New linear item progression

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Wgrace45, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Wgrace45 New Member

So... Is this referring only to the items found in the Rain of Fear expansion, or have they added an item-wise algorithm to the entire games loot table to allow old world items to scale to your tier?

Personally I stopped being interested in EQ when defiant gear ruined the entire level 1 - 75 game, if they added an item scaling feature to old world stuff though - allowing me to actually enjoy farming gear and named at low levels, I think I'd love to play again.

Please anyone with experience in the new expansion reply. Thank you.
  2. Lighteningrod Augur

You lost interest in EQ because global dropped powerful gear ruined the game, but think you would love to play again if you could farm global dropped powerful gear?

What?
    Zaray, Duder, Yther and 2 others like this.
  3. Wgrace45 New Member

Not a useful reply.

Defiant gear drops virtually everywhere, from regular mobs and named alike, which removes any incentive one might have had to hunt down named mobs and dungeon crawl through old world zones, with the release of defiant - the only thing that makes sense any more is just leveling up as fast as you possibly can, its hard to enjoy older content because none of it (or 99% of it) is NOT rewarding, thanks to defiant gear.

If you could hunt the same way you used to before defiant, and actually feel good about getting a drop from emperor crush, or something like that, instead of saying "oh, a piece of trash that is literally 8x worse than an equal level defiant gear" - the game would be a lot more fun.

I don't know how to explain it any better than that, if you still don't understand - sorry. If you don't agree with my view, well, move on.
    Vumad and Draxx like this.
  4. Wgrace45 New Member

5. Crystilla Augur

Short answer if I understand your question = no. The game drops what it drops, there is no auto scaling.

However, while you think it's straightforward, 2 folks at least have confusion. I can't tell if you're asking for a low level character to have something better than defiant drop off the named mobs (so defiant isn't the best piece) or have something worse drop off the mobs.

Some of the confusion comes in because you sound like you're looking more for the original progression focus (not auto scaling). To which case there are plenty of progression guilds that don't allow players to use the defiant so the existing of it doesn't deter them from enjoying and liking what drop they do get that is era specific.
    Yther likes this.
  6. Wgrace45 New Member

I'm just asking someone to explain if the "new linear item progression" in the features list for rain of fear is only for rain of fear items or all items, thats all.
  7. Yther Augur

RoF armor progression only.

EDIT: And have to agree, your first post was mixing several things together, making it hard to understand exactly what you wanted.

Yther Ore.
  8. Wgrace45 New Member

Fair enough, thanks for ACTUAL responses.
    Fhiele likes this.
  9. Silv Augur

You lost all credibility on getting "ACTUAL RESPONSES" when you went into a tirade about defiant gear.

As stated by Yther- only in RoF and even with that... it's hard to see anything linear when you only have two points so we have to assume they will continue the trend.

I also think you need to learn what "linear progression" means. If you plot the level of defiant gear vs. AC corresponding to each piece and analyze it with a linear regression, you get an r-squared value of .987. If you have no clue about statistics that basically says YES it is completely linear with 99% certainty. If you want to check that I used plate breastplates from Lv 10 - 70.

You obviously want to come back need some rationalization to do so. The game is still fun. Don't use defiant if you don't want to. Problem solved.
    Yther, Fenthen, Fhiele and 1 other person like this.
  10. Wgrace45 New Member

I read the first sentence and stopped. Don't care. Enjoy your game-time.
  11. beryon Augur

...Was it really that complicated a question? OP, there's no scaling algorithm. "Linear progression" means that the RoF visible armor won't lose any stats when you upgrade it to the next tier. (This sounds like a no-brainer, but losing certain stats with upgrades was common in previous expansions.)

As for the Defiant thing, it's true that Defiant drops will usually overshadow normal drops at the low end, but:
    a ) Due to the random drop nature, you don't always have Defiant available for every slot
    b ) With the Hero's journey achievements, you get Defiant gear rewards for doing appropriate level quests
    Skuz and Duder like this.
  12. Wgrace45 New Member

Thank you.

PS: The reason I thought they may have done some sort of game-wide item update is because I played EQ2 a lot more than EQ, and they actually did that in EQ2. I don't know what kind of programming they used but they actually made a sweeping, all-encompassing change to all gear in the game, all the way back down to the lowest level stuff, so I figure its not that much of a stretch to think they may have done something similar in EQ.
  13. Lighteningrod Augur

They did that in EQ 1 also. It's called Defiant.
    Genoane likes this.
  14. Wgrace45 New Member

.. No.
  15. Silv Augur

Don't quote me if you didn't read it then.

Enjoy your game time.
    Ulain and Vouivre like this.
  16. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

Wgrace45. Please don't waste your time arguing with people who are waiting to slam someone/anyone. Notice they all have the same spirit. Just ignore them and wait for a normal person to respond. Normal people aren't going to assault your credibility or try to slander your character because you asked a question. I don't know what they are so angry about but it doesn't have anything to do with you.
    Draxx and Raptorjesus5 like this.
  17. Vouivre Augur

And yet you responded showing you do in fact care. Nice try though.
    Tegila and Fenthen like this.
  18. Vouivre Augur

I think you need to spend some time learning what slamming someone is. Much of the responses began with confusion of the issue because of poor representation. You understand this is a public message board where people share their ideas, opinions, and feelings about things yes? If you want only people who agree with you to respond, then you need to look somewhere besides a public board.

Replying to posts you don't like trying to appear above it all while doing the exact thing you claim about is stupid and a joke.
  19. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

Ouch. You slammed me for that post. Maybe you think I have no credibility.
    Draxx and Raptorjesus5 like this.
  20. Vouivre Augur

Normal people don't pretend to be martyrs all the time. Normal people don't take offense at everything that is written if it isn't the exact answer they were looking for. Normal people don't reply to things with responses like "Beneath my notice" which is specifically posted to try and get people upset especially because they were quoted, and then act like a victim. It is something no intelligent person could do unless they were purposely trying to instigate.

It had nothing to do with slamming you, it had to do with other aspects of the thread. You don't have to agree with other people's opinions, but to sit there and act above it all while doing the exact same thing is pretty silly.