Need advice for a Coirnav player that just can't seem to choose a class.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastrom, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Hinastrom Elder

Maybe i'm just overthinking it, I don't know.
    I have chanter/cleric/shaman/ranger at 40 or so now.

I love chanter, but they sound awful to raid as overall
    I love cleric, but I depise CH chains.
    I could see myself raiding as shaman, but group invites have noticeably slowed.
    Ranger seems to have no noticeable downside, although they don't get groups like cleric/chanter do obviously.

I don't especially like trueboxing, and the fact that I have to play keyboard/mouse games while laying on my back or side in bed cause of medical reasons makes it all the harder. If this seems like the obvious route for me though, I could try to make it work somehow.

I want to raid, but my window of opportunity to be 60 and ready to go for luclin keying/progression in time is rapidly closing, with how slow this exp rate is. Missing out on that early keying rush would make it pretty difficult for me to catch up I feel.

I know the stuff about how I feel about classes is largely subjective, but any input?

edit: Wanted to add that my only TLP raid experience was on a necro, who I loved but ultimately felt not very viable, and on a beastlord at 65 in ldon era...which was a joke, that class is awful until later. So not much to go on.
  2. Delphwind Augur

Chanter is pretty much the only DPS class at 50+. Most people end up in Velks at around 42+ so you are going to be spending a lot of time there. With a Hunter pet you will be doing 300+ DPS with the pet alone, while VERY good rogues and monks will be pulling 70-110 most of the time. You ARE the group, we are just here to support you.

Also, even if there is one chanter charming in a group, you cant go wrong with two, so you will ALWAYS find a group.

If you main a cleric, expect to get into any guild you want, and get geared quickly. However levels 1-45 are pretty slow. Most groups are happy enough to have a druid or shaman healing and groups might be a bit slower to get, but at 45+ in velks you wont be LFG for long.

Rangers are in a rough spot right now in the 45+ game. They dont do tier 1 DPS, and are WAY behind chanters. YOu can get into groups as a tank at pretty much any level. Even in chanter groups sometimes they like to have a ranger or knight around to snap aggro off a mezzed mob, also Melee DPS will love you for your predator buff. In Luclin (which comes out in about 4 weeks) you become a headshot king. You will carry groups in GE and be wanted just as much as enchanters are right now.

A Shaman is your best friend. They can buff the hell out of your pet and malo it (which is almost necessary). After that grab a cleric to heal, and a monk to pull and that's all you really need. Everything else is dead weight. However most guilds are not recruiting shaman as most of their raid utility can be filled by a buff box.

If you like Chanters, you can't really go wrong. However raiding might be dull as most of the time you wont be able to charm, and if you do you have to be VERY careful, as your pets threat is YOUR threat on a raid mob.
  3. a_librarian Augur

Chanter raiding is as awful as it seems. If raiding is your goal do not pick a class based on power in the group game.

I'd suggest sticking it out with the shaman if you like the idea of healing and buff/debuff as a raid role. You need to put in a lot of effort to get a group quickly and reliably as any class besides enchanter/cleric. Find tanks you like playing with and build a full group around your duo and get familiar with good camps for your level.

I don't think you will have a problem finding a raiding guild as a shaman, pretty much nobody wants to bring a box over a competent player that shows up consistently.
  4. a_librarian Augur

Also I'd not worry about missing the keying rush, the first three or four weeks are just going to be a nightmare for everyone involved. Now is a pretty good time to finish leveling a character or two to 60 since there will be a lot of bonus xp events over the next couple months
  5. Hinastrom Elder

I knew it would be a mess, but won't getting caught up a month later be a pain? Having to coax people into going and doing it with you.
  6. Mrjon3s Augur

You have until thanksgiving to hit 60 or at least 50+. If you are in this for the long haul and don't get too pissed off buffing people I would suggest going shaman. A smart guild will take a main shaman over a boxed alt any day of the week. But anyways just get 50+ before luclin drops join a guild and go join the guild groups that are doing the lucid shards. At the end of the day a raid geared shaman is insanely strong.
  7. a_librarian Augur

Luclin is all pretty much new to me but what I've heard is many shard camps can be done solo. I think after the first month they will be campable solo during off peak hours. I think people will be working less intensely on keying alts during the course of the whole expansion. That's just my guess so somebody who has done all this can correct me if that's wrong.

I'd start looking for guilds now and seeing what fits your schedule and what their minimum level to join is. I remember last year they did two full weeks of 50% bonus xp during November, so if you have time to play that month I bet you could be leveled for the initial rush if that's what you'd like to do.
  8. a_librarian Augur

As a druid main I'm incredibly envious of shaman's growth in power with each expansion and especially their 2.0 epic click. It's just ridiculous
  9. Trevalon Augur

Chanters are super boring to raid with. But they are needed on raids and because they are so boring to play many guilds will usually be looking for 1 or 2, but if you dont want to be bored out of your mind don't play a chanter.

Cleric will get an instant invite to pretty much any guild, but if you hate CH chains dont play one - thats all you do most raids.

Shamans are pretty good. They solo fairly well and are a boon for guilds. Also its nice to have 3-5 main shamans in a guild so alot of guilds tend to have openings for at least 1 shaman. Gotta love buffing and slowing and off healing cause that's most of what you do in raids.

Rangers are a ton of fun. I actually think rangers may be the most "fun" class IMO, just cause they have some good spells, good buffs, and start doing pretty good DPS come Luclin+. They are also a great box class cause they can just sit back and plink away at mobs. On raids your wanted cause of your DPS Luclin-OOW/PoR - then after that you still do decent DPS but your buffs become very important and your wanted for that.

Honestly I have been thinking of TRYING to level on Coirnav and I have been thinking of going Ranger/Chanter 2 box. Chanter will get the ranger into groups and I can just set him to shoot mobs while I play chanter in group then I raid with the Ranger.

I dunno, well see