New Naming Policy: Names with 4 Consonants in a Row are Not Allowed?!?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brontus, Mar 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Hail and well met people of Norrath!

On Monday of this week, I decided to create a character on the new Mangler server. The name I chose for my enchanter was a name I've used for years in EverQuest and I have the exact same character name on Agnarr server.

Yet when I submitted my name I got the following warning:

There is nothing wrong with my name. It does not violate the official naming policy and is entirely benign. For some reason, someone at Daybreak Games decided to implement this policy over the weekend because there are numerous player names with 4 consonants in a row and I even saw one with 7 in a row. All of the names I saw were entirely legitimate and in accordance with the rules and felt perfect for a high fantasy environment. I could provide them to you but in interests of privacy, I will refrain.

According to a popular website that deals with words, there are approximately 6,463 words in the English language that have 4 consonants in a row. Many of these names are innocuous and benign and would be acceptable for player names in EverQuest but now according to the rules are unacceptable.

I urge everyone to visit this site to see for yourself:

http://www.yougowords.com/4-consonants-in-a-row

Simple names like Brownstone, Blackstone, Johnstone -- just to name a few have 4 consonants in a row and are now impossible have as character names in EQ.

I urge the DBG devs, to reconsider this new policy and revert the naming policy back to the way it was before this change was introduced. Thank you for your consideration on this matter.
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Machentoo Augur

I join in solidarity with this request. This is a groundbreaking, unnecessary change. Daybreak's position here is lacking in strength. Everything that is legitimate in English should be allowed, even words with two consanants at the end of the first syllable and two more consonants at the start of the second syllable. (What do you bet their policy doesn't distinguish between "y" used as a vowel or consonant?) This is something like the twelfth iteration of a naming policy, and it keeps getting progressively worse. Please end this naming policy apocalypse, revise your system, and allow the OP to move past this nightmare.

Seriously, four letter consonant words are everywhere and this is a stupid restriction.
    Hateseeker likes this.
  3. niente Developer

The 4 consonants rule has been in place since 2007 (possibly earlier). It was recently "fixed" to also apply to the first letter (i.e. Aaaba and Cdfge were previously allowed as the first letter didn't count as part of the consecutive count).

The only recent change was to display more information on why your name was rejected (instead of just saying the name was denied).
    klanderso likes this.
  4. Gingyr Elder

To quote the OP.....The name I chose for my enchanter was a name I've used for years in EverQuest and I have the exact same character name on Agnarr server.

That doesn't reconcile with the above explanation.
  5. Hateseeker Augur

Somehow there's gotta be a catchphrase we can make out of all this. Standing in solidarity against unnecessary and backward rulings
  6. niente Developer

My suggestion is to make a request to change this policy on the DGC Issue Tracker. Get some people to vote for it. If design approves the change, I can ask if we should use code time to extend it (i.e. 5 consonants). The consonant rule is EQ's method of preventing *some* total garbage names (like Asdgfdgfdgsf). Nonetheless players find other ways to create garbage names.
    PaulKing, snailish and Atabishii like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.