New Expansion: Claws of Veeshan

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by minimind, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Nadisia Augur

Hehe ;)
    For the emblem (the dragon head in a circle), yeah, a little bit, but circles are very commonly used for that.

Like:
    [IMG]
    But not for the typo.

And come on, it's a freaking dragon, not a tiny thundermeow !!! :D

I love cats ... but I love dragons too, maybe more.
    Back in the days, CoV was my faction choice for Velious armor.
    It was absolutely inconceivable for me to be allied with stoopid giants.
    Sissruukk likes this.
  2. Febb Augur

Thunda, thunda, thunda, thunda dragons!
  3. Bahdah Augur

4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Whoever did the claws of veeshan graphic must be a fan of thundercats. dragon in a circle and the colors scream thundercats!

Andarriel
  5. Nadisia Augur

Let's hope that the next designer of the future expansion (after CoV) won't be a M.O.T.U fan :D

I was too young when the 1st MOTU comics and TV series have been released (I wasn't even born for the first episodes) but my brother was a big fan.
    The TV animes are funny but the typography is kitsch as hell hehe ;)

By the power of Greyskull !!!

Oh, and btw, when I was talking about «typo» previously, I was talking about the typography by the way, not about of some subliminal spelling mistake : Claws of Vee Chan (who knows, maybe Jackie Chan's secret brother, or sister :p )
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

The 80's were the best!

Andarriel
    feeltheburn likes this.
  7. Nadisia Augur

For sure. (I was born in 81 hehe).
    A lot of things were really awesome : music (in many genres), tons of movies, books, comics and simply ... life.

The only tiny downsides, sometimes : clothing ... and some haircuts :D
  8. Sissruukk Rogue One

What was wrong with the clothing and haircuts? (tucks his mullet under his cap)
    Nadisia likes this.
  9. Nadisia Augur

/out of topic, and stupidly out of bounds but I can't resist hehe

Omg, the mullet haircut ...
    And this thing persisted many years, even after the decade (I remember some of my first boyfriends in the 90s).
    And it even made some comebacks.

And for us girls, well ...
    Do you remember the over inflated hairstyles?
    Check some Jennifer Batten pictures (the MJ guitarist in the 80s for the Bad tour) or Cindy Lauper.
    Or the big curly and fluffy things.
    Even the iconic Madonna was all «fluffy and curly» in the 80s.

Couple that with the 80s colors for kids clothing (pink, yellow, acid green, purple, electric blue, etc) and you were ... blind :D

Denims were cool, but some things were really horrible hehe.

Just search for «80s woman hairstyles» on your browser, or some 80s college yearbooks ...
    You'll laugh, or get a heart attack :)

Edit: Just ... some «fluffy and curly» stuff
    (and no, it's not an adorable angora rabbit, or a cute golden retriever)

[IMG]

Ok, let's do our hair ... Ignition in 3, 2, 1 ... :p
  10. Zamiam Augur

out of all the decades .. even though i was not born yet 50's was the best .. the decades ive lived thru 80's tops the charts .. then the 90's :p
    Nadisia likes this.
  11. Captain Video Augur

So one of these is Veeshan, and I'm supposed to guess? Because if it was based on an '80s do, I was going to guess Limahl.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

For toys, yes.

Other decades can't hold a candle to the over-the-top-ness, copycat-ing, and mass marketing of 80's toys.

Now, if you're talking about clothing...:eek:
  13. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Since the thread is off the rails, already. Remember the repackaged Ewok Village that was pretty much just placed into a box labeled as Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves tree city?
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I've been mulling this over for a while as I genuinely hate what they have done with ToV XP, but I have been trying to figure out why I hated it and gain a better understanding of why it was done.

I have come to the conclusion that ToV was a deliberate "turning point" change to the game at a very core level, and that what the developer team set out to achieve with ToV's new XP model is intimately connected to Overseer.

Moving from Pre ToV into ToV expansions will mean a change in how players relate to the content, not so much for the players who are current but for anyone who is catching up to where the live players are at. Also Overseer seems to be a mechanism that tries to encourage "logging in every day, not just for raid days", pair that up with the way ToV mob xp vs how much xp is required to level.

I still think that the ToV XP + Overseer model is short-sighted & that it definitely makes it so much harder for anyone who needed to take a break or went on hiatus from the game to catch up should they fall behind on any server in ToV + content but it entirely depends what measure they put in place for players who need to go through ToV to get to the latest expansion in the future, I don't think that this has been thoroughly planned for and that the aim with the ToV+Overseer system was focused only on making it so the introduction of overseer did not make leveling in ToV while bypassing the progression trivial.

The problem as I see it is only related to players who fall behind, it is short-sighted to not give that consideration, Since SoD the game has leant into the "progression system" of partisan/mercenary/heroic achievements & quest completion but while that system is perfectly suited to players who are staying current it actually makes the game harder for anyone who returns to the game later on, unless they rely on players who already did that content a large number of times already they will not be able to progress their characters.
    In pre-ToV expansions catching up to live players at the current level cap was so much easier I'm really not convinced that the ToV+Overseer model will work for them, they will be throttled back in terms of how fast they can level by this new model, and their catch up time, the length of time it takes for them to reach current level will be drastically impacted by the new XP model and that makes me sad, whole other games are looking to make the journey from newbie or lapsed player to current era player far less painful / less of a drag yet EverQuest has actually made it more so.

Why am I so bent out of shape over the negative impact to lapsed players?
    Simple, we aren't getting new ones right now & are unlikely to be, the game needs to make it easier for players to catch up and I am not convinced ToV + Overseer is going to be a benefit long term I see it as a huge wall in the way of that, I see it as a move in completely the opposite direction the game needs.
  15. Nadisia Augur

100% agree on that, but for the 2nd part of your sentence:
    honestly, I'm not sure.

In my humble opinion, the main issues of the ToV system are:
    • replayability
    • balance between progression XP (merc/partisan and hero XP) and the good old classic mob grind.
    Honestly, the 1st time I've done the progression, it was really cool and pleasant.
    A good chunk of XP while doing each step of the progression, varied zones, and activities, and when you discover the content for the 1st time, it's great.
    With my main boxed team, I was 115 at the end of the progression.

But ... if you're an altoholic like us, once you need to repeat all of this over and over again, yes, it's a chore, and it's boring.
    (and on top of that, some quests/tasks are reaaaaally annoying, like the dervishes kill task in the GD caves in the 1st place :confused: or even the moving ice CC partisan arc.).
    And it looks mandatory because the classic grind option is pretty ... bad, yes.

So the gap between regular XP and quest/task/hero XP is too wide, I do agree.

Something in between would be great.

For Overseer, well, I'm kinda biased.
    Personally, I'll never consider this as a leveling option.
    Even more, I'll never consider this as a gaming option.
    For me, it's not gaming, it's not Everquest : no gameplay, no strategy, no challenge, nothing.
    It's just a facebook furuncle, the level 0 of game design ...
    (and to be honest I firmly consider that it has nothing to do in this game)
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

There were a LOT of knock-off toys that were simply recolored/repackaged versions of mainstream franchises. :D
  17. Metanis Bad Company

I think that since boxers are like short people and they don't deserve to live that they should make this expansion to be completely impossible to box.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I agree with you here a lot, philosophically Overseer doesn't feel like I am earning my XP, it feels like a contrived way to force logging into the game once you realise that will be the main way players who fall far enough behind will have to try levelling with how ToV mob xp.

I honestly think that once you fall far enough behind, like once eq is 3-4 expansions beyond ToV then trying to get through ToV is going to involve no playing the game just logging in for your overseer XP - that to me is simply not how this game should be
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It will be interesting to see how they handle this in CoV most people are now max exp but still need AA. With ToV there was very little/no AA added to achievments (except collects). What will the insentive be this time to get players to do the progression?

AA in ToV was fine, while exp was slower than we are used to as more exp was needed for each level the exp gain was the same as from TBL and GMM mobs of the same level and all zones in ToV had the same Zem regardless of doing T1 or T2 content. Velks exp felt slower as it had more blues then whites/yellows.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Moege Augur

Was handled by giving an xp bonus for the last 2 weeks.