New Housing Idea

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bard to the Bone, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Bard to the Bone New Member

Devs,
    Any way we can get zones that already exist in the game as homes for our neighborhood?

More specifically, I would be willing to pay DB cash for a Mistmoore LDoN crypt that I can use as my home in our guild neighborhood. It's the perfect home for my DEF SK. Even if you shut off access to half of the tunnels it would still be cool.

The Everfrost LDoN (Miraguls) zones could make for interesting homes as well and I am sure there are a few other zones that could be easily adapted into homes. Unrest would be a great one, House of Thule, High Keep, Temple of Sol Ro, Stillmoon, Befallen, Wedding chapels, and plenty more with all of the minor instances or raid instances that are small.

I would bet you guys could come up with a dozen or so to choose from - hoping it would not be that difficult or taxing on the server.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Very likely
  3. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

But lets keep coming out with new illusions and mounts just saying.

Andarriel
    Fenthen likes this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd rather they didn't mess around with housing, items go missing far to often as it is. :mad:
  5. Tsolaes Elder

Housing is Dead! :(
  6. Luithien New Member

Not to me! Still one of my favorite things to head home aftera long day of adventuring, pour a cold one and put my feet up before the fire!

Luithien
  7. Hayzeus Augur

The problem is that, to the developers, housing is dead. I'm sure thousands of players, like you, still believe that housing is alive because you all still able to use your housing. None of that matters.

The developers will not be developing anything more for housing. It is dead. Literally, the only way you will ever see anything new for housing is if the next expansion is labelled Housing of Norrath.

It is dead in their eyes, which means it will continue to slowly degrade until the last toon turns out the lights on the way out the door.
    Yinla and Fenthen like this.
  8. Fenthen aka Rath

Except for the $90 expansions selling a picture to hang up in your house / guild hall, or the expansion placed clicky that we all love to use.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

How do you know this? I have not seen any dev comment and its going strong in EQ2
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Housing would be more popular if it weren't for the upkeep.

New player does PoK tutorial quest and gets a house, buys a plot and.. platsink.

Of the literally hundreds of new players i have directed toward Secalna Galnor, roughly 80% say "I can't afford the upkeep"

As a player who has played EQ since beta, I can tell you, having housing, guild halls and all the lore items in them bounce back to inventory because I was playing on TLPs is. daunting.

Being allowed to own 2 house per character, but only being allowed one crate of eviction because they're LORE is stupid. I can't pick up one until I place the other, but the other one is the one with the house in it.

Housing would be MUCH more popular if the nagging plat upkeep was removed entirely (and buying things from merchants is a better plat sink anyway.)
    Minbas and Fenthen like this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

EQ2 has a far better housing system. Where as EQ1 is constantly losing items. :rolleyes:

Housing is like many other things in EQ they add them and don't carry on with them, like shrouds, talking items, etc.
    MasterMagnus and Fenthen like this.
  12. Nadisia Augur

For sure, I do agree.
    And in my case, not because it's expensive, but mainly because I'm a goldfish, and always forget to refill the piggy bank. :oops:

Buy it ONCE for good would be better in the long run.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There is no plat sink.

Houses from Loyalty Vendors do not charge rent.

Only the plot charges rent. You can pay it in dubloons, chronobines and many other unused currency. You can get this currency thru your alt currency tab or thru loyalty merchant (if paid account) where you can buy bags of dubloons etc. For like 11 loyalty tokens.

There is no limit on the amount of houses you can own. The limit is on the plots. You can own 3 of those. The cheapest is 21 plat to buy and 8 plat for upkeep. That is less than 3000 plat if you go that way. If you pay with dubloons its like 1000 or something. For a year. And I pay almost 15 plots this way. Yearly. Then they send me rent is due notices! Whew thats a lot of mail lol

If you have one of the special houses they do not charge plot rent at all. Totally free.

Like most things in Eq they only give enough information to scratch the surface and that can lead you down the wrong path but if you research a little you can find a way to tweek it.
  14. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

New players don't get loyalty and zero upkeep houses should mean ALL houses and- items on the property add to the upkeep whether the house itself has upkeep or not.

The whole thing would be simpler if the upkeep was removed. The paltry amount of platinum isn't the issue, it's how unfreindly the game is if you miss it.

On a related note, I have NEVER gotten a house or yard reload to work properly.

Load house / wrong /location /load yard, trees placed in a cluster through the middle of the house and can't select them because the house is in the way.

I've spent WAY more platinum on items to place than I have on rent. Seriously, does EQ really need that bit of plat or no deal?
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

and crates of eviction being lore is still stupid. Always has been, always will.
  16. Hayzeus Augur

Hey, I get it. You like your housing. Me too. I really like my three plots of land with their houses on them. I've spent 100s of hours setting up everything just so. All three of my plots have been at maximum capacity for 5+ years now.

Same with our guild hall. I really like my guild plot with the Castle I've built. Just like Tinky Winy - it's all full up. I even have a gnome execution going on in the castle's yard (with witnesses to verify the little dude gets beheaded properly). I've built a huge skywalk that provides walkways up into the skies. Like many others, I've been begging for 5+ years for the developers to look at the housing system with an eye to revamp it for better capacity...etc... I've seen more than enough negative replies from developers talking about housing to know that they either do NOT have resources to fix anything in these zones or they simply just lack the will to do so. They will not ever have those resources. Housing is DEAD in their eyes.

It's unclear to me how YOU can look at the current state of housing with any kind of belief that the devs give a cats paw about it. Literally, they've even dropped the expansion mainstay of offering houses with the deluxe version... wait... was the pirate ship the last house? What was that... three or four expansions ago? Since then, based on another previous response... it's a painting now? Hahaha... I couldn't add a new painting if I wanted to because the plots are all full. So, I guess I could take down the painting from last expansion and put up the painting from this expansion. Boy - that sounds like a fun hamster wheel.

Fortunately, I don't care enough to try to convince you. If you can't see that housing is dead to the developers, that's awesome for you. I wish I could pretend like that.
  17. Hayzeus Augur

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/spell-research-table.266096/#post-3910057
    Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that housing is top of any developer's mind.

It's not as if I haven't tried. Many years ago, I had a thread on the EQ Issues Tracker site that had significant upvotes attached to it. Two different developers (or whoever the "officials" from that site were - if not developers) highlighted and propped up the tracker.

Then, one last developer came to the thread and pooped in it by saying that it was too much work to fix the underlying code. They closed the ticket, and it's done.

Housing is dead. They won't admit it because they want you spending $90 on paintings, but housing is dead. We, the people, will continue to find many ways to still utilize housing for our own individual play styles, but to the developers - it's dead.
  18. Zunnoab Augur

Square Enix claims a housing system like EQ uses is too taxing on servers for Final Fantasy XIV (which I find dubious since the game's neighborhood system is virtually the same other than that, other than fixed numbers of neighborhoods per server). If SE says that, there's no way this idea is realistic for EQ.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  19. Tsolaes Elder

All great points of discussion on the Housing! I discuss a lot of these problems in my "Is Housing Dead?" 4-part video. I think the majority here agree it certainly is a forgotten feature to the devs. The fact that you can slap down a special rent-free house on a plot and leave it there forever, is just unfair and invalidates the whole rent system.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Fortnite has Creative mode with 4 maybe even 6 (I can't remember now) islands you can build in, and it's persistent. You can add monsters and goals etc. Create mini-games. Free to play, everyone gets them.

I assume it's all about the server infrastructure you can afford. <shrug>