New Player Mangler Tips

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by SirKenshin, Sep 26, 2019.

1. SirKenshin New Member

I started playing on Mangler last week trying out different classes (warrior, enchanter and wizard) and seem to have issues finding a group to go with around level 7. At this level the starting area offers a combination of nothing to a pitiful amount of xp per kill. When I try to solo higher level stuff I get killed since I do not have any twink items. I've tried to find folks in Greater Faydark and Crushbone but there has been no signs of an active group. Since I started so late on this top heavy server what are your recommendations? Thanks!
  2. Fluid Augur

Two best characters on a TLP server to start with are a Druid or Magician if you either intend to solo a lot or are forced to solo because of conditions. I say this only because they are the two character types that are the least equipment dependent.

This is not to say they are the best long term or in a group or desirable, just that they function well to get a leg up. Druids don't get strong until level 10 when they get SoW and Stinging Swarm. Magicians out of the box are pretty tough right from the start because they get good pets. There are other characters that are pretty strong out of the box, like a Dark Elf Necromancer. Problem is they are unpopular with the NPCs so limited in where they can sell and train: Just not worth it to me to suffer the penalties.

One of the variations I use is start a Magician and buy them a buy them a large sewing kit ASAP. Train to max in Tailoring with your guild master. Buy a pocket full of patterns like gloves or sleeves or whatever is available on your local vendor. Hunt mostly stuff that drops ruined hides and convert them to armor because you will get a little more pp then just selling the hides. If you find any hides on vendors, buy them and convert them too as there is a little profit to be made.

By level 8ish I start equipping my pets with armor I tailor. You don't have to give them summoned weapons but I do just for the heck of it. You should be able to start banging Wisp about level 8 so I hit them pretty hard for pp all the way to level 12ish. Essentially you should have all the pp you need to buy equipment for your 'Main' or you can just keep banking loot and leveling the Magician.

A Druid doesn't really come alive until level 10. At level 10 a Druid is one of the best killers of MOBs in the game if they are in the right zones. East Karanas was made for Druids, easy to hunt Spider Silks and Giant Snake Fangs. They are also pretty good at killing Wisps, they just can't sustain the damage output of a Magician with pet.

Best and I do mean absolute best is getting your pet twinked by a high level Magician. Full summoned armor, weapons<mainly Fist of Ixiblat at level 10+ pet>, and jewelry. It works for all pet classes so even your Enchanter would be pretty viable if their pet is so equipped.
  3. SirKenshin New Member

Awesome I'll try the magician with tailoring and the druid to see which suits me. Will it be worthwhile starting a necromancer that is not a dark elf?
  4. SirKenshin New Member

I got a gnome magician to 7 on Mangler and love how well it solos and soon I should be able to find groups. I can not believe how much better this class does with soloing levels 7-9 characters compared to the wizard. Thanks for the tips!
  5. Fluid Augur

I just noticed something akin to a mistake. I mentioned Fist of Ixiblat *BUT* I think they are a level 62 spell and the max on Mangler at the moment is level 60. The rest of the stuff still applies.

I think all the newbie armor quest are available on Mangler and relevant. They are a bit slow to complete and can be skipped if you are going to get into groups/guilds. In my experience people in Unrest will consider you 'group worthy' at ~level 12. Much of the excitement of Mangler seems to have died down. I logged on to it yesterday and participation seemed down compared to launch but still the best bet in town for finding other players to group with at lower levels.

You will learn a couple of tricks soloing with a Magician like engaging a MOB at distance with bolt spells and backing up during the spell cool down to create a bit more distance between you and the MOB. You send the pet in as the MOB advances and continue casting bolt spells. You can usually get off two to three spells before the MOB closes with your pet hitting it from behind. Sometimes it is possible to kill a MOB while taking no damage to your character or pet.

Couple of more levels and you will be Wisp ready. :) I don't always go that route, sometimes I just level in favorite spots. Travel is still tough on Mangler and there is nothing wrong with the Gnome newbie area and just going to Crushbone or Unrest when the time is right. My personal favorite leveling area for 8-20 is kind of a lonely, boring, place.

Anyway, I highly recommend you do Najena when the time is right, at least level 16 IIRC. The drops there are used for Pet Focus items that are good for something like level 10-49. It is a pretty good spot for leveling too, just not a lot of groups. Mostly I see level 50+ characters going in there and crushing MOBs to twink their alternates. Which brings me to, if you want to share your character's name I will look them up when I log in there. I got burnt out on TLP so I don't have any advanced characters there, just 20s I think. That would still be high enough to maybe cast a buff your way if I catch you online.
  6. Miso New Member

Hi, I play a Mag on Mangler as well.
    I currently stopped leveling @ 32 and now I'm just killing grays, saving up plat until the Luclin expac opens for the Bazaar feature. (I hate standing around EC tunnel looking to buy gear... just a waste of time =P)

Leveling wise...
    Since my mage is an Dark Elf, she first started out soloing in Nektulos forest until around 5,6 ish, then to North Ro , then around 11ish, headed to the South Ro Crocs, soloing the non-social crocs until around 19ish.

Warning: If you're a Dark Elf, you DON'T want to hunt in Crushbone, because it will kill your faction in your own town (the Indigo Brotherhood which is basically all the guards in Neriak), and you'll end up KoS in Neriak ... LOL.
    One of my former guild members learned the hard way, which resulted in deleting that character.

Now that Kunark expac is open, at 19, you can head to Timorous Deep buy using the Translocator at the docks in South Ro.
    In Timourous deep, you can go kill the pirate skellies (forgot their exact name) until around 27ish when they all turn green.
    At 19, these skellies might be a bit hard, especially if the spawn is double or triple spawn to break, so look around for single spawns.
    The skellies here drop decent plat as well as stackable Rum that vendos for 3.9 plat each, as well as earring that sell for 5.9 plat a piece. They also drop a lot of Large size Leather armor, but I tend to leave them on the corpse since they're quite heavy.
  7. SirKenshin New Member

Got my Mage (Darvie) to 15 and my Druid (Sharlem) to 27. I noticed that it can be difficult getting into a group with a Druid in the late 20's. I tried going into the common camp spots in Unrest (fireplace and basement) or the first floor of Frozen Tower but no one was allowing me into the group. I guess I'll have to figure out good solo spots when I am unable to find a group and learn how to solo without dying!
  8. Fluid Augur

With a Druid at 27, you don't need a group. :) Congrats on leveling that quickly and successfully. I would tell you what a Druid at that level is capable of killing, but the developers have a tendency to read the forums and class jealousy is rampant.

You should pretty much have all the money in the world, if not now within a few nights of killing. I think my Druid + Magician on Agnarr had 4k-7k in the first month of the shard opening at those levels. That is more then enough cash to twink the heck out of your main if you decide to start running your Enchanter again for instance. Items like http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2332 sell for maybe 150pp. You will either have the silk, the cash, or the ability to get them to do a full set of raw silk armor. Ditto for the tailoring skill to outfit your pet in a full set of tattered. If you want to run a Ranger, a good bow will sell for ~400pp and I think Barbed Armor<???> is available at a reasonable price. I think I bought a full set of Banded Armor for my Bard @80pp.

It takes some nuts to get it going, start your own group if you want to experience group play. You really have to be proactive to make it happen. There are probably still dozens of people that would like to group with you at those levels. I'm terribly biased/in a rut, South Karana and Split Paw would be good for solo leveling if you don't just want to start/continue cashing up. Track & kill Aviaks that are blue to red. Advertise in chat you are starting a Paw group. There's other dungeons that are good at those levels, like Mistmore, it's just that I am more familiar with Paw.

All the stuff that made starting other characters tough with a lack of equipment is behind you now. Personally I would get the Magician up to level 20 and continue leveling the Druid a bit. If you enjoy playing them, you won't have problems until post level 50. You really need a guild or good connections to get farther w/o pain at those levels. You can't solo the MOBs needed for Magician focus items at the higher levels.