Need help choosing a class/server

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Liquidsw0rdz, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Liquidsw0rdz New Member

I've been a long time player, now coming back. I was gonna pick up a month of gametime (You can still buy gamecards, right? edit: Looked into it, I can use a 1500sc card for a month time) soon and make a new char. I'm torn between SK, beastlord, and mage. Also don't know which server. Definitely not gonna do progression, since I like to molo.

Please let me know what the benefits to each class are, and help me pick a server. I think right now it's between Stromm and Vox. I have a necro on Stromm but I don't like kiting too much, I want a more straight-forward class, but always have something to do (ie, not hit autoattack and go watch TV like molo'ing a warrior). Having the option to hit autoattack and watch TV isn't a bad thing though.

Random note... I just checked my account and it's 9 years old today. Activated 10/31/2003. Something about Halloween makes me EQ, I guess
    Geozen likes this.
  2. Geozen Journeyman

From what I hear Vox is a newer server with a larger level spread throughout the content. And as far as having a pet/merc any of those 3 classes should be fine for you. I have been away a long time so I won't give tips on your classes because I don't know whats best for what anymore. I always liked SK's though :)
  3. Vivamort Augur

Test Server, unless you intend to raid at a high level at some point would be my suggestion for a server. Especially if you like to molo... because at the beginning, if you go to test server, you will likely do a lot of it.

Benefits
    x2 xp all the time
    Gold Status
    Access to all expansion
    /resetaa available
    All Vet AAs for all toons

Challenges
    Low population
    weak bazaar selection because of above.
  4. Draconic Journeyman

You can also check us out on Trakanon, we are a casual progression raiding guild, currently at PoP, we allow mercs and have groups from lvl 1-65 going most of the day.
  5. Liquidsw0rdz New Member

Definitely want to play with other people. I just accept the reality that I can't always find a group. The ability to get something done while trying to find people is awesome.

I'm interested in raiding despite having no knowledge of it. I used to do it on WoW and it was fun.
  6. Lucidan New Member

Beastlord is probably the most well rounded choice here, but you should ask yourself if you want to tank or dps to help narrow your decision. As for the server most of the servers have a decent population with a couple of raid guilds hanging around so basically go to one find some groups, talk in general and make friends as soon as you can.
  7. Liquidsw0rdz New Member

I was leaning beastlord as well. How is shadowknight damage?
  8. Xirtket Augur

Any of those classes would be fun to play.

I prefer my necro, the new pet foci/aa make them a pretty viable tank you can use in conjunction with a merc cleric.

So you don't always have to kite, you can pet tank now as well, broadening your soloing or "moloing" capabilities.

Necros also fair pretty well in groups now, due to the newer fast acting dots we can rack up some respectable dps in a short amount of time.

Not sure when you stopped playing, I came back about 4 months ago from a 3 year break and it felt like a very different game in some aspects.

Welcome back to EQ!!
  9. fransisco Augur

Sks are not a dps class. Some might say they do the best damage out of the tanks, but you need to be very patient to kill something with an SK.

Beastlords can be great, but if you are going to be mainly soloing (post 70), you may want to reconsider. Your pet cannot tank while you are in melee range. So unless you have a tank there, you can't melee much.
    While a tank merc would fix that, a BL can't reasonably play cleric without frequent med breaks and no named fights.

Please keep in mind my descriptions above are for players WITHOUT raid gear. When your over geared for content, anything is possible
  10. Fenthen aka Rath

If you don't like the Necro, I wouldn't bother with the Mage. Both are similar (pet tanking, caster doing the damage) but Necros solo better. At 95 (or before) Mage pets are beasts and can often solo tank content with maxed pet AAs; but Necro pets are beefy too.

Beastlords are now given a Feign Death ability, so you can AFK in a spot like Necros can. I play a Mage, it's pretty weak until later on.

Also, Shadow Knights, and other tanks, are hard to level up and get groups until much later. Unless you have a group of friends or higher levels to power it up, you're gonna find a lonely world being replaced by merc tanks.

Beastlords, although I have no interest in them, seem to have substantial utility in every stage of the game, a rabid pet, good damage output, useful buffs, etc. Also a pretty easily soloable epic 1.0 at like level 50.
  11. Borek-VS Augur

Thought I'd add this in here, because I have somewhat contrary opinions on the classes.

Necro: powerful soloer, aggro kiting 50-95. You may be able to pet tank at 95 with strong AAs and top pet focus, but can get there without. Not what you are looking for.

Mage: also powerful soloer. Pets weak 50-60 (unless you have epic 1.0). Also dependent on pet AAs and pet focus, better able to pet tank.

Beastlord: weak 70-80 (pets and personal tanking). Pet tanking/clericing not really practical, but good utility.

SK: most soloable tank. Ability to solo for exp post 70 pretty good. If you want to tank for groups, get your AAs and gear sorted first.
    Geroblue likes this.