Necromancer box

Discussion in 'Casters' started by 2kliks, Apr 5, 2017.

1. 2kliks New Member

I'm mostly interested in easy boxing, I have a necromancer currently 36, I've been flying through levels with pet, caster Merc, it seems relatively easy. Wanted to add a box for buffs and such I'm guessing things will become harder soon. I'm doing group content first cuz I haven't been around in a long time (2000) so I wanna just see the world a bit. I started levelling a druid for buffs/heal/tracking etc. I was wondering since I don't see it listed often if a necro/druid combo with caster and healer Merc is a good idea? I'm not a great boxer yet (tried with a lowb to help druid since he's a bit weak early), figure the healer Merc can pick up druid slack until I get good.
    I'm using two machines tho so I can just hit keys with my offhand .
    Would appreciate some constructive feedback!! Constructive...:)
  2. 2kliks New Member

Oh to add, my necro acct is all access so better mercs, druid ftp so stinky mercs
  3. Tucoh Augur

I 5box a war/brd/cle/mage/berserker, all my advice is for level 105.

The most powerful combo with a necro is undoubtably SK. Second would be a warrior, which has the advantage of generally being easier to box than an SK. Those combinations would likely change your setup from Necro primary to tank primary, so you may not want to do that. Once your SK is geared you'll be able to pull multiple mobs, dot the out of them and tank them to death with your SK.

If you wanted to merely support your necro, a bard is probably the best choice. It will give you ADPS, help keep your pet up, selos and track. All while requiring fairly little effort to box. It's pretty impossibel for me to enjoy playing EQ on my warrior without my bard by my side. Druid is a good choice too, and you can probably get good at healing/nuking with macros whilst you execute your DoT rotation. Enchanter is also a great option.

If you wanted to add DPS, a wizard, ranger or berserker would make good choices. Berserker has the most DPS but is hardest to box, and you may have problems with aggro. Ranger is good for track.
  4. 2kliks New Member

Thanks, I'm probably going to add another box at some point as I've read 3 box ups your group power alot, at that point once I get my buttons made and everything looks good, I'll probably take you up on SK idea, since they've been strong since '99 sounds like a good choice when mobs start getting tough
  5. Rhaage Augur

Bards make good partners but then you're likely to run tank merc and cleric merc all the time unless you add another player.
    Shaman & druids are often good partners, both provide heals and some damage but you're still lacking a tank and you lose the bard mez, selo's and take a slight hit on pulling tools.

It's been my experience that warriors will outlive knights if a pull goes bad, but knights kill faster than warriors if things are going well. Knights also have more personal utility (invis, levitate, etc.) but have significantly more AA & spells to chase down which can be annoying for a "stand there and get beat on so I don't" boxed character.

For a 2nd box, bard or shaman are my two personal choices, ideally with a mage in your pocket for pet toys.

When you want to tackle 3, adding a warrior is likely to be the easiest path.
  6. 2kliks New Member

Thanks for all the good info, I'll play around a bit, level druid and bard on same acct, and see which I like more for my style and ease of box. Probably 3rd box will run the warrior since it sounds easier..And add a mage to that acct for toys. Awesome! I've been struggling with deciding these things, stressing out a little...Just wanna get back to seeing new places and having fun now!! :)
  7. Reincarnated Lorekeeper

Call me crazy, but I have played several necros, for years, and up until recently (Kunark) my main box was another necro. Necros are easy to set up hot buttons for, and the extra pet buys you some time if your main pet takes a crap.

As of now I am working on a Necro / Mage / Chanty. The DPS alone from those 3 is crazy, and the mage pet out tanks the necro by far, depending on the amount of AA invested.

As stated, a bard will help greatly, but he requires alot of attention if you plan to run the necro as the puller. Forget to turn those songs off and you will have a mess on your hands. On the other hand, bards are a huge utility, and offer lots of goodies.

I am running on the theory that the more pets the better anymore, reason I am trying to do the nec/ mage combo, with the chanty for dps / slow / cc.
  8. Kallitank Elder

With a bard in group I'd use him for pulling.
  9. Tucoh Augur

10. Reincarnated Lorekeeper

Don't forget necros have effigy also which is a fade, it used to be 100% accurate but the powers that be felt we needed a challenge so now it fails every now and then. That being said, the bard can fade in an instant, and over and over again. You can crawl through a river of mobs with a hard and come out smelling like roses on the other end.
  11. RangerGuy Augur

The necro fade nerf was probably one of the dumbest changes made. They fixed fade effects that were broken and not failing at their intended rate. Then just out of spite the necro one that was supposed to be 100% and had been 100% for like 4 years and on the first class to have feign death in game was just flat out nerfed down to 90% and put at the lower cap instead of at the level that every other puller and quasi puller was set at.

Still hoping it gets reversed or they add AA ranks to necro version making it 100% again and at highest cap they go to for pulling capable classes.