New Chat Tabs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Warzon, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Warzon Elder

Everyone needs to go log into test and see what they've done to chat. Let them know that while you don't find the idea of tabs problematic, their implementation is not adequate to be pushed out to live servers.

If you aren't sure how to get to test, from the launcher, click on the gear in the bottom left, go to select game version, select test. It will run a brief patch, and when you log in from that point, you'll only see the test server.

To date, I have seen very few of the recent changes not end up going to live after exceedingly short test windows, so everyone needs to make some noise or we'll be stuck with an even worse default UI then we've had up to this point.
  2. Warzon Elder

Go check out the test server, the new chat tabs are awful. If you've never been to test, you get there by clicking on the gear on the lower left corner in the launcher, select game version, select test, then login.

Then come post on the forums about the tabs. If we don't make noise this will get pushed out to live.
  3. Derresh Augur

whats wrong with it? looks fine to me.
    Neodraykl likes this.
  4. Machentoo Augur

It is already too late. They locked the patch in long before now.
  5. getlostgreg Lorekeeper

I made a post in the Veterans Lounge suggesting to get rid of the header to help out. Shopped some images to show what it could be.
  6. Sancus Augur

The chat tabs are an improvement. They just need to add an option to hide them.
  7. Warzon Elder

It overwrites your current UI, turns tell windows back on, resets where you have your filters going, lags horrifically, sometimes two or three seconds between when you type and it shows up. It forces a dedication of space for the tab into each chat window, even if you have no intention of ever using the tabs.

If people want chat tabs, great, good for them. I read everything coming in in real time, I have it all organized in a particular way and I have for decades. Any change at this point should really be opt-in. If it's going to be mandatory, it needs to be high quality. This is not high quality, it is poorly implemented, ignoring what is standard design practices at this point.
    Thalliius and sauron3030 like this.
  8. Ssdar Augur

The window placement and filter reset is a known bug on test that should be addressed before it hits live.
    The chat lag you speak of has nothing to do with the new chat windows, it's a longstanding issue that sometimes happens in EQ on all servers.

There are a couple options on eqinterface that address the dedication of space by removing the titlebar:
    Titlebarless Chat
    Tabbed Chat Window
    eepok, Corydon and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  9. Bobokin Augur

The chat tabs look a lot like EQ2. That's a bonus.

Will there be a toggle in the Options menu for chat tabs? Some players may not use them.
  10. Ansel New Member

Now that the servers are up and I've had time to look at this abomination that was added to the UI... I think we can all agree that this feature needs a toggle so that it can be turned off or it needs to be removed.
    pimenttoncheese likes this.
  11. pimenttoncheese Elder

Yeah this thing definitely needs a toggle :(
  12. ShadowMan Augur

How does one go about stopping pop up tells from happening? Already had them set to the window I want.

And getting rid of the 1/4" loss on every chat window because of double title bars?
  13. Ansel New Member

They need to add a toggle or remove them.
  14. Tucoh Augur

[IMG]

Ansel likes this.
  15. Justyse Journeyman

Please for the love of Pete, add an option to turn this off. The idea was good, but they are bulky like the rest of default UI.
    Thank goodness for eqinterface, they've already got better tabbed chat windows up for download :)
  16. Ansel New Member

17. Sugusto New Member

A separate tab on each tell is going to make raid looting a nightmare. Now we're going to have to go through each tab individually to see what people are saying??? Turn this crap off.
  18. Thraine Augur

WTB my 2 lines of chat per window back pls
    Meteon and Graves like this.
  19. tuda Lorekeeper

yeah, its hard to believe someone looked at this, and thought it was a good idea. These windows are downright atrocious. Give us a way to toggle this abomination out of our UI,
  20. Spellfire Augur

Horrible change. I would like an option to turn it off.