New Instanced Zones Thread

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Banuvan, May 28, 2015.

1. Shemak Journeyman

lol yeah, thing is tho btw loots are still contested, just less so. With all this crap we dont even get to discuss real issues that can result from instancing, there is some legimate concerns imo :

- no common /ooc chat makes it harder to form group, as the healer you may look for is maybe lfg in another instance
    - it could end with everyone going to the same dungeons while the other gets deserted
    - they need to start working on a way to instance group content in raid zone
    - and im sure many other thing.

We could discuss ways to tweak the system, maybe more people needed to pop a new instance, or less depending on zone, adding a global zone channel for lfg, maybe add a max number of instances for 1 zone etc
  2. Shemak Journeyman

I mean being by this is in a way like people back in the days being against opening new server because that would mean less competiton on their server.
  3. Tamagini New Member

Last night I had a great experience because of the instancing. I actually got to kill stuff because I was able to take my group to another instance instead of giving up and being frustrated.

This is great for leveling up but I still think that the raid zones are the most important to instance and they should have just done it in this first pass. In a month very few players will care about the mid level dungeons, they're all going to be waiting for that Lord Nagafen spawn.

This is basically a lot better than making more servers and merging them as it accomplishes the same thing but on a zone by zone basis and without all the hassle.
    SuedeVeil and Jaxarale01 like this.
  4. Jaxarale01 Augur

How dare you have fun!! You actually got to group? What is this nonsense???
    I am going to have to /report you for having fun!!!

This has got to stop or DB may make some money and do another TLP in the future...

#dirtylittlefunhaver
    MaestroM likes this.
  5. Ishvah Elder

Cazic-Thule, Unrest and Mistmoor Castle are all instanced now too
  6. Ishvah Elder

You do realize if you type /lfg it opens a window on the bottom right it says to find players, just make your own group, i havent ran out of players to invite yet so im sure you havent. I can't believe you guys are really complaining about the instances im enjoying them
  7. MBear Augur

Make sure you account for the multiple zone instances open 24/7 that the population does not support during off hours. Hopefully they fix this with some collapse criteria but until then, math needs to account for it. (Not saying it isn't)
  8. The Badger Lord Augur

5 instances of guk have been open since pickzone, therefore 150/5= 30 people in guk, which is very classic. I have not seen 150 people in guk before pickzone. There were barely over 70 one time, and that's it.

However I did see only 10-15 players in each of 5 instances of Guk, which have been perma opened since pickzoned started.

Pick zoning was designed to alleviate peak hour crowding, however, the instances have not gone away when peak hours are over. A solution to solve a peak hour problem should not be applied 24 7.

The developers also stated they would not be instancing high level content period before the vote for max nostalgia even took place, which means when people voted for max nostalgia, they did so with a firm developer statement saying something almost exactly like "instancing is not what we feel is a classic experience". People knew end game everquest had a bottleneck, yet they voted for it, (knowing or not) the devs had stated "no instancing." So surely people must be held accountable for their votes. Should we suddenly change the law that was voted into effect because all of the people who voted for it realized it did suck after all? I wrote a big forum on the problems of classic alone for 6 months, and I said multiple times this would be a max population server long before it opened.

When developers again first introduced the idea of instancing the newb zones, they firmly stated something very similar to "We would never instance zones with important gear".

On two separate occasions (multiple statements) were made saying they would not do this, and each time they stated because they believed it was not classic and could affect the game.

They did this because they had overcrowded zones from an end game classic bottleneck, which was warned about 100x in 100 different threads. There are many other solutions to this problem, and the current pickzone implementations are not one of them.

When you have 6 months in classic, you do no need to have 5 zones of guk running. It is not classic, it does not feel classic for me to be able to pickzone a number of times to check camps. it does not feel classic if I want to find a group in guk during the morning hours I have to pickzone through 5 instances of 10-15 people because they are all in different chat channels.

instancing some content like SRO, Crushbone, Etc, and even raids was fine. instancing basically the entire world (almost every single zone) was not cool, especially after they stated a bunch of times something like that wouldn't be done becaue they didn't believe in it. I don't know why they did it to be honest, I'm not part of their team or in their heads. But they clearly were against it for a long time and suddenly out of the blue did it, which leaves me wondering why.

Instancing splits the progression audience up, some are for it, some are against it, and some are for it in moderation. This was full blown pickzoning the entire world, with pickzones that have not been closing after they open, which has permenantly created multiple instances of every zone. That's what has happened thus far, 5 guks on Ragefire the day pickzone went up and not a single one of them has gone down, that is permenant as long as there is one person in each.

There should have been a vote to ask how far instancing should have gone. Or since the players did not want to honor their vote for max nostalgia (with no instancing as the devs stated), then we should re-vote on unlock schedules.
  9. Ducreux Augur

6AM EST, 5 guks open with 20-30 people in each, very offpeak hours. Come check it out tonight from 7-11PM EST and I'm sure every instance will still be packed to the gills.

Instancing was necessary to accommodate the huge amount of players desperate for some 40-50 content, but it still needs some polishing.
  10. The Badger Lord Augur

8 am PST yesterday, there were far less than 30 in each of the 5, and less than 70 total in all 5 combined.

But yes, you are correct, it does need polishing (if not abolishing). For one, the channels all need to be linked across every instace, especially in East COmmon lands. in this way people can find a group without having to pickzone 3-5x.
    Two, pickzones in certain zones should be removed entirely : east commonlands, lower guk, castle mistmoore, and the upper tier end game zones. If not removed, they should provide at most 1 additional pickzone maximum. Three, if you zone out of an instance, you should zone back into the same exact pickzone (for a number of reasons).
    Fallfyres likes this.
  11. Ducreux Augur

That's probably to be expected during most people's work hours.
  12. RainbowTest Augur

Why do you need to pickzone and lfg, why not just use the LFG tool?
  13. Malgor New Member

You said it. Hand me my cane.
  14. Vaclav Augur

Anyone get the feeling that The Badger Lord will never find a topic to not complain loudly about? Sure the system could use some tweaking, but Christ man - with that angst level over any minor oddity you're running yourself to an early grave.

Prat already commented in very vague terms there was still work to do on Beta for him - which as a content guy, and with the Campaign likely not at a stage for him yet (plus Beta was TLP days ago for sure) - zombie instances might be what he's working on right now.

And I hope you weren't being sarcastic about 30 not being 'Classic' for LGuk (not that these are Classic servers anyhow) - because I've got folders of 16 years of screenshots of Classic across multiple servers there with few /who's over 40 - at peak hours - and generally for the one's into the 40s I was LFG at the zoneline with others in the SS (or I was grouped and could see one or two LFGs below the /who I always did for any pics that weren't a miskey - I'm awful with names, so it was my version of Facebook tagging in 99)
    Jaxarale01 likes this.
  15. SuedeVeil Lorekeeper

Just curious what high pass hold is? There was 30+ people there and no instance.. and there really isn't enough content for that many people plus the quest objectives that people camp.
  16. Vaclav Augur

Yea, Highpass seems unusually low - probably assumes people are killing all the NPCs no one bothers.
  17. Rolento Augur

I'm not sure what the thresh hold for some of the zones are, but even though i am pro instancing, i feel the thresh hold to open new ones is far to low.

If 5 lower guk instances are needed do to the demand so be it, but like some have said, when there are under 15 people in each. that can be a problem (potentially)
  18. Jaxarale01 Augur

LOL Vac... I said the same thing in a thread that is no longer able to be posted on...
    Ohhhh nooooosss its not EQ because people can actually play and not sit at zone in for 3 hours with 300 others all lfg...

The logic is astounding in this one...
  19. Vaclav Augur

There should be a better logic for "shrinking" instances but I think that'll require a bit more in depth coding when they get around to it that could cause some pretty bad issues if it's done wrong.

(Maybe something like a 1 hr warning that the instance is no longer needed for the population - and on it being shutdown it puts everyone at the safespot for the zone - but that still seems potentially problematic)