New Chat Tabs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Warzon, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Kywen Augur

Yes, we can see how this can be used to cut down on windows. However, we do not want to cut down on windows! EQ has enough buttons and things to be clicked already... imagine you play a melee, and now have to play a mini whack-a-mole game to see your chat windows as well as press all the keys you already have to press. This is not an improvement. For me, the whole reason I have six chat windows is I want six chat windows!
    Annastasya and Lagerale like this.
  2. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

This mod makes perfect sense, as long as you're someone who doesn't actually play this game.
    Annastasya, Lagerale and Metanis like this.
  3. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Annastasya, Metanis and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  4. smash Augur

The idea in itself is probably ok, but it lacks some settings.

Like a disable/entable tabs, or be able to pull the header over the line with tabs.

What is wrong with this thing is that it is too space consuming, then you do not use it.
    xcitng likes this.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

As someone that does play the game... a LOT... this change is an awesome change. Quit trying to speak for everyone.
  6. Raveno Puppykicker New Member

My main complaint is I just want to have a single window for tells and guild chat at the bottom right corner of my screen, and when my two people I actually talk to send me a tell, it would make a tab inside that window for each of them. Instead they pop up in the middle of my screen and I have to move them manually to that window. I haven't figured out how to change that, so I turned the tell windows off.

My other complaint is that I want to combine some eventually into one window and use tabs, and other windows I don't want a tab. That tab takes up space and I want that window to always be up. I think an option would really be useful to remove it from certain windows. But maybe there is a way to do these already and I'm behind the times. I haven't played with it as much as I should.
  7. Diptera Augur

Utter nonsense - I don't want tabs, I don't want to lose additional screen estate over it, and I certainly didn't want my filters and tell options reset from my chosen settings.

Desperately needs an option to turn it off.
    Annastasya and Lagerale like this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

My biggest beef with it is they have changed my settings. I really dislike tell windows and blinking being on by default.

I play a lot of different chars depending on my mood. I now have to l9g in each and everyone and change the defaults.

Not amused!
    Lagerale and Metanis like this.
  9. Lagerale Journeyman

I would like to see the forum threads people were spamming saying "Waste time on giving up tabbed chat windows now!!!!1" because besides the fact the suck, I haven't really seen anyone begging for this crap either. I'd think the devs had better things to do then change stuff that wasn't broken.

*edited because I used a bad word for poop in my rant, I am sorry :oops:
  10. Lagerale Journeyman

The irony in your statement, why should I have to mod the game to fix something that wasn't broken and worked perfectly for TWENTY years, why can't YOU mod it to make it different then it was if you didn't like it? To keep making improvements this would have to be considered an improvement and if you read the comments at least half the people hate it. Given the forum is a very small section of the actually playing community I'd be willing to say the casual gamer who never sees the forum isn't happy his entire chat setup changed to an "improved" mode much like Windows ME was an improvement.

As I said in my previous post, someone show me the flood of threads and comments begging for tabbed chat and I might understand this but I haven't seen that on the forums nor other forums for EQ.
    Annastasya and Yinla like this.
  11. Lagerale Journeyman

Says the guy playing this instead of the 100's of other MMORPG's that have come out after EQ..
    Tatanka likes this.
  12. xcitng Augur

I'm just hoping that they will give us ability to opt out of using the new chat/tell windows.
    Yinla and Lagerale like this.
  13. Fooba Augur

Does anyone know why the size and location of my chat windows will not save when I log out and log back in? These tabs are terrible.
    Annastasya likes this.
  14. Tappin Augur

Every modern MMO utilizes tabbed chat windows - If I was not already an EQ player I am not sure I could play this game with all the UI crap required. I have been asking for tabbed chat windows for years. While this may not be the world's best implementation, I applaud the Devs for trying to make improvements to areas that really need it.

Most of the issues will be corrected over time, I just do not get the attitude.
    Ssdar likes this.
  15. Gosan Kai Elder

Great idea. Bad implementation. Use the same header of the windows for the tabs. That keeps the spacing of the window minimal. Then people can maintain single tab windows and it changes nothing for them. If you have multiple tabs it keeps the same window size without adding additional tab spacing.

Ex:
    Shout-out to Faltin...
    [IMG]
    Ssdar likes this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

But that is the problem over time. This should have stayed on test until all the issues were ironed out, not pushed to live and force the players to fix things themselves.

It wasn't broken prepatch but for many it is broken now.

I regulary play at least 4 chars on my main account, when I say regularly I mean every 1 or 2 days I log those 4 chars, sometimes I play more of the 14 chars on my account, but over the course of the anniversary each and every one of those 14 chars will be logged in at some stage to do the new content. That is just 1 account, I actually have 4, 2 gold, 1 silver and 1 F2P.

Every anniversary and special freebie I log in each and every char I have regardless of level and claim their items.

Timing on tab changes couldn't have been worse time as I now have an aweful lot of chars to sort out and fix chat windows for, especially as it has to be done per char and not per account before I can do new content.

I play EQ a lot, but EQ is the only game I play, I have no interest in other games, so I'm sure my game time isn't much different to others, just mine is spent on 1 game only.
  17. Tappin Augur

The implementation was bad, but that’s not new with current state of game.
  18. Fuser New Member

At least 2 things they need to fix:

1. Don't show the tab header when its the only tab in a window (helps existing folks swallow the feature easier too, since it wouldn't look any different)

2. Fix /copylayout to work correctly. I tried copying a tab chat layout multiple times, and it never works right. The new character's UI always has separate windows for each tab, or doesn't seem to copy the chat window portion of the UI properly (it leaves the old window names and apparently filters in place, etc)
  19. Thalliius Augur

This isnt an improvement and there is no clear way to turn these tabs off

I've spent over 20 minutes going through all the options trying to figure out how to turn this atrocity off

People shouldn't have to go download custom UI mods just to get around such a horrible change.. i dont play with UI mods, i dont want to play with UI mods.. i want my UI to be how its been for 15+ years!
  20. Thalliius Augur

Right, maybe he doens't know how custom UI pieces work based on his post.. which is why its ridiculous for them to force this type of change onto people without a clear way to turn them off

People shouldn't have to go get custom UIs just to get around this... People have been playing a certain way for YEARS with their UI and then this BS is forced down our throats