New Heroic Enchanter at a loss for nonperformance.

Discussion in 'Casters' started by MMORogue, Feb 12, 2019.

1. MMORogue New Member

Returning to EQ after quite some time, I played for a while and fondly recall the shift EQ gave me from the MUDs I played forever like Dragonrealms. Played EQ2 through the then current end-game with nightly raids for a long time - no desire to revisit that.

I have been playing FTP for a couple months dabbling with several different classes. I decided to subscribe and use a heroic character slot I had from I don't know where. I applied the heroic "upgrade" to my gnome enchanter.
    I have gone through multiple guides (I know some of the previously good ones are deprecated due to time and changes) and videos (the ones I could hear at least).

I feel rather inadequate playing my enchanter - most likely because I am - and could use some help identifying where I am going wrong. I was able to muddle through the JV merc quests, but it has gone poorly since then.

The pet seems pointless, it is getting one hit the moment I have it engage a rooted and debuffed mob. Charms are not holding at level for very long and melt fairly quickly only fairing slightly better than the pet. With a cleric merc, I seem to be able to rune tank single at level mobs, it takes forever and I end up with long recovery times and have to rebuff after each and every fight. Root rotting is only slightly better in that all my runes and health are not gone after the fight, but it takes ages to burn down a single mob.

I have the heroic issued gear, JV cleric merc and the following buffed / slotted.

Buffs:
    Veil of Mindshadow AA
    Shield of the Void
    Prescience
    Speed of Erradien
    Intellectual Superiority
    Umbra
    Polychaotic Rune
    Pearlescent Rune
    Dermal Brimstone
    Aegis of Xadrith
    Twincast Aura
    Mana Reiterate Aura

A video said Eldrich Rune AA but it conflicts with Pearlescent and has less absorption. I do have it keyed for after Pearlescent has been beat through.

I would love to hear what I am missing or have wrong here - but don't ask me why I have what I do as I couldn't tell you, justify or defend it.

Since of all the techniques I have tried in Feerrott, root rotting has been the least unsuccessful, this is what I have slotted for that:

Bark of Tashan
    Greater Fetter
    Mind Twist
    Polychaotic Assault
    Fragmented Consciousness
    Desolate Deeds
    Chaotic Befuddling
    Color Conflux
    Hypnotic Stare
    Memory Flux
    Hushed Mind
    Mana Reiterate

I have not investigated my clickies for buff, burn or maintenance - which may very be my problem, but I don't know if it is a small or large part. I may have falsely assumed I could function without the clickies for now and learn as bonus effectiveness later.

I usually bark, root, dot, debuff, choatic befuddle, nuke, nuke, nuke, r&r from the dot. Very slow, never done before root expires. Fortunately it rarely breaks though.

Now one of the things I hate about "moderen" games is their sprint to the current max level. No story or content to engage you at all - either end game pvp or end game raid only. I played EQ for a long time and the highest I got was a ranger and druid in the 50's. Long camps, a week going through content in each zone, so on and so forth, I griped with others about it, but we did enjoy it. I grouped a lot with people who had similar interest in the content and the pace. So I am not looking for a quick PL to 105. But would like to be able to make some progress without only 7-8 kills per hour or less, which makes getting through quests painful.

I would love to find a couple of people I could group with regularly on Bristlebane. Especially since I suspect if I figure out a way to solo passably, I will develop habits completely out of sink with group expectation. But I have not been able to find any so far interests. I prefer questing to kill grinding particularly my first time through. I find most either have gone through the content a few times and are leveling alts or never had any interest in the content anyway.

Any suggestions on how I can improve my solo game to make some progress and get some gear? At least until I find some people I can somewhat regularly group with.

Should I go with a wiz merc if I am going to root rot?

What gear should I be targeting to get first? Should I get each of the epics?

Any other backfill lower quests / named mobs I should be getting for some gear that would still benefit me currently? Or just interesting content / storyline I should visit since 2003ish.

Sorry for the ramble, I tried to reduce it to only 10% of the actual questions I have!
  2. gotwar Gotcharms

Hola,

I skimmed through a lot of your post (my apologies, time constraints + lazy, but ty for using paragraphs!), but did want to answer the questions at the bottom. I also have a few links that may be useful for your leveling process.

A couple links below. I made these videos a while ago, so there have been a couple changes (most importantly the re-use time on the Unity rune line), but this should still be helpful. They've been unlisted for a while because <reasons> but I've gone ahead and set them back to public.

Reverse charming, useful for 85-110ish solo.

Enchanter fundamentals. Useful for 1-110.

The sound quality is poor, but I hit a lot of topics that should help.

Root rotting alone is going to be painfully slow right now. Our DoTs took a *very* heavy hit last year. If you still decide that's the way you want to go, just go without a merc.

Both Enchanter epics have no practical benefit at your level. You're mainly just looking for HP/Mana upgrades anywhere you can find them. Starting to look for Heroic Agility stuff isn't a terrible idea if you plan to stick to solo.

Boots of the Mosquito/Goblin Gazughi ring if you don't have them already. Pretty much required for anything charm related (unless you want to run around with a hundred invis pots in your inventory). A Ring of Immobilization is also a required piece of Enchanter equipment. Everything else you'll see on recommended Enchanter equipment lists are generally just fluff/very minor QoL things.

House of Thule is honestly pretty neat. I also make it a point to do as much RoF stuff as I can, because the quests are fun and give decent XP for each zone's Mercenary/Partisan achievement. You can work a pretty linear progression from there based on expansion.

As an aside, I would definitely recommend you follow your plan and find a good crew of friends to group up with. It's really hard for people to turn down a good Enchanter, so make pals with folks and go to town. While it's still perfectly viable to go solo as an Enchanter, after all the nerfs in the past couple years it's painfully slow.

Good luck!
    Saer-tse-tao, Cailen and IblisTheMage like this.
  3. MMORogue New Member

The response is much appreciated. You provided a lot of useful feedback.
  4. Fanipak frootsnak New Member

Well if you're on Bristlebane then Bristlebane alliance is always looking for new folks, we're casual but helpful. If your kind of just looking to molo or do small group stuff I'm usually on when I'm not working. Hit me up on either morrighan (110 druid) Fanipak (96 monk) or Dibbon (88 paladin). Pallies and chanters play well together from what I've read.
  5. Raienya New Member

Just found this thread, and got a lot of good info from it. I have a lvl 48 Enchanter on Bertox, and have been using a merc until now. Will try doing the charm thing in CoM and see how it works.

Any pointers on what AAs to focus on once I am able to?
  6. Fluid Augur

Specific to Heroic characters, unless something has changed their gear come w/o augments.

Kind of a second step, first is getting your JV Merc which you've done or you are SOL to proceed to step 2, is to get a full set of augments. Just a guessimate, you get maybe a 30% boost in over all needed attributes like AC, HP, and stats.

IMO it will always be tough running an Enchanter solo because of how hands on and the intensive techniques used to solo are. But then that is probably why you chose the class.

I haven't done it lately and the game changes of course. Have your tried equipping your pet with toys and getting it buffed? Even the JV tank Mercs are pretty useless w/o buffs. At least with some good summoned weapons that process you should be able to get some decent DPS that will keep aggro. As I recall the summoned pet takes so much damage and do so little the MOB will eventually go after the Merc<or you!> and with the poor DPS of the pet, Merc dies before MoB gets killed. That's one of the reasons why people suggest charm is a better way to go.
  7. Scorrpio Augur

Raienya - assuming you are subbed, just turning on autogrant should get you all your AA at this point. Also give a serious thought to going heroic. Things are still moving at a fair clip where you are, but as you head to 70 and beyond, things will start getting horribly slow and frustrating. You likely will end up going heroic anyway, so might just go ahead and do it now.

Fluid: I recently ran an SK/ranger/chanter trio through Feerrott, and while for SK, all heroic augs were +30AC, and ranger +20AC, chanter augs had no AC at all, just choice between hint/hwis or +spell damage and some HP/mana. Only shield aug had 35ac. Did full Savior of Feerrott anyway since it gives enough faction to get my RkII 89-90 spells, and I found lots of dream fragments on bazaar cheap.
    Fluid likes this.