huh?

CoH already ignores combat timers. Evac ignores combat timers. Neither one eliminates combat timers so you're not getting out of them earlier. Evac only sometimes appears to because it takes so long to zone.

I have no idea what you are trying to imply here.
  11. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

Not sure what's hard to understand. Fighting a raid mob gives you a 5 minute combat timer during which you can't use out-of-combat abilities like Tranquil Blessings or benefit from the out-of-combat regen bonus. Zoning immediately removes this timer (the timer is still displayed by the UI due to the bug but you're not in combat). It's common in raids for players to capitalize on this by gating, getting back some mana, then bannering back to the raid.

When you evac you get a loading screen meaning you drop your combat timer, same as gating. A combination of self evac and self port-back-to-your-group means a wizard would be able to do this extremely efficiently with no assistance and minimal time loss.
  12. Iven the Lunatic

That would be a reversed CoTH which is a great idea. I would even extend that to a group spell. The wizard class definetly does need more tools beside only doing DPS.

As many raid guilds and players would (ab)use such a feature for putting up a permanent PC anchor like a hidden rogue, some areas would need to be restricted, maybe even whole zones excluded. However a magician could already been parked and used for the same reasons so not much would change. The magician however is more likely to aggro mobs and getting killed because it does not have a permanent Shroud of Stealth and only a summoned clicky with a short duration SoS.

Scotty, beam us up !

[IMG]
  13. Dre. Altoholic

^^
  14. menown Augur

I think less needs to be given as general utility, and more needs to be given as class specific utility. Ports clickies are already farmed out to all classes. Give this utility to wizards.
    Iven likes this.
  15. Tucoh Augur

As someone who doesn't play a wizard, a port-to-target (including NPCs and out of group players!) would be a cool spell for wizards. I don't really care if it opens up some abuses. I abused CotH so hard to box the Cut off the Head achievement, how bad could a port-to-target be??

If they add this, it should definitely be part of something that helps balance wizard DPS in order to avoid being perceived as wizards getting utility instead of DPS.