Necro/Shm dot changes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Paravar, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Vrinda Augur

In the solo/molo/group game, you might rarely need to burn a mob. If you raid and you don't burn when it's called for, you're doing it wrong. In general, the faster your damage ramps up, the better off you are. There are exceptions, of course, that call for controlled dps, but your raid leader will let you know when that's the case.

In answer to what Aristo plans to do with necro dots, I don't know any more than you do. It wouldn't be surprising to discover the first pass was way out of balance (not so much mana cost as actual dps potential) and needed a second look. They're also going to have to take a serious look at how DoT aggro is applied.
  2. Vanlaven Elder

I dont raid so this is an honest question, not sarcastic but do necros currently go mana negative on a burn in raids? As far as i know we always stack as many dots as possible and a burn really only consists of a few clickies / abilities that make those dots do more dmg. Only thing i know of that makes things cost more mana is funeral pyre and i would assume u run that with blood magic up....which would REALLY hurt with the new dot mana costs lol.
  3. Aelen Augur

Burn, as a concept, across all classes over the last many years, mostly doesn’t imply a loss of sustained.

There exist ways to trade efficiency for power in a few classes, but the concept of burning is dominated mostly by what you describe. Overlapped abilities that create synergy, which makes for a damage output peak.

That usually results in better damage to resource efficiency, especially taken as a total package including everything a class is going to use.

You legitimately cannot max out your total damage contributed without doing well both during burn and when burn is over as well. It’s pretty pronounced for us, since it has to counterbalance our lousy ramping period and compensate for it.

Currently, I go mana negative burn or no burn. Over a sufficiently long event, I can run out of resources and have to drop a tool or two. With support and proper timing for use of mana sustaining tools, that takes a while, but it does happen.

I dunno what they’re doing to us, but I would be surprised if I didn’t end up with the option of chucking my entire mana bar in three minutes. Good chance we’re just not gonna look like the same class at the end if it’s following the current pattern.

We probably won’t ever fit the description of a burst class due to mechanical issues, DoTs being what they are. Whereas pretty much all other classes have a frontload option for when something has to disappear in 10 seconds flat.

But the only definition of a sustained class I’d guess we would fill would be having a higher than normal Total Damage Done figure. Cause I don’t think we’ll be keeping the endless subsistence of our full DoT stack anymore. Meaning more pronounced peaks and troughs.

Side note on Funeral Pyre

Funeral pyre isn’t great in a group setting. In a raid setting it’s mostly an outright Noobtrap. Looks like it should be something by the description, but most often just shows someone doesn’t know what their stuff does.

It was designed with a very specific purpose that it never performed well. So it’s a niche ability whose niche almost doesn’t exist. Biggest problem is it’s competing with other SPA 124 stuff, but there are other things making it harder for it to net a positive even when it would actually do something.

It’s one of those things that should probably be cleaned up/reworked on the development side so the game is a little more friendly to people who don’t play with the intention of doing math.
  4. Vanlaven Elder

Yea i never use funeral pyre unless im unlikely to go past one round of dots from one spell set on a mob where dps now is more important than more dps later. Its obviously a loss in efficiency but i didnt know that was compounded by stacking issues in raids. I though the need to cast fewer dots would make it more useful since u could easily refresh the oldest ones before they dropped even with the shortened duration but with stacking issues and likely new found mana issues it will remain largely useless i guess. And probably suicide with blood magic and the new mana costs lol
  5. Janakin Augur

The debuff slots on mobs should be arrays of debuffs so that one line/spell from multiple people would go into one array debuff slot. Maybe a way to do this is to have each dot of a certain line/spell not take up a new slot but increase a counter on one there previously. Perhaps with diminishing returns if it adds a new fade timer to the previous one.
  6. Vanlaven Elder

They are already solving the same problem by making the dots simply not stack with others of the same line and buffing their dmg / mana cost to compensate