"new" agro meter

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by iniari-TR, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Falos Augur

I'd buy the next expansion if its only selling point was the removal of the agro meter.
  2. Talif Augur

You know you can close it, right?
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The agro meter needs to revert back to its original form, as it is now it is useless.
  4. Falos Augur

I want *everyone* to close it, too much mage attention brought about by it. feature is better off removed.
    Kelefane likes this.
  5. Kelefane Augur

Ive been waiting for that particular comment, lol

I personally like the agro meter. It tells me which tanks understand agro and which ones do not.
    Samtan likes this.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I agree. Not every window in the game is meant to be used by every class in the game. The aggro window is meant more for tanks and melee classes; not so much casters.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Since when?

When it came out originally it was great, now it is useless.
    If my agro is 999% why am I not tanking?
    We have one player in hott and another player in the box on the agro meter, how is this so, I thought this kind of thing was only supposed to happen with pets?

It was far more useful in its original form than it is now, at least before it rang true. Before if I got to 100% the mob was coming for me or I was looking at being summoned. The agro meter we have now makes no sense at all.
    Pirlo likes this.
  8. Pirlo Augur

Agro meter as is , is useless and needs to be fixed so it can be understood more easily .
  9. Robnie Augur

There are a few various reasons as to why you are not tanking when your agro is 999%, correct me if I'm wrong about these.

1. A pet is higher on agro then you, but there are melee's in range so it shows your agro corresponding to the melee's and not the pet.

2. The mob is rooted, and will attack anyone in range regardless to agro.

3. The mob is stunned and can't switch targets until stun wears off.

4. You just nuke it and the fight just started and .2 seconds later when the tank's agro buttons hit you will be at your normal place of 1-99%
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  10. Gladare Augur

5. Undivided Attention

The new aggro meter works just fine.
  11. Talif Augur

As a caster, I'm going to strongly disagree with you.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

So how exactly are you supposed to tell when you are going to get agro. The old agro meter was fine, I will never understand why they changed it.

But that still does not explain how I can have 1 player in hott and another on the agro meter, both windows work the same way with stuns etc.
  13. Augok Lorekeeper

Its quite simple ;) Unbroken attention sets you as the target but doesn't effect Agro

E.g.
    Guildy 1 That lovable rascal Augok is tanking the nasty Grelleth when the emote goes out that that meenie Grelleth is going to cut his head off!!
    Seeing this Guildy 2 presses Unbroken Attention to pull attention away from Augok but Grelleth isn't fooled by this trick and knows that the person she really hates the most is Augok so swings to the side and chops his head off anyway :(

Attention (HoTT) and Agro are not the same thing.
  14. Uxtalzon Augur

Agreed, the aggro meter is more of a burden now since players have done without it for years, and the flaws in it just complicates things further.

Mintalie's so adorable that her pet fade doesn't work, because mobs can't forget that cute gnome face! :3
  15. Talif Augur

I'm utterly confused that so many people have problems with the agro meter. It's really not all that difficult if you understood the way agro worked before they put the meter in. Nothing's changed other than now having another tool that lets you push the limits of your agro a bit harder than you used to be able to.
  16. savrin Augur

I have problems with the agro meter because it is broken. Pets of any kind break it lots as you cannot tell where you are the on agro list at all. Also it is possible for you to be in the green on raids for instance and immediately get agro for unknown reasons (maybe someone died) but it never shows you as on top of list or any warning that you are about to take agro.

Basically agro for me at least is not a big change due to the ineffectiveness of the agro meter. It could go from green to red in just a few deaths which does not make sense. There really is no way to tell if you if one person dies you are next.

To avoid agro, I pretty much just spam fd, as always, because the agro list does not help me at all to avoid agro. It can green one second and I'm dead a second later.
  17. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

While the pet part is true.. summon is instant cast and tieing it into force of elements doesn't hurt your personal dps.

Also telling your MT to stop #^&%@ usually makes you feel better too. That's my usual solution they blame everything on pets and anyone with a brain tells them to hit taunt and shut up.

Agreed. It AMAZED me how many people bought into the sudden frenzy of "omg pets are destroying raiding as we know it" soon as meters were put in. "Omg pets are broken suspend them all"... FFS nothing changed except now you can see a number and your yelling that the sky is falling.

We had half our raids for a couple weeks we (mages/bsts) couldn't use any pets. Was a few nice weeks of afking in a corner
  18. MrGPAC Augur

There are a few issues here.

Old agro meter was useless for melee. You'd be at 20% agro and be getting hit by the mob wondering WHY AM I GETTING HIT I HAVE 20% AGRO.

New agro meter is useless to casters. You'd be at 500% agro and wonder if you should keep nuking or fade.

Personally I think the new agro meter is more beneficial than the old, but I play mainly melee characters. Good news on the new agro meter if you have a pet is that you can put your pet on extended target window and you can see its agro number. Keep your number under that and you're good, regardless of what it is. If you like, you can put your friends pet on extended target as well to see its agro number. Pick a mage friend who likes to give their pet agro swords and leave pet taunt on and you should be golden.

The other problem is the way a lot of mechanics, particularly in ToV, work. Here are mechanics that mess things up in ToV:

Aary: Whatever has highest agro will never blow up from aoe. If its tank, he's safe. If its a pet, the tank can blow up.

Kriezzen: Whatever has highest agro will not take increased damage from having the goo dot on them. If its a pet, the tank will die...if its not the tank will live.

Lady N: Knocks the tank backs and stuns them...meaning they won't be in melee range meaning whoever happens to get back from stun first dies if pet is top agro.

Cekenar: Whoever is top agro will never aoe the dot. If its a tank he can ignore the emotes. If its a pet, the tank dies (and takes most of the raid with them).

Zlexak: Whoever is top agro will never get fog of filth upgraded above whatever level it was when they took top agro. Tanks that are slowed + getting hit for 100k nukes don't live / keep agro long.

Vyemm: He has his own issues.

These mechanics have NOTHING to do with summon tanking, and a simple code change to make it whoever the dragon is swinging at instead of whoever (whatever?) is top agro would solve 90% of the pet agro issues. The last 10% would really only be if summon tanking was to be used, or cases where the tank gets knocked back, which are relatively rare.

The sad thing is, save these few mechanics...tanks should LOVE that pets get huge agro. There are TONS of movement utilities to negate "Dragging" the mob around to position it, and having a pet with huge agro allows tanks to slack and ride the taunt key to great agro instead of actually having to work it (which, come to think of it, may be half the reason WHY tanks have issues keeping agro off pets...they got lazy...).
  19. SpamFactory Augur

I also preferred the original agro meter to the changed version (though neither is without flaws)