New Class or Race?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Tannes, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Tannes New Member

I am not sure who else in the MMO world has noticed this but it has been a very very long time since the father of all mmo's has seen a new race or class.

Yes I talk of Everquest. I have played and paid for eq for over 10 years with the exception of a couple of years break for personal reasons. RadarX are we likely to see either of or possibly both in the foreseeable everquest future?

We had the drakin's added almost 11 years ago now and the barbarians almost 15 years. Can this be looked at seriously ?

Tannes
  2. Janakin Augur

Barbarians were in the game at release. They added the Vah Shir during Luclin and Drakin during The Serpent's Spine.

They are more likely to add a new Race/Class combo than an entire new race or class.
  3. Kharazdak Journeyman

While that would be nice, I'd much rather they work on stability with what currently exists, rather than trying to create new additions
  4. svann Augur

Said everytime anyone has brought it up in the last 17 years.
  5. Zapford Elder

Hmm Barbs in at launch, Iksar with Kunark, Vah Shir with Luclin, Frogloks with LoY, and the god awful Drakkin with TSS. How many more do we need?
  6. Tannes New Member

While I dont disagree stability would be great, eq was pioneering stuff at the time and this would be next to impossible. New content is great, new zones to explore awesome new gear fantastic but having to relearn the game with a new class this would be something i think most veteran players would like to se too.. PS thanks for the corrections.
  7. Tannes New Member

TSS was how many years ago, classes we have not had addition to in a very long time. While each to thier own it would be nice to see and have to learn something different jmho
  8. Zapford Elder

Races, sure, I could see Gnoll, or Orcs; they already have a presence, and something resembling a culture. Class though? IDK, what more could you do, without just getting silly, or super specialized. How many more hybrids can we come up with?
  9. jiri_ Augur

I actually have no interest in a new race or class. New races would inevitably be awkward as hell in the lore. I'm not sure where the design space for a new class exists. Everquest doesn't really have an unfilled niche. There are two or more classes for everything already, and big specialities like tanking and DPS already provoke pretty serious debates, unhealthy competition and envy.

That said, more race-class combos, please. Iksar berserkers (seriously, why not?). Barbarian druids and rangers. Dark Elf bards. Wood Elf shamans. Whatever.
  10. Brudal Augur

Isn't this, like the bazaar cap a 32 bit integer issue? or is there an easy fix for that?
  11. Phynster2 Journeyman

Top of my head there is one i would like to see personally, Necro x Rogue. A melee dps class combined with the powers of a necromancer. Other then Shadowknight a tank necro, there isnt really anything else that uses that kind of black magic. and lets be real its black magic, you can successfully combine black magic with just about anything and it would make sense... magics are always being corrupted.
    Tannes likes this.
  12. Tannes New Member

So at the moment we have;
    Mage
    Wizard
    Enchanter
    Necromancer

Druid
    Cleric
    Ranger
    Beastlord
    Shaman
    Bard
    Paladin
    Shadow Knight

Rogue
    Bezerker
    Warrior
    Monk

and sure that is a few for everyone to play but i'm sure out there in the greater norrath is an un- encountered class or race that could be explored

As for races
    we also have kobolds that have not been explored or really evil races

Teir'Dal
  13. Tannes New Member

If you wanted to go Black magic hybrid why not add evil shaman as a class ? or maybe witch or something of that kind.. Just suggestions folks nothing more.
  14. SK64 New Member

I would rather see them open up more slots so I can have a toon of each class before they add more.
  15. valkryss New Member

I would like to see a class like blood priest from vanguard in eq that might be fun
  16. Fian Augur

I think adding a race would be fine, but adding a class would be a mistake. Whenever you add a new class, you are making it more difficult to create future content. As an example, all of the visible armor these days is class specific, so to add another class would require creating additional items in the game FOR EVERY EXPANSION in the future. New spells/abilities for every expansion in the future. Time spent balancing the class compared to other classes. Personally, I would prefer that they take that time to create additional content that all classes can use.

And don't get me started on all of the old content that would have to be updated. Every item in the game would have to be updated to determine if it was useable by the new class. Lots of quests would have to be updated to include the class. At this point how would you add epic 1.0-2.5? Class specific armor from 1-105 would have to be updated to include armor sets for the new class.

Let's face it, EQ is heading towards its sunset. We don't know how many more expansions there will be. They don't have the resources to enhance the game like they once did. They have to pick the game enhancements that give the most bang for the buck.
  17. Tannes New Member

Just have to buy your slots they give you 8 already
  18. Tannes New Member

People have been saying for years EQ is dying and here it is still going 18 years later.

Lets enjoy the game make it great and be part of it's legacy. Stop condemning it and help build it
  19. Hostility Elder

As if class balance isn't difficult enough. A new race is fine, but PLEASE no more classes. Take a few away if you like; things would run a lot smoother. /Em expects things to be thrown at him.
  20. Tachyon Augur

I'd say take a page out of old school D&D and allow players to choose a secondary class to start at level one and adventure with until they match their main class level and become a true duo class.