New Player help

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by kalstark, Oct 24, 2012.

1. kalstark New Member

hey guys, ive only played EQ on the ps2 but never got far in it but still enjoyed it. im thinking about playing eq now and was wondering how the game is doing. are people still playing this? what would be the most populated server? and the reason why i wanna play is for more of a difficulty and just interesting quests that make me wanna log in and not just to grind to max level. also would eq2 be better? i dont care about the graphics just looking for a old school mmo with a good community. thanks guys
  2. Borek-VS Augur

I think choosing between EQ and EQ2 is a matter of personal preference, as they play different. EQ2 is more WoW-like and EQ is more old school. Having said that, EQ is more grind oriented, but still has a good range of quests - take a look at the Hero's Journey information on Allakhazam, for example. You should certainly try EQ, just to find out if you like it better.

Vox is reputed to be a good server to start on, as it is relatively new and therefore has a broader spread of character levels.
  3. Nolrog Augur

Both games are free to play. Try them both out and see which you like better.
  4. PetMyLlama Journeyman

They are very different games. Both games offers a staggering amount of content and you wont get bored. In fact, many people get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things to accomplish. Both can be fun, but I think EQ1 the fun is more in exploring for yourself and discovery vs. EQ2 which is more theme-parked.

Just a few of my personal opinions are that EQ2 classes are very diluted and picking just about any class feels the same with some minor variations on how thy accomplish tasks. EQ1 classes are all different with very distinct flavors of play. Combat in EQ2 feels quicker than EQ1 due to the amount of abilities that can be used (literally 3+ action bars of buttons to press nearly every fight). AAs in EQ1 are far superior to AA in EQ2. In EQ2 AA really just feels more like extra levels to grind out in order to make your character competitive. I see comments all over gaming boards that refer to EQ1 AA system as one they would like to see duplicated in other games.

You mention wanting some degree of difficulty. EQ2 is easy-mode compared to EQ1. You wont find much difficulty there. Quests are handed to you like WOW with each quest giver clearly outlined on your maps, compared to EQ1 where you have to hail each NPC to see if they have a job for you.

EQ1 is an old game and it shows in the UI, the graphics, and the animations. EQ2 can look fantastic on beefy systems with graphics turned way up. Though EQ2 models seem to have a love/hate relationship with the players.

As Nolrog said - they are both free, so try them both. Keep in mind though that the early levels of EQ1 can feel rough as you have to rely on auto-attack mostly and in EQ2 you progress the first few levels VERY quickly and have more abilities to work with. The early levels do not feel like a chore.
  5. Draconic Journeyman

Hello Kalstark,

Like others have said both offer great content and your probably enjoy either one. If you do decide to play EQ i hope you will check us out over on Trakanon. Progression X is a casual raiding guild working our way through each expansion. We are currently in Planes of Power (5th-7th expansion as we are allowing LDoN and LoY zones) and are level capped at 65.

Great way to jump in, not be so over whelmed and have some friends to group with!

For more information PM me here, visit our site (click in siggy) or /tell Draconic, Burp, Nemo, Raynard in game.

P.S.

As both games are F2P you can also download both and try them out and see which one fits your play style better!