New EverQuest Perks

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Sep 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nennius Curmudgeon

Well. You are in their world.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I don't know who Jake Paul is. This was just some crazy person on the board who told me that, after I had destroyed them. So I pwn them in a little box under every one of my posts.

It is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.

I told my wife the whole story, and we laughed. Then about an hour later I heard her say from the other room "I'm not about that" and I said "I'm not about that life." and we laughed for another 10 minutes.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

There is a pop up that appears everytime you create a new char on a TLP server which states that account bonuses are disabled, perks are an account bonus. If these are going to be on TLP they need to change that message to reflect these are available.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Uoman New Member

And All Access says it includes everything. Pretty clear what they're currently claiming in descriptions has gone out the window so they can further monetize, as with many other games. Unless otherwise explicitly stated, you should assume these will be on TLP servers. Especially when they're seemingly targeted at them.

Really? Because I can name countless services at this point which offer far more new and constantly updating content for less. That assuming you only pay a single subscription, which isn't the case for the majority of the playerbase. Someone else already listed all the other MMO subscription rates, which has EQ as one of the most expensive despite being one of the least supported as they continue to funnel the profits from EQ into everything except EQ.

• Disney+
    • Prime (Gaming, Video, Music, et al)
    • HBO Max
    • Peacock
    • Hulu
    • Epic (4+ free games per month, no monetary cost at all)
    • PSN
    • Game Pass
    • GOG (no hard number like Epic, but constant free games, truly monetarily free, but constantly giving free games and massive discounts on others)

That's just the first handful that came to mind, as there are many more. And when you look at the expense for those of us that box, the cost of EQ is suddenly rivaling the combined expense of ALL of those. Cheap EQ is not. That said, I'd still rather pay an increased subscription rate than literally giving people an advantage simply bc they pay more.

For some of us, it's not about winning, no. For others? It absolutely is. Why else do you think they constantly cycle TLP's? (Or keep track of guilds/servers raid progression on Live) And for that group, it creates an artificial pay wall which gives them a large advantage over those who don't pay this fee. (I really shouldn't have to explain how these things will be large advantages in a game that breaks down to combining such small modifiers into massive bursts, but I guess I'll have to) You have people that map out everything, nearly down to the minute, just to compete for being the "first." And all you have to do is "pay and get" that advantage because we're all already playing. That absolutely does effect them.

Do you expect people who don't know about EQ and those that don't play EQ to pay this fee? Ofc you have to play to gain the advantage. Just like you have to play to gain the advantage of buying power in any other sense. Buying a gun that allows you to one shot everyone in a competitive fps game isn't actually buying power over others if you never actually play the game. You wouldn't be paying otherwise. Issue is in this case, character growth is going to be compounded as time goes on, further dividing the player-base. Especially on TLP servers where they still have room for continued character growth.

Since experience, pp and alt currency directly impact character growth while progressing, these perks (especially when combined) greatly impact a players power gains over those that don't pay. These things will be compounded, as they all directly and indirectly lead to a more powerful character, faster. So a character will be gaining 5% more power direct through faster exp gains. 10% through pp gains until pp is mostly taken out of the equation. 10% through alt currency gains. 10% through TS skill gains and so on. The cumulative effect is far more than "just" a 5-10% gain in any single perk.

Think of it like burns. It's not a matter of simply using a single skill or aa, it's about the combined power of multiple skills and aas. Individually, those gains are small, but when combined they massively influence an individuals capabilities. That's the potential of the perks. Combined, if used to their full potential, the power gains are far closer to 20-30% over players who don't pay the additional cost. That is far from insignificant, even in the short term. Compound that over the life cycle of a TLP server. If group one group is progressing that much faster, it becomes impossible for those that don't to keep up. Even with the same time investment on otherwise equal footing.
    Aenvar and Finchy like this.
  5. Flat Toad Elder

Eh; I continue to consider the monthly DB "cash", loyalty tokens and such stuff as "rebates for addicts" ...like store coupons, eh? True, you only get the discount if you use em...but those of us who do, consider them defraying actual net cost of playing.
    Thus, for me, while cost of recurring annual sub's approx $10 a month, the "extras" effectively reduce that by nearly half.
  6. Qelil Augur

No matter how people choose to justify this it boils down to charging more money to players who want to remain on a level playing field with their peers in terms of basic game features. This is why you'll see arguments and justifiably so that minor bumps to various xp rates, etc. should simply be components of a patch or baked into an expansion as features. I would argue that these perks ought to have been rolled out as free perks for subscribers and paid options for free accounts.

White knights aside, there is simply no justification for splitting off basic game improvements as perks increasing the monthly subscription cost. For those having trouble grasping this I hope this clarifies why so many find practices like this offensive.

Personally, I think that ill considered moves like this put the game at some level of risk for losing subscriptions and winding up worse off financially, not better over time. This mistake reminds me of Aesop's fable, "The Dog and His Reflection" which you can find online if you like. Basically, a greedy dog nearly loses his life diving into water after a reflection of a dog with a bigger bone leads to him jumping into the water, nearly drowning, losing the bone he had and barely escaping with his life. The moral of the story being that it is very foolish to be greedy.
  7. Atomos Augur

As much as I hate stuff like this, and as much as I think the perks could be better in the first place, I also have to wonder how many people against them are utilizing black market Krono. Because there is way too much of that going on, so this new perk system hasn't surprised me at all. Frankly it should tell you all what kind of state the game/company is in. It has to survive on things like this.

That said, I think people would at least be a little happier if the perks were better.

However, I also believe that you could make a lot of money off of selling instant levels. People already pay for powerlevels, but DBG doesn't get a cut of that. Charge people to be instantly given levels up to 10 levels before the current level cap - whether Live or TLP (but don't unlock instant levels until Velious or so). Do the same for AAs, let people purchase AAs up to a certain amount per expansion. Don't worry about gear like with Heroic Characters.

As I said before I hate stuff like this, it's not for me. I'm never going to utilize perks or instant levels or even EXP potions. But a lot of people do, and a lot of those players are casual players, something that EverQuest has shunned for all of its existence. I don't like to admit it, but those casual players/whales are what keeps a lot of MMOs afloat.
  8. Gnothappening Augur

Hrm. Is this a factor of the new EQ owners?
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

As in the new boss is the old boss?
    Probably
  10. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

This is what bugs me about this. The other perks aren't something I would care much about one way or the other. But we have been asking for more inventory space and more space on our traders for many years. We have been told that it was a technical limitation on the size of character files or something like that. Now we see this, which you have to pay extra to get. I am insulted, quite frankly. Expanding inventory options is something that just should have been a basic feature of new expansions every so often because each expansion adds to the amount of stuff that we have to deal with. Since that is actually how it worked in the past (expanded shared bank slots, for instance), why break with that?
    Grove likes this.
  11. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

WTF is a "black market Krono"? Are people using Kronos to buy drugs, guns, and arrange hits like the mob? :D;)
    demi, code-zero, Skuz and 3 others like this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Maybe.

It's an idiom used by the EQanon / tinfoil hat brigade, if & when they buy a krono its a virtuous and holy purchase they made with pristine blessed dollars or platinum but they clutch their pearls when anyone else buys black market krono with filthy,corrupted, polluted & evil dollars or platinum.

There is no logic involved it's a superstition.
    code-zero and Qelil like this.
  13. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

LOL they do actually exist. Bought from 3rd party sites for less than half the going rate on the official site, from what I've been told. Just like you can still buy piles of plat, and with the coming of these two latest TLPs, I'm sure you can buy items as well. It's the same ol' RMTers that have been around since the game launched.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Resellers are not creating Krono, they simply offer to pay real world cash for them at a reduced rate and then sell tthem for less than you pay from Daybreak to make some profit - those Krono were still originally bought from Daybreak.
    The only loser there is the player who sold them to the third party as they lost a significant chunk of their value, Daybreak lost nothing.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

You do realize that nothing you said had any relation to what I said, nor did it counter it in any way, right?
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

A black market, underground economy or shadow economy, is a clandestine market or series of transactions that has some aspect of illegality or is characterized by some form of noncompliant behavior with an institutional set of rules

If what the resellers were doing was actually illegal they'd be getting sent legal papers, ergo it's not a black market. Krono IS purposed for RMT so other activities that are also RMT using it are legal so long as a fair exchange takes place, if someone chooses to sell to a 3rd party reseller site at well below the cost price then they are losing value to realise a cash sum.

People don't have to like it but they can also trade the Krono between themselves for real money too if they wish, the idiots selling to the 3rd party sites are getting ripped off because of the illusion those sites peddle that they are safer using a gobetween than trading directly.
    code-zero and Kalvenie like this.
  17. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Good bot.

So, acquiring goods/services outside the scope of the EULA is NOT underground/shady? Good to know.
  18. Peter_The_great Elder

Modern raids? Like the impossible ones.

Eok
    RoS
    TBL
    ToV
    CoV.
  19. Peter_The_great Elder

Why even bother? Its like one extra coin on the impossible raids..
    Yinla likes this.
  20. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Trees are shady. This conversation is boring and off topic.

Nobody had to get burned. When you are done playing EQ, you're not in any way beholden to the EULA anymore.

A EULA is not a law that you must submit to. It is an agreement between you and the other party. You are free to change your mind at any time, just like the other party does.

EQ's EULA writers would love for you to simply sit on Krono and let them go to waste, like a gift card for a store you don't shop at. Free money to them.

Thankfully, EQ's EULAs only have power if you have an account to take away, because that is the extent of the power they hold over you. So when you are done with EQ, you are free to reclaim your legal rights, any remaining $ you can, and your pride.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.