Need ideas for places to AFK level lvl 75+...

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Brumski, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buktum Lorekeeper

You're taking this way too seriously. I probably don't even play on the same server. It's just tongue-in-cheek. Calm down bro. Come back down to Earth.

I've got this mental image of some internet keyboard commando who makes lame, stereotypical nerd jokes about people he knows nothing about.

Edit: It would be a real shame if something happened to that camp spot.
  2. Toquillaw Augur

So you condone performing actions which are clear violations of the rules because of something that bothers you but is deemed to be within the rules?

And you want to make some sort of argument that the OP is the issue?

Both my wife and I are disabled. We sometimes have to leave the computer on short notice, for an unknown period of time. So, it is now completely acceptable to train us?

You need to look at your own ethics.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Buktum Lorekeeper

Please read my response above before you get upset too. All a joke. Calm down people, sorry I offended you. Forgot how easily some players get offended and defensive in this game.

I have never trained an AFK person, on purpose. Ever. Since 2001.

Would be a real shame if it happened though.
  4. Djinnkitty Augur

It's almost as if, when realizing one no longer has a leg to stand on, the immediate reaction is to try and claim it was all a joke, you fussy-wussy-serious-pants.

Don't worry, at least you still have your dignity :cool:
  5. Buktum Lorekeeper

You got me internet tough guy! I backed down because a random person on the internet took insult to my sarcasm! I thought I was the one that played on the RP server?

Would be such a shame if something did happen to that camp though.
  6. Toquillaw Augur

Are you saying the actions you describe in detail do not happen? Because I can assure you that they do happen. With you explicitly stating that it is fine to train others as long as it is done in jest or "accidentally on purpose" it certainly makes the OP appear to be completely reasonable by contrast.
  7. Toquillaw Augur

Anyone who has trained someone purpose would of course deny it afterward. Read your own words.

And you are far too fast to decide that you of all people have the right to decide when people are upset or when it is your place to tell anyone to settle down.

It is you who is reacting too emotionally, as you state that breaking of the rules is fine as long as it suits yourself.
  8. Buktum Lorekeeper

Would be such a shame to react too emotionally, divulging personal details like you're disabled as an excuse to randomly AFK.
  9. Flatulence New Member

Would be a shame when people treat a game seriously.
  10. Buktum Lorekeeper

Truly shameful. Flatulence.
  11. Flatulence New Member

I thought I was getting into a game with an established adult userbase...I was wrong.[IMG]
  12. strongbus Augur

afk killing for xp don't seem like a good way to do it to me. Now afking in some lowbie zone to get slayer maybe. I
  13. Sebbina Augur

I tend to try to think on things by how would I feel if some one did it to me, and some games call for doing in the other guy (chess, checkers) . Now if you really believe that doing some one in while they are not paying attention, then I guess you would justify 20 guys taking out some buildings with passenger planes. Bullying and bad behavior gets to be a habit and so does good behavior- why some one has gone afk can cover a lot of options, sleep, bio break, gone to work, medical emergency. If some one is afk in EQ and out of the way, they aren't likely getting more then a few mob cycle. I earlier suggest some places that could assist them in their efforts, but now it is a discussion on training folk. That makes it really sad, if you don't want to be abused try to avoid abusing others.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

What I find funny in this whole thread is all the people who didn't even bother to read most of the OP. The guy is asking for out of the way places no one uses. So in no way applies to any of the "best camps" in any part of the game.

For that matter the only "afk" people who camped all the great camps were the plat farmers and their bot armies (some of which were ran illegally). I mean really what is the point for any person who's going to afk pet/merc kill to do it where names spawn? They are likely to die and lose more xp than they make; and even if they do kill the named the loot will rot which defeats the purpose of using that camp.

For the OPer, sorry I have no suggestions beyond the few that were already given.
  15. Tweelis Augur

So some people want to AFK xp and others are upset by seeing people asking about this. The ones that don't understand why many of us don't like afk xp'ers probably haven't thought about some of the underlying reasons. Here's my personal reasons (and I suspect some others will agree with me):

Throughout my life I have seen plenty of people get something for nothing. Not just in EQ but life in general - starting at a very early age. My life for example; little sister (part of the "perfect person crowd") is very pretty and knows just how to make others do her bidding simply by smiling, batting her eyelashes and swaying her hips. On the other hand people like me (in the "not perfect person crowd") actually have to work to get things. Some may say my little sister and others like her as simply using their gifts and I need to get over being a bitter old fart.

WTF does this have to do with AFK xp'ing you ask? People working for what they have (ie, people like me) means something to some of us and we resent it when others get something for nothing. Coming here and asking how to get something for nothing is a slap in the face. Is this just a game? yes. Is life unfair? yes. If roles were reversed would how loud with the have's be screaming? If the something for nothing crowd doesn't like an even playing field how about reversing things? Is that shoe comfortable?

Part 2 of why I personally dislike afk xp'ing. It was around the holidays and one of my friends and I were messing around. We tried to take on a named in Beasts Domain but kept having issues (ok, we died a lot). Eventually I opened up the LFG window and searched for others that would like to group up. There was a shadow knight with a pretty impressive list in his comments section (something like 10k AA and 7k AC). He agrees to join us for awhile. We ask him to pull but he refuses. In fact he refused to do anything aside from cast dots (from a distance) and send his pet in. The three of us chatted for awhile and he eventually admitted that most of his AA's and regular xp came from AFK xp'ing. He didn't know the basics of his class; couldn't pull or split or tank or keep aggro or ........ Near the end of our session together I suggested he visit the evilgamer.net boards to learn about what shadow knights can do and are capable of doing; which is when things got really ugly. He claimed the game was easy and people like me that only played a mage (I didn't tell him I also have a SK alt) need to keep their *blah blah blah* opinions to themselves. Yadda yadda yadda *insert lots of colorful language here* about how he has more AA's than I do and his /played time is substantial.

So in the end this nitwit that gained a lot of levels and AA's from AFK xp'ing ruined our night. When we tried to be helpful we were yelled at and had many insults thrown our way.

Sorry AFK xp'ers but it's difficult to respect and trust you due to personal experiences from others like you. I won't stop you or even train you for getting xp while afk but I also won't hold you up on the same throne as somebody that gained with they have legitimately.
  16. Djinnkitty Augur

I don't mean to be rude, but those people are right. If this is really how you approach life, it's just not conducive to happiness in anything, EQ or otherwise.

First off, life simply isn't fair, some people are going to have an easier time at things, whether through natural talent, circumstances of their upbringing, or just plain dumb luck. Defining your own happiness by what you perceive as the work others have put towards their own will almost always result in you being unhappy because, again, life is simply not fair.

Second, people tend to see what they want to see. I would not be at all surprised if your 'cute little sister' is not nearly as happy, or gets what she wants in life nearly as easily as you think she does. It might do you a world of good to have a sit-down and nice long talk with her about this, to see if her own life and happiness matches up to the image you've built up around it, you might be very surprised at what you find out. At the very least it'll give you something to talk to your sister about, and you'll probably become a closer and stronger family because of it. More likely, you'll find out your sister is constantly fighting her own challenges in life, much the same as you, and she might even think you get certain things handed to you on a silver platter that she has to constantly fight for, you'll both have some common ground to bond over, and you both can support each other moving forward in life.

Originally I was just going to say this in regard to EQ and the hate towards AFK'ers, but really this applies to nearly anything in life: Worry about yourself, your own enjoyment and your own fulfillment first. Strive towards what makes you happy and stop stressing out about whether or not others are doing things 'the right way', because no one wins when you play that game. There all all sorts of ways to happiness, don't think you know better than everyone else, and the only time you should be worrying about 'correcting' others is if they're directly hurting you or the ones you love, or if they genuinely seem unhappy and you feel you could actually help them out in that regard.

Back on the game topic: Same deal. Quit worrying about whether or not afk'ers are doing things 'the right way' and just concentrate on having your own fun. Maybe this is how they enjoy themselves, maybe they like leaving the computer for several hours and coming back to find all the little numbers on their character sheet have gotten bigger. EQ is not a job, you are not competing with these people for raises and promotions, what they do almost always has no impact on your own trip through the game. And when it does, such as them planting themselves on a needed spawn for days on end? Do what you would do for any live player: Petition them and let the people in charge of running the game take care of the issue.
    Sendori likes this.
  17. Phrett Augur

.... says the guy whose forum handle is "Flatulence"
  18. Djinnkitty Augur

DON'T INTERRUPT THE SMUG, SELF-SATISFIED BACK-PATTING! THEY NEED THIS!
    Sendori likes this.
  19. Toquillaw Augur

Well, I can see you aren't too compassionate. Let me put it this way, I am disabled and I make no excuses for it whatsoever. I do use it as a reason why the /afk command exists, and that people do use it whether or not they are disabled. In our case, it simply isn't an option to make a judgement call at the time.

I offered suggestions to the OP as to how to deal with this such as using an instance zone, so he doesn't not need to deal with people who are intolerant of others (even when they play within the rules).

And for that matter, who let you decide if MY disabilities are private? They happened over 30 years ago in an industrial accident which severely altered my appearance. Nobody in real life would consider it a private thing, since it is entirely obvious.

Why is my lack of privacy regarding something that bothers me not at all (it's just the way things are) irritating to you enough to post that you want it kept private?
  20. Tweelis Augur

I didn't want to write a novel detailing all the information but I do see your point. My happiness isn't defined by others but for me to explain my position fully on a message board would require more typing than I want to do and a lot more reading than most (maybe all) would care to read about.

As I said above, going into my family life detail by detail would entail a lot more typing than I'm willing to do and a lot more reading than you'd care to do. Let's just keep it at:
    She is not happy. She does not get what she wants all the time but what she does get is given to her and not earned. I have sat down with her and the results weren't good. The phrase "misery loves company" comes to mind when dealing with her so we're not close due to me not wanting to be miserable. She refused to work hard for what she had early in life and now claims it's too late for her to start. When I'm around her I turn into somebody I really don't like to be and that affects me and my kids negatively....hence I don't see her more than a couple times a year.

Did you read my second point as to why an AFK xp'er affected my enjoyment of something that's supposed to be fun?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.