New Monk Question [live]

Discussion in 'Melee' started by deesnomed, Mar 7, 2017.

1. deesnomed New Member

Another question about H2H vs * -- (I'm on live)

I'm returning after a long break. I'm finding a ton of conflicting information about just using fists vs using defiant gear (which is all that's accessible to me while leveling). I'm currently 51 and having 0 issues with a tank merc, but I'm wondering if I'm short changing myself by only using fists. I can't find an up to date damage/delay chart for H2H and I guess that's where my trouble lies.

For example, I've read that at 50, fists are 20 damage/26 delay. Does that mean that an item with say 9 damage/24 delay with a 12 dmg bonus is better? Or does the damage bonus not calculate into that somehow?

Where does 2HB weigh in? All of the posts I can find either reference TLP or are several, several years old.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

edit: I realize while leveling, gear min/maxing is not important. But I would like the fundamental understanding to figure out if I should be leveling my 1HB/2HB prior to the tapering off of XP when my merc slows down in a few levels.
  2. Fohpo Augur

Not 100% but it sounds as though they are pretty close and you'll level out of the probably relatively quick. Just keep going until you get to a point where weapons out scale for sure and go from there. Small suggestion: equip a 1hb and level that up in at least one slot.
    deesnomed likes this.
  3. Thrillho Augur

This is purely anecdotal, based on my own experience.

Fists are OK to use 'til 50-60ish. Around then, you'll find that mobs are going to take a lot longer to kill, which means your tank merc is going to take a lot more damage, and you'll have to switch to a healer merc sooner. I was fortunate enough for someone to tradeskill me a couple of weapons which were considerably better than fists. Unfortunately, I don't know what the stats on fists are. However, plenty of weapons have additional stats (atk, AC, HP, endurance) which is going to play a role in your combat.

The easiest way for you to tell if one thing is better than the other is to do a parse. Check out GamParse and set that up. Try to find a guild hall that has a combat dummy and do an auto-attack-only for about 10 minutes with your fists, then do the same with a weapon change. Ideally, the longer a parse the more accurate you're going to get, but 10 minutes should give you an idea of which is better or worse.

As for your other skills - 1hb, 2hb - they can level up quickly. If you're really concerned about it, you can just go fight a healer merc in the arena. 2hb starts weighing in more when you get more AAs for it. You shouldn't be working on any AAs at the moment though, as the auto-grant is going to keep you ahead of the game.

What're the odds you have a haste belt? Talk to Teek in PoK and run some of the dailies from him - the armor from them is level appropriate, and one of them is a haste belt.
    deesnomed likes this.
  4. deesnomed New Member

My skills are pretty close to being maxed. Netflix and autoattack is working well for me.

Good call on the parse. Didn't realize that was an option. I've got enough cash to hold me over for a while from some buddies who still play, but I don't really see a ton of weapon options (probably in part because I don't know what outweighs what) in the bazaar. I do not have a haste belt, but I do have a Cloak of Crystalline Waters. I should probably look into haste caps and such if I'm going to stack haste gear.

Appreciate the answers and I'm glad there's no clear cut answer to X is better than Y for you. Makes me think that I haven't been making it harder on myself. We'll see after the parses though.

Thank you again for the replies!
  5. Brohg Augur

no stacking. best one works.
    deesnomed likes this.
  6. deesnomed New Member

Sounds good. Thanks for saving me the time on that. Are the monk epics worth investing the time to do? Presumably I would complete them solo when the level permits. I don't know how much of an impact defiant gear has for the 1.0 at my current level (56).
  7. Thrillho Augur

The 2.0 is good. It'll increase your HP a lot (~33k for me, atm), and give you additional chances to stun. You can skip the 1.0 by doing the 1.5 prequest, then the 1.5, then the 2.0. No need to do the 2.5 or "3.0" (RoF one).
  8. Minato Augur

Later in levels when you get proc belts there is a proc called boon of the seeress that procs when your 2.0 stun/dmg does also unless memory misleads me