Need Legal Advice from Daybreak please.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Okial, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleka Lorekeeper

What you are bartering with and for are all property of Daybreak for the sole reason of entertainment. If you had property that was yours you would be required to claim it. For example if you had submitted a tax account to Sony (daybreak) for your virtual creations that would be bought and sold through daybreaks publishing content - player studio
    Now that you mention it I don't think I received a report from my account last year...
  2. Vitali New Member

I really like this thread. This made my day.
  3. rick Augur

Not sure if anyone mentioned this BUT can I move my krono to an off shore account in the Cayman Islands just incase all your talking about it has woken UP the IRS ..

NO OGGOK won't do I know most ogres can't count past 5 without lopping off someone else's hand (and just a point of information mention this fact AND you will probably end up called stumpy or lefty)
  4. Krysanth Elder

is this a real thread????? o_O
    MamaBear likes this.
  5. svann Augur

I dont think it's as you think you understand it.
  6. Porygon Augur

I didn't think it was that strange of a question.
  7. Durgle New Member

If you're honestly curious... and you can afford to buy your house in one lump sum, then you wouldn't be coming to forums to come ask these questions. You'd be asking your lawyer. Or your accountant.
  8. Steampunk Augur

Oh, it's a real thread, unfortunately. Mostly troll, some sh*t-stirring, and a lot of tongue-in-cheek.
  9. Okial Augur

I'm unfamiliar with the tongue-in-cheek part. going to have to google.
  10. Porygon Augur

Because you need to have a lawyer or accountant to be able to pay for a house?
  11. Steampunk Augur

Why am I not surprised?
  12. Steampunk Augur

Actually, my wife and I just bought a house and land a few months ago, and it felt like we ended up dealing with just about every other kind of this and that. I think what he was meaning, however, was that a person could probably afford a lawyer and/or an accountant if they could afford to buy their house outright in a single lump sum. Although, after doing that, they might not be able to any more.
  13. Zarakii Augur

wow this OP had a lot of you trolled....
  14. Steampunk Augur

I've just been making fun of his troll.
  15. Porygon Augur

Congratulations on the house. As someone who makes a living selling homeowners insurance. I've assisted people throughout all steps of their closing process. I'm extremely familiar with who and what kind of people you speak with.

I think the issue here, is you're assuming this person is buying (let's throw out an average) a 250k home.

What if they aren't. What if the home is in foreclosure, and they are buying it for 65...There's tons of reasons why someone could pay cash for a home, and not have a lawyer.

Even more so, a tax lawyer.

Accountant, is more likely. But with the exception of once a year, most people don't speak with accountants often.

Also, I don't understand why people constantly refer to this as a troll thread.

As per tax laws you are supposed to report all of your income, including income you receive from hobbies (over a certain value per annum). It's really not that farfetched of a question.
  16. Steampunk Augur

My opinion (which may be wrong) is that the intent was to troll. If the OP had a real concern, he shouldn't be asking for free legal advice from DGC. As to whether the trading of Kronos is actually taxable, I am not a lawyer, but I have gotten pretty darn familiar with the IRS over the course of *censored* years. Kronos have existed and been traded for several years now. If the IRS actually thought they were missing out on some taxable income, they would already be knocking at the door.
  17. Senlaeb New Member

This is either a total troll thread, and I am thus agreeing with Steampunk, or someone here is way too immersed into the game world to realize the difference between RL and Game Life.
    SImply put incase this is still being read by the original poster:
    1. You are not in any form profiting from the acquisition of any amount of Krono. Krono do not have any intrinsic monetary value. Only the purchase of the Krono has value as you have given a real world currency for an service.
    2. If you have "profited" from all of those Krono then you have broken the EULA by selling the acquired Krono for real monies, in any form, dollars, yen, pesos, etc. So have you gained actual money that was able to be passed as "legal tender" through your possession or passing along of your acquired Krono?
    3. This is not considered a viable "hobby" as defined by the IRS. Woodworking and selling your creations for actual money, ie "legal tender" is a hobby for profit. Picking out silly names to register as domain names and then selling them is a hobby for profit. Purchasing a product [Krono] via an internet based game that can only be used in the game is not a hobby for profit. Play EQ and collect Krono and then sell them to real people for real money as an ongoing activity [hobby] then you will have crossed this line.

You are buying a house and paying cash for it... and you are worried about being audited and the repercussions of internet purchases? Who has untraceable cash to buy a house to start with? That should be your biggest worry. If the money that you have to purchase said house is all properly and legally gained then why do you fear an audit? I could go on and on about this, but I am falling back to my first statement, I am thinking this is a troll that sucked us in for 5 pages of commentary.
  18. Zublak Augur

A quick sum to why this appears to be a troll thread, aside from obviously appearing that way.

Forget the lawyer or accountant. Whenever I have tax questions I call "my tax lady". It cost me nothing, she tells me what I need to know about anything in the way of taxes.

Don't have a tax person? No worries, plenty of places will answer your questions for free. Don't trust their judgement? Even easier, that website you went to copy and pasting their info, they have a phone number, give them a call.

Troll thread.
  19. Okial Augur

So when you get charged tax on your Amazon orders sometimes, but sometimes not, do you call your accountant, or simply ask the Company?
  20. Dupre_MIM Elder

Okay so here is my 2 cents. First this thread is hilarious but I don't have time to read the whole thing.

Second, if you're going to report it, you also have to report the value of the time you spent accruing the Krono. At this point I would argue you've taken a loss. I have to imagine it took you more than 60 real world hours to accrue the krono in question. So if you value your time at $20 per hour, you've taken a significant loss and as a result your taxable liability I think would be absolved in this type of a business venture. You don't pay taxes on losses.

That said, I highly doubt DBG reports who bought kronos, nor are they tracking and reporting who traded them in game. The IRS has bigger fish to fry I think.

That said I'm not a lawyer and do not consider my advice anythign of official merit. That's just my feeling on it. I'm not reporting my Krono. I'm afraid if I tried to report a form of online currency from a video game that might trigger an audit on the grounds that the IRS might think I'm making things up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.