New Player -- What server is right for me?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Dynn1976, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Dynn1976 New Member

Basically this. What server is right for me. I played EQ around 2000 or so. I leveled Bard to 40 on Rallos Zek I think. I've been back since then and hated the portals and I think the Planes of Power.

I'd like to play a server as close to the original EQ without much change. Does this mean Ragefire? Also, what is the no box server I've seen mention of? A classic type server without the ability to run multiple accounts?

Would appreciate it if someone can help an original noob out. :) Thanks.
  2. Elsewhere Elder

SOE/DBG have 2 "TLP" servers (Ragefire and Lockjaw), which are currently at the Kunark expansion. They are only available to members, so that will cost you £9 per month, or your regional equivalent. Multi-boxing is legal, but the reception you will get doing it will largely depend on the community of the server*. There is rumor of a 3rd TLP on the horizon where boxing is not legal, but I have no facts or links for that, just rumour.

The other option is P1999 which is an emulation based EQ clients/server not run by DBG, but has an unofficial "thumbs up" from SOE not to get a cease-and-desist copyright takedown. P99 is currently at Velious, but with no plans to unlock Luclin or anything beyond it. Boxing is completely illegal and will get you banned (in theory, cant say how things are in practice). It is free-to-play but you will need a EQ Titanium client for the install.

I cant comment about P99 first hand, as I cant get the bloody thing to work. I am fairly sure others will post more about that, (*in addition to the community feedback to boxing)
  3. kraggnar Elder

The rumored new server is NO BOT, boxing from separate computers without 3rd party program help is ok.
  4. Elsewhere Elder

I was under the impression ALL servers, players are not allowed to BOT regardless. It seems strange to say "this new server will have the same no BOT rules as all the others"

I run 2 instances on the same PC, but with no additional software, just alt-tabbing between the 2. The way I understand it, is that I would not be permitted on this new server because I am playing on a single PC rather than 2 separate PCs.
  5. Porterz73 Augur

It is true that your style of boxing will not be allowed in the new server but the good news you will still have every other server to enjoy your play style.

The reason this new server is being proposed is there is a number of people who have expressed interest in playing without bot armies or people who mass instance the game on the same PC, so that they might try and relive the social aspect of the game.

There are a number of donkeys that have suggested ways to get around the rules of the new server for no other reason but to say they can I suppose.

To answer OP
    Bottom line is if you play 1 account the new server should have far fewer bot/box armies in it. With a little luck the ones that find clever ways around it will get a nice little life time bans on every account used.

Another nice option for the OP is just play on a live server free to see if they still like the game... Vox comes to mind.