Necro Solo

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Bluecap, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Bluecap Journeyman

New to this game. Will find groups when I can of course. What type of Warrior merc should I use. Do I put points into anything? What should I put them into?

Thanks a bunch!
  2. Nekk Augur

As a nec, you should be using the best clr merc, can't remember atm, but I think it's the journeyman one on reactive; but you should only use it when you need to, as you'll get more exp without it. I would put points into sta first, then int.
    Bluecap likes this.
  3. Nekk Augur

Also if you meant skill points, I would do alteration first then conjuration.
    Bluecap likes this.
  4. Gialana Augur

A lot of the advice will depend on your level.
    If you have an all access quest and are below level 85, you'll want to select a Journeyman mercenary, tier 1. When you go to purchase a mercenary, it defaults to the Apprentice mercenaries. There's a drop-down in the upper part of the hiring window that will let you switch to Journeyman.

At some levels, a damage caster mercenary will be faster, and at other levels, the tank mercenary will be better. Both can tank just fine to at least level 50. Some people say the tank mercenary can take you to level 70, at least. I just don't have the experience of relying solely on the mercenary at those levels, though. As long as your tank or damage mercenary can tank mobs with its innate regeneration (and the Journeyman have higher regen than Apprentice), then I would recommend avoiding the healer mercenary.

You may also decide to truly solo, which is a possibility as a necromancer, especially if you only fight non-summoning mobs.
    Bluecap likes this.
  5. atchoom Lorekeeper

an erring with EM { enhanced minion } will boost your pet stats , the npc's in pok . alerynlil the loyal in pok ( lv 80 ~ 85 ) and iason yureska who is not far from loyalist have several items for sale ,who is good to have * check for : elaborate summoner's ear stud
    Bluecap likes this.
  6. atchoom Lorekeeper

depending of your level for the EM earring btw,
    https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Pet_focus
    at low level it don't matter much to have one or not since a melee or caster or tank merc can carry you until lv 50 or a little higher , you will see anyway .
    Bluecap likes this.
  7. Bluecap Journeyman

Thank you Nekk.
  8. Bluecap Journeyman

Thank you Gialana.
  9. Bluecap Journeyman

Thank you atchoom.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

Tank merc: HP then AC
    Healer merc: HP, MP, AC

Make sure to max a category first before you put points into another category.
    For rogue mercs its a bit different.
    Bluecap likes this.
  11. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Necros don't need mercs...you'll be much better at your class if you play without one not to mention you will gain xp faster and more per kill
    Bluecap likes this.
  12. Bluecap Journeyman

Thank you Iven.
  13. Bluecap Journeyman

oh ok, thank you Deux.
    Deux likes this.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

Not all pets are the same. Pets have a class based on actual classes. For instance, a mage earth elemental is a warrior, but a mage water elemental is a rogue. I believe the NEC has the same situation, where some are rogues and some are warriors, but I don't know exactly.

The NEC pet can also benefit from using summoned mage items, such as armor and weapons. This will make your pet stronger. Enhanced minion items was also mentioned earlier.

A NEC has no use for a warrior merc, though I haven't tried to use a warrior merc at low levels without a cleric. I have heard you can use them and they just regen really fast when the fight is over. So if you can do that and it works for you, then do it as long as you can, but eventually that will not work.

Typically, the NEC has 2 ways to molo. Pet tanking and kiting. Pet tanking the NEC wants to use a cleric merc. Kiting the NEC wants to use a Wizard merc. I doubt you will be able to hold enough aggro to use a rogue merc while kiting. You can buy extra merc slots with your DBC. You can consider buying additional merc slots so you can swap between two merc types.

Also what Deux said about not using mercs. NEC are probably the most independent and versatile class in the game.

Kiting vs Pet tank depends on the content. Open areas where the mobs do not summon can be more efficient to kite. While tighter areas or mobs that summon require a pet tank. Also, NEC can mez, charm, paci, slow, etc the undead, so against undead, NEC are functionally ENC. So if you can find undead to fight, then it is ideal.

Putting your points into anything isn't very important, you will level up naturally. What is important however is your specialization. I do not remember exactly, it will be easy to google, but the first specialization you take over the cap will become your specialization. You wont be able to skill up any others above the cap except the first one to do it. As a NEC, this will be alteration. You will get a second specialization at higher level with AA. I don't know if NEC prefer Evocation or Conjuration.
    Bluecap likes this.
  15. Bluecap Journeyman

Thank you Vumad for all the information. I appreciate it.
  16. Videean Blackhart New Member

Necro's are the gods of playing solo, and a merc isn't really necessary unless you're planning to pet tank. Myself, I just use root rot... snare, root, DoT, rinse, repeat :) IF you do get a merc, you only need a healer as your pet will be your tank, and you are the DPS. If you're all access, then get a Journeyman Cleric set on either reactive or balanced... you'll figure out which works better after a while. I DO pet tank on occasion, but only for Named mobs or ones that summon. Make sure you have all the focus items required for enhancing your DoTs, and if you can, get your 1.5 Epic weapon... it's a must have for all Necro's. I've always used my pet to tank or off tank, so i'm not sure how much of a dps difference there is between the tank and rogue pets. Also, as already stated, Enhance Pet Foci are a must have!!!! I'd advise against kiting mobs unless you're certain you have the space for it... IMHO it's not an effective method for Necro's as we want as many DoT's stacked as quickly as possible!!! ;) Root rot works quite well... just try to stay away from gear that have a DD proc when casting spells or it may break root more often than you like. There are a couple AA's that make this much easier as their durations are longer than the ones on spells, but it can be done just using your basic root spell. Good luck and safe hunting!!!
    Bluecap likes this.
  17. Bluecap Journeyman

Thanks so much Videean! I really appreciate all that information. I will def be using your advice.
  18. Tucoh Augur

Why is 1.5 epic a must have for necros?
  19. Nekk Augur

It's not anymore. In fact, it's been nerfed to the point of now being useless.
    Bluecap likes this.
  20. Szilent Augur

The necro epic 1.5-2-2.5 are exceptionally powerful at the level they can first be obtained. They do not, as many say all level 65-70 items shouldn't, retain that puissance for level 96+ characters.
    Bluecap likes this.