New Daybreak Game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by AlmarsGuides, Dec 12, 2018.

1. That0neguy Augur

LOL sure thing buddy.
    Business Analyst: We have a million people playing EQ!
    Marketing: Great! Lets go with..... more then 420k players in the press release.
  2. Zamiam Augur

I'm sure sony new how to determine how many actual players they had vs how many subs .. multiple ways to figure this out is by

when registering for a new account an Email address is req.. granted some people use multiple emails for different accounts .. but it is a basis

also IP address's .. no matter how many accounts you have or emails linked to those accounts you usually only have 1 IP address maybe 2..

so maybe they did have over 1 million subscriptions , but only 400+k actual players ?
    just saying and im just guessing really
    figured id just throw that out there..

I really have no idea what I'm talking about .
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

At the time, my foggy memmory remembers it as peaking arround 700k concurrent players, but that is probably wrong
  4. Ceffener Augur

I didn't ignore them, SoE ignored them.

2004 (still before WoW/EQII): https://www.sony.com/en_us/SCA/comp...hes-omens-of-war-expansion-for-everquest.html

118 Peak, the same number they reported in 2003...a year earlier.

"750k Subscribers": EQ, Planetside, SWG, all games...not just EQ.

2005: No numbers (https://www.sony.com/en_us/SCA/comp...success-as-10th-expansion-launches-today.html)

2006: No numbers (https://www.sony.com/en_us/SCA/comp...e-serpents-spine-expansion-for-everquest.html)

"Sony Online Entertainment - 03/05/2003
    Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online gaming, announced today that it has seen significant growth in the number of simultaneous user base and recently set a new record of 118,000 simultaneous players,"

118k concurrent number is the only official we have. The numbers peaked around 430k by all official news we have, if subscriptions kept rising, it is logical to assume SoE would have kept bragging about it.

What we do have are press reports saying 500-700k SOE subscribers, but by those reports that would have counted EQ, EQII, SWG, PoTBS (yeah, who remembers that game), and possibly some others.

Anyone else is free to look through all the press releases and prove otherwise, but from any official information I can find, the game peaked in 2003 around 430k sub / 118k concurrent. SoE has never reported any numbers higher than that and that peak period came before WoW and EQII both hit the market.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

A while back someone posted a "leak" of details, Planestside 3 Battle Royale game & an EverQuest 3 Battle Royale Game.

Well, we have seen a couple of the rumours come to pass so far so maybe the next thing we will see is a rehashed for Esports "EverQuest Arena" or maybe EQA was canned & that's what the 70 ppl laid off were working on /shrug.
  6. That0neguy Augur

Eq arena would be an interesting idea. Would need to modernize it quite a bit since the current pvp meta would not be all that interesting. Would be pretty easy to wrap the story around the zeks and forcing mortals to fight in an arena or something.
  7. Zrax New Member