New Pick Thresholds Work

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Accipiter, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Galleyan Augur

I like to hear that. I still think they should lower the limit required to maintain a pick... Kicking out a full group into a full base pick is just begging for more Ragefire pre-pick wild wild west nonsense that made NO ONE happy except the trolls. (and no, not to 1 person. Full group minimum, if not full group +1 or something)
  2. Kiani Augur

I agree it's a bit of a nuisance if you're in a good group, minding your own business in a good camp, and your pick locks, so you have to go back to base pick and find a new camp.

But then, if you were in a single group with a locked BoT pick all to yourselves, you could be roaming around killing all the bosses without anyone else to compete with, and I don't think that's right either.

I agree that the thresholds for creating new picks do seem to be about right for now.
  3. Renshu Augur

I respectfully disagree. A decent head shot gate group can pull gate, both cubbies, ECY, often more. An ideal HS group (tank, 4 rangers, puller, oog healer) with a good puller can do the whole zone. Also, you have the hordes of solo/duo rangers that can take a single camp themselves. I can duo the gate camp with my ranger/shaman and still be looking for a few mobs. This is a special case situation and probably shouldn't factor into the formula, but it is a reality. Post HS, GE was crowded in nearly every pick before any of the pick changes, it was unplayable after the pick nerf, and is still very crowded now. Things have improved dramatically after the most recent changes and the pick changes are very welcome. HS and GE are a min/max and there never seems to be enough mobs.
  4. Draekon Elder

Still broke I think. Thought was 1/3rd the threshold to keep a pick open or it closes. Not sure what it is in sebilis to pop a pick now, but used to be about 41-42, which is 13-14 people at 1/3rd. Anywho in sebilis there was 12 people in pick 1, and then 17 in base. Just watched the pick get closed, my group got kicked to character select (thought went to base?).

So since they lowered thresholds, 1/3rd should be less than 13-14 right, and it's a combination of base + pick 1 according to previous posts, so with 29 people combined, how does the pick close?

Now with 30 people pick opened again, rofl. wtf. so 1/3rd of 30 is 10 people, pick shouldnt have closed.
  5. Astley Augur

Pick closed at 29.... Pick re-opened at 30...

Pretty sure they made the level to open a pick at 30, so... 5 full groups to make 1 pick. and less than that they'll close the pick.

Don't believe they said anything about 1/3rd, or specific numbers. They said they lowered zones by different amounts, not all of them have the same, but that they based it off mob population in the zone to help keep an even balance of how many people the zone could support.
  6. Kiani Augur

If the people in a pick that locks go to the main pick, and that's enough to open a new pick (or reopen the locked one), that's daft and needs to be fixed!
    Galleyan likes this.
  7. Draekon Elder

Yeah I dont think it's working and taking into account both base and pick at the same time. I read the 1/3rd thing somewhere from one of the dev's in earlier threads, along with the "sum of base pick + pick 1" to determine threshold.
  8. Auedar Elder

From what I've seen in fire and from what you guys are saying, it looks like to spawn another pick in these zones, it takes about 30 people. IF the number from BOTH picks drops below the 30 people threshold (on the rationalization that 1 pick can support 30 people, and if you have less than 30 people you should only have 1 pick.), then it looks like it locks the pick, and gives you 15 minutes to leave.

Let's be real, if you can get 15 people per pick and keep 2 picks open, that isn't that high of a bar to ask for. That is less than 3 groups total per zone. The problem seems to be occurring when the population hovers up and down from that zones designated number (they didn't give hard numbers for each zone, but it's easy to experiment with).

Yes, it's annoying, but at the same time, if they explained how these mechanics exactly work, there would be plenty of options in order to stop these things from happening. For instance, it wouldn't be hard to make sure you need to invite someone else into your group and have them in the zone before the next person leaves, or to make sure to park an alt on a secondary account in the zone (main pick or otherwise) to boost your numbers. Because if x person leaves and drops the combined picks number below 30, they are over 30 other people and it would be a total move, and if most people understood these mechanics we could find ways to manage it better versus complain that the mechanics don't make sense.

The mechanics DO make sense. If you go with the rational that a given zone can hold 30 people, you don't need 2 versions of the zone to hold 29 (it is now a waste of resources). You can point out specific zones and group comps (GE with 6 rangers and oog tanks/heals? really? or PoFire with 4 ench charm pets can take half of the zone with 2 oog pullers/cleric) that lower that number, but 30 is a solid number considering on the low ends which most zones will be in, you are putting 3 groups per pick in.

TLDR: If you need x number in BOTH picks to keep both of them open, plan accordingly.