Need ideas for places to AFK level lvl 75+...

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Brumski, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quatr Augur

There are high traffic areas in Paw (mostly corridors) and I have seen AFKers set up camp there, but at 75 they may be a bit too much to handle.
  2. Nolrog Augur

I guess I am narrow minded then. I must be crazy, but I think the fun in the game is actually playing it and not sitting AFK to do it while you're not there. What a concept, actually playing a game. Who'da thunk it!
    moogs likes this.
  3. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

Regardless of each person's personal feelings on the matter, being AFK while actively fighting has long been seen as inappropriate behavior, regardless of whether it is accomplished by illegitimate (bots) or illegitimate (pets, etc.) means.

The OP may be rightly trying to mitigate the risk of getting reported for doing this by trying to find a place to do it that will be non-disruptive. This is considerate to the community, but doesn't make the action itself right.

This would be like making a thread titled "What is the best class to use to KS and train botters?" The intent may be there to be an upstanding member of the community, but those actions are still illegal.
    Nolrog likes this.
  4. Zalmonius Augur

Maybe he likes to enjoy the game by doing quests and such while he's there rather than grind groups? Maybe his friends are higher level than him, and this is a way for him to help close the gap, so he can play with them? Maybe, JUST MAYBE, he wants his XP bar to move while he's at work and asleep, and he has extra plat!

Not true, SOE has stated that as long as 3rd party software is not used, afk xping is OK. People have their own bias's against it, that's all. You can't /report someone for afk merc/pet killing.

To the OP. I've seen a couple of guys get away with boars in Toskirakk from SoD at 75+, so that too may be reasonable. It's no longer a hotzone, so it should be fairly okay to XP there.
  5. Necromonious Augur

We used to afk level back in Shadowbane. But that was a pvp game and afk leveling was pretty commonly used to get pvp ready, and the pve was pretty underdevoped

That being said I find it HIGHLY entertaining to train mob camps onto afk levelers in EQ. I dunno if it is breakin the rules or not (wouldn't stop me regardless lol) but I personally don't see it as ruining a person's playing experience if there's no one...um...playing :)
  6. Sebbina Augur

Yes it is against the rules to intentionally train some one - the question is will you get caught if the someone is AFK - if you want PVP then go to Zek. The matter of AFK XP is already declared as not a violation and there can be a number of reasons for it, (I left my SK in a trafficked spot in Sebilis so the frogs would fix the KOS guk faction). If Griefing others is what makes your day, then you probably aren't going to be helpful anyway.
    That said AFK XPing is probably best done against mobs that won't run, either most undead or where a non agroing mob is close enuf to be considered a helper by the one on agro that it wont think to run. I would suggest since Dragonscale is about run its course to look at the undead mobs around the band shell in loping plains, there are other undead spots there, and are some more higher level undead in Hills of Shade but as it is now a hot zone there may be more traffic and a greater risk of grief plus it is a longer distance to get there.
  7. Djinnkitty Augur

So much afk-hate here. It had always confused me, I've never really had a problem with afk'ers. I've tried to think of reasons to be angry at them, but so far nothing's turned out legitimate.

What if they afk while running illegal outside programs? Well then the problem is not the afk, it's the illegal programs.

What if they afk in a popular camp, keeping other people who need it for questing? Well, is it any different than a live player squatting on the same spot, refusing to move and ignoring everyone else? Live or afk, petition them for zone-disruption and be done with it.

What it boils down to is: Do AFK xp'ers have any unfair in-game advantages over anyone else? The answer is no. In fact they are at a disadvantage as it's a plat sink, it's slower than active play, and if something unexpected happens, they'll probably die and be unable to do anything about it until the player gets back.

So why are afk'ers so reviled? Swarmers empty entire zones, which is way more disruptive, but they don't get as much hate. An afk'er going out of their way to ask for spots which aren't going to bother other people gets the hate piled on him. People openly state they will purposely train afk'ers, in other words they will do something blatently illegal in response to a non-illegal activity. Why?

I'd asked this in general chat, and got an answer along the lines of, "People dedicate their time to their toons, why should afk'ers get the same rewards while not actually at the computer?"

So? What difference does it make to you what the person behind the toon is doing? Whether it's a live person or not, that toon is equally disruptive. The only effective difference is whether or not they will chat or group with you, and even then there are plenty of live players who set up camps with no intention of grouping or being talkative. So I was left with the same question: Why the hate?

I think the closest thing I have to an answer is that people hate being ignored. Afk'ers are sort of preemptively ignoring everyone around them, and it strikes some subconscious chord with a lot of people, so the immediate reaction is hate. Which is why afk'ers get griefed more than zone-emptying swarmers, more than live players who are squatting on a camp and refusing to move. Because with the latter two, people can at least pretend that the complaints and vitriol being sent their way is at least being seen, at least has a slight chance of having some effect. With afk'ers, all attempts at communication are just showing up on a computer screen in an empty room, and that seems to trigger rage in a lot of people.

So before reactively piling on the hate on someone because they're afk, take a moment to ask yourself: Are they doing something that would equally enrage you if it were a live person doing the same thing? Or are you just angry because your irrational need for acknowledgement is being preemptively denied?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and BQLIFE like this.
  8. moogs Augur

While you bring up a valid point, I don't think it's that so much as it's a general dislike for people who are receiving something while they are putting in zero effort. Like the guy in your office who does nothing and collects a paycheck anyway.
  9. Borek-VS Augur

It's not against SOE's rules, but it is against general player expectations. Personally, I don't care for it, but I wouldn't train a group just because they make my favourite camp unusable for weeks at a time, while they level until all mobs are green to them. That's reason enough to disapprove of afk camping, and I won't give suggestions to encourage it.
  10. Trazzlo Elder

Or someone who buys their plat? ie. Buys a Krono and sells it for plat, then uses it to ultra twink? Or suddenly finding your old account has a ton of loyalty tokens and Store points which are used to give huge HP and mana increases to a level 1?

There is only one issue I see to be relevant -- Is the action interfering with others? If you set up an AFK camp where people usually pull through, then yes it is an issue. If you are out of the way then what do I care about mobs that just stand there for days/weeks/months without ever being killed?

The other thing is that since they don't loot their kills, after a few minutes it is open to anyone to loot up. If you are after a specific drop, that might be to your advantage.

Either way, it really is up to SOE. If they say it is fine, then it is fine with me as well. If they decide it is against the rules later, that also is fine.

And like said above, I find the swarmers taking out the entire zone to be far, far more of an issue since they hog entire zones. And, even more absurd is that they have 5 afk people behind them collecting experience. Essentially, they pay someone to hog all of your mobs for you. That is far worse than a long term, short range selection of mobs.

And one last thing ... if they set up and do AFK exp in an instanced zone, who would know or care? It's like a tree falling in the forest when nobody is nearby.
  11. fransisco Augur

leveling up I hated afk xpers. They took great camps - often disrupting movement through a zone (see paw).
  12. Fenthen aka Rath

AFK leveling is acceptable to Sony, so long as it is not zone disruptive and not being performed with 3rd party programs.
  13. Buktum Lorekeeper

Wow is all I can say.
  14. fransisco Augur

The problem is, what counts as disruptive. Its not a problem if a group is there one time and gone the next. But an AFK camper can keep part of a zone locked down for weeks.
  15. Djinnkitty Augur

TIL Everquest is a job. I should demand a raise, my pay sucks.

But seriously, why does it matter to you? Are you so emotionally invested in this game that you seriously care what the person behind the toon is doing beyond the actions the toon does and the words they put up in chat/messaging? I run a shaman and usually molo with a tank merc. My AA grinds consist of me making sure all buffs are up, pulling, sending in the merc, then doing something other than EQ until the fight's over, coming back, wash, rinse and repeat. Should I take an xp-penalty because I'm not putting in as much effort as that rogue over there who has to be a bit more attentive in his fights?

How about chemical enhancements? Should we ban players for using caffeine to give themselves an unfair advantage while playing?

This is a game, not a job, not a competitive sport. The only thing you should care about is what the toons themselves are doing, and what the people behind them are saying in chat/messaging. Beyond that, they could be 100% focused on the game, fapping, working on homework, watching a movie, or not being at the computer at all while playing, and it can get pretty hard to tell the difference.

So do what you would do for a live player who was doing the same thing and refusing to respond to you: Petition. The GM comes around, verifies that they're being a disruptive influence, and removes them. Problem solved.
    Sendori likes this.
  16. Buktum Lorekeeper

If I see it happening I might accidentally trip and feign death a choo choo train on someone.
  17. Djinnkitty Augur

So it's wrong, and a bad thing to afk-grind, but a-okay to deliberately train somebody?

Or is this one of those situations where the moral high-ground is determined by the philosophy, "It's only illegal if you get caught"?

Or one of those situations where two wrongs do make a right?

Legitimately curious here, because a lot of the arguments seem to claim that it's wrong to afk-grind on some ethical or moral level, yet the ready willingness to engage in deliberate training, in itself a far worse thing, kind of undercuts the tone of moral superiority here.
    Sendori and BQLIFE like this.
  18. BQLIFE New Member

Guy asks help to do something in game that will not hurt anyone, even making it a point for help in NOT disrupting anyone else’s game play and gets chastised for it. Would not expect any less from these forums!

Anyway, I wish I knew somewhere for you to go to pal. I have never attempted to AFK and get XP, not that I am against it but just never tried.

What I would do is get an instance where mobs repop and locate somewhere in said instance where there are multiple mobs in a single area. Take the time to clear them slowly and stand in the middle, they will repop and auto agro you. Your mercs will kill them as they pop and the cycle will be stagnated as to allow you to kill without multiple mobs at a time.

Hope the advice helps!
  19. Buktum Lorekeeper

There's no moral high-ground. I just may have an accidental train. It happens. I can't help it if he may be AFK and can't run away or log out. Maybe if he was at his keyboard he would be safe. I promise I'll yell train before. It makes everything okay.
  20. Djinnkitty Augur

So you're willing to engage in deliberate training, but don't have the guts to outright admit it.

I've got this mental image of a skinny pale kid in ill-fitting business casual, braces, a pocket protector, and a high, nasally voice, trying to act like a mobster, "Nice afk campspot you have here, would be a shame of something happened to it."
    Sendori likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.