Need help with necro burns

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Nifty Slacker, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Venau Augur

I agree it sometimes can and will make a difference.

Here's where my feeble testings cloud the picture and make me shun the Blood!

If I simply click HoD I believe the base dmg of each DoT will....on average....increase by 75%. (30 + 120= 150) Divide by 2 and I arrive at 75%.

Using the same calculation method I believe that while active ....the Blood nuke Chaotic power will increase the base dmg of my DoTs by an average of 100%.

So....75% or 100%? Well that's a pretty easy answer...right? Not so fast.

Blood causes Chaotic to activate one out of 4 casts. So.... 3/4 of the time you receive no benefit. When it is active it creates a miniscule 25 counters which get used up quickly. Also....and of significant importance: 1% of the time you cast Blood....Chaotic Weakness results. This means for at least the next 4 ticks every single DoT that is on the mob receives a 25% penalty to base damage.

While I was testing this method my results indicated that once in a great while I'd have a monster parse. The variance was skewed to my advantage. Other times my results were very clearly sub par compared to my preferred method. On average.....my limited testing has indicated that if I would change to a Believer In Blood (honestly I kinda wanna)....my average dmg created during a fight would be less.

Once again. This is my current belief. I'm asking. No begging....for someone to demonstrate why and how my beliefs are flawed. Thx!
  2. Venau Augur

Please demonstrate how.
    Frogmancer likes this.
  3. Brohg Augur

You're being over-general to sound wise, but you're just plain in the wrong thread, doomcasters. Necromancers don't work like that.
    gotwar, Sancus, kizant and 1 other person like this.
  4. Frogmancer Augur

Yeah, that's 100% what he said. He definitely didn't tell you that you're trying to insert yourself and your over-generalized ideas into a conversation with high end necromancer theorycrafters, and that you should stop because you sound kind of uninformed. You do you, buddy.
    Sancus likes this.
  5. Brohg Augur

Socialling all burns together costs major damage for necros, they are not like wizards where you just pile up 8 things all at once. Each effect is staggered to get the full stack applying at the right time.
    Nearly all their burns are multiplicative, too; again unlike wizards.
    Necro burns also have far more to do with the necro's schedule than the event's, entirely different from wizards. Wizard spins up now is no different than spins up two minutes later, but for necromancers can halve their overall damage. There's no option to go early to get a minute earlier repeat except on extremely specific event durations.
    Frogmancer and Sancus like this.
  6. Nifty Slacker Augur

I've been leveling in scorched woods recently, and everyone's advice has helped me out a lot. However, the dichotomic's cooldown is bothering me. I'm often boxing an Enchanter, and when I bring 2-3 mobs back to camp the dichotomic is usually on cooldown for the second mob.

Can I get some feedback? It's certainly a good dot, should I just save it for burns and leave it out of my regular rotation?
  7. Brohg Augur

It's powerful. Use it when it's up.
    Frogmancer likes this.
  8. Frogmancer Augur

Yup. It's worth casting on cooldown.
  9. Sancus Augur

This might be of use. Right now it's set up for raid variables, but you're welcome to copy it and play around with it a bit, the inputs are in the second tab. It could probably use swift DoTs added too. Hopefully it isn't too confusing, I made it mostly for myself when I was mildly interested in Necroing (my Necro is still 105, though, so it is a little theoretical).

It's not perfectly applicable to this thread, but I feel like there aren't many good resources for Necro info or good discussions on Necro things, so it seemed like a reasonable opportunity to share it.
  10. Brohg Augur

Unless I'm missing the mechanism, your spreadsheet doesn't appear to be equipped to differentially apply Focus AAs (SPA 413 16%) only to dots lv101+ ? I found in my investigations that made a big difference in whether -- particularly Pyre of Hazarak, Ignite Thoughts, Dissolution make the team.

Easy to run it twice, of course, but side-by-siding them isn't possible
  11. Sancus Augur

There's a column for Focus AAs, and it's just manually entered for each DoT. A number of those DoTs don't have 16 in that column. I could see an argument for a level column which would allow for an increased level of automation (for a few other things as well), and if someone wanted to iterate on this and add that it would be cool. It's certainly possible to add any of those spells you listed fairly easily and run a side by side comparison, though. Unless I'm misunderstanding?

Edit: In general an ideal spreadsheet would include things like level, target type, focus-ability, etc so that you wouldn't need to manually enter things. That's a bit beyond the scope of what I needed for my brief foray into Necromancy. The general idea was "I want to compare multiple DoTs side by side and be able to change variables for all of them rather than calculating the damage of each individual DoT in each individual situation." I think it's good enough for that, but from a usability perspective it's atrocious. I designed the spreadsheet for myself so it's not really clear, if you were to add a new DoT, which parts should be implemented manually vs should be calculated. "Base Damage" through "Type 3" need to be filled in manually, anything beyond that you should be able to autofill the formulas. There are better ways to accomplish that, but the current method seems functional.
    Brohg likes this.
  12. Venau Augur

I had a flashback here:) What level is your Dicho? If I recall correctly......unless you've leveled it a bit through TBM progression as well as raids......it just might be something you don't use very often. How much dmg per tick are you getting?
  13. Brohg Augur

It varies some, but only from "a lot more than every other dot" to "even more more than every other dot". It's powerful right from the vendor purchased rank
  14. Venau Augur

I thought I'd comment on creating a single key for all burn resources. I don't do this. However....if you are in a certain type of group and the mob will be dead in around a minute.......this actually could be useful.
  15. Venau Augur

Sounds about right. For some reason I recall having trash gear and mana being an issue at some rare points. Perhaps that was before our current mana recouperating abilities.

It's been a while since I played a necro without max AA and raid gear. There's a huge difference IIRC.
  16. Venau Augur

One more thing Nifty

Just wanted to make sure u know that you cannot twin cast your Dicho ability.
  17. Tomdre New Member

This is untrue

Unless you have your bifold, I would refrain from using this dot until atleast rk5, especially while soloing.
  18. Venau Augur

I think he may be eluding to the fact that during a mostly typical raiding situation......many of us will strategically stack all of our critical damage multipliers during a certain burn phase while we have our full compliment of twinned DoTs and violent proliferations running at the same time for a huge amount of damage.

Your post seems to indicate you believe that using them separately produces better results. At least that's how it comes off to me. No biggie either way. I'm not here to argue.
  19. ---Xislaben--- Augur

Your pet is out dpsing you! Wait, not that kind of burn.
    Frogmancer likes this.
  20. menown Augur

Multi-binds work great for several classes. However, they do not work very well for the Necro class. Necro burns are all focusing on increasing the damage of individual DoT ticks, not the whole duration of the spell. The exception to this is twincasting a DoT of course.

Once you have figured that out, your goal to maximizing DPS is to stack as many DoTs as possible before you start your burns, AND maximize the burn duration before the NPC target dies. That second part is tricky if you don't have prior knowledge on the length of time for the encounter/event/named. You don't want burns to still be going after your target is dead.

I suggest that you look into the durations of your burn abilities (Glyph, Hand of Death, Third Spire, Anguish BP, Embalmer's Carapace), and then stagger them in such a way that your longest burn abilities will be cast first and your shortest abilities are cast last. For maximum burn potential (only related to 3 minute fights or longer), you will want to make sure all your burns are up for the entire duration that your Doom Effects are up. You will also want to start your Gift of Deathly Resolve a bit prior to your Doom Effects begin so that when all your other burns are going, your main rotation will be under the twincast effect. This is a tricky balance of course.

The other thing that I would do is look into setting up triggers and timers for when other classes are using their Crit Rate modifiers. It is so easy to reach 100% crit rate, and you don't want to waste a click if you are already at the cap. Look into Auspice of the Hunter, Illusions of Granduer, Fierce Eye, and Bard Epic. If you have your epic 2.5 and max AA, you will be at a static 80% crit rate. Some of the above abilities can cap your crit rate by themselves, like Auspice or the Bard's FE/Epic Combo. IoG by itself will not cap your crit rate, and if you are burning at that time, use your Anguish BP to cap you out. Otherwise, save Anguish BP for when those other class abilities are not active. Bard's FE/Epic combo last for 2 minutes and are on a 4 minute reuse if I remember correctly. That alone guarantees you 100% crit rate half of the time.
    Nifty Slacker likes this.